• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
PCS just updated UAE starlist for La Vuelta with Ayuso on it

https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/uae-team-emirates-2022
if confirmed we will have more drama than on a Mexican soap opera :) Evenepoel Vs Almeida Vs Ayuso :hearteyes:

Man, the PT jihad is about to have a field day with this, because there is absolutely zero chance Ayuso is going to the Vuelta to work for anyone. Same with Soler.

I honestly think Soler has nothing on João. Not quite so sure about Ayuso. I suppose we'll see.

Remco says he's just going stage hunting.

As someone pointed out, he did not say that. The source of this article, just as other articles selling the same story, is Velonews. Velonews has to be one of the biggest jokes, reporting fake news and mistranslating or mistranscribing stories on a near daily basis. So what happened is Velonews has rehashed a story of well over a week ago, where all major newsoutlets were aware of since it was an online press conference. Velonews now decided to ignore some parts of what he said, and focus on other parts of what he said nearly 2 weeks ago, July 30th.

What he said during this press conference was that the main goal is to win one or two stages, considering lots of things can go wrong for GC. He will see how things develop for GC but whatever happens there will be a bonus. In closing, he said he would be happy with a stagewin and a top 10 in GC. So even if he was downplaying his GC focus, he didn't say he had no interest in it, or would not even try to ride for GC.

As someone pointed out, he did not say that. The source of this article, just as other articles selling the same story, is Velonews. Velonews has to be one of the biggest jokes, reporting fake news and mistranslating or mistranscribing stories on a near daily basis. So what happened is Velonews has rehashed a story of well over a week ago, where all major newsoutlets were aware of since it was an online press conference. Velonews now decided to ignore some parts of what he said, and focus on other parts of what he said nearly 2 weeks ago, July 30th.

What he said during this press conference was that the main goal is to win one or two stages, considering lots of things can go wrong for GC. He will see how things develop for GC but whatever happens there will be a bonus. In closing, he said he would be happy with a stagewin and a top 10 in GC. So even if he was downplaying his GC focus, he didn't say he had no interest in it, or would not even try to ride for GC.

Knowing Evenepoel mindset he will surely aim for the GC! No doubts about it, if he can win it, he will. And guess who will benefit from his hunger for wins? We the cycling fans!! I'm already in Vuelta mode :p
Would be a dream come true if Evenepoel and Almeida had a clash of titans untill the very end of this year Vuelta

Man, the PT jihad is about to have a field day with this, because there is absolutely zero chance Ayuso is going to the Vuelta to work for anyone. Same with Soler.

I honestly think Soler has nothing on João. Not quite so sure about Ayuso. I suppose we'll see.

I'm already drooling thinking about the possibility of seeing some real drama with UAE at La Vuelta :p

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
So, what's the verdict? Could Mads P. get a new job as a graphics designer, or should he probably just stick to riding his bike?

297882702_10160714881930934_6064025029229944202_n.jpg

Trek announced their line-up. It isn't very inspiring but to my great surprise, Mads Pedersen will go.

I thought he was going for the one-day WT races.

Other than him, López will try to follow up on his great Giro, and Tiberi will get his GT debut. There is only one ITT where he can crash this time round.

Pedersen
Juanpe López
Elissonde
Hoole
Bernard
Tiberi
Cataldo
Kirsch

Teams are starting to announce their Vuelta squads. Here's Bora:

I'm patiently waiting for Jumbo & Rogla.
Hmmm, the team lacks mountain support domestiques. There are the four leaders with Higuita, Hindley, Buchmann and Keldermann and then? In the beginning of the race they will not be able to control the race until at least two or three of their leaders drop out of GC competition.

Hmmm, the team lacks mountain support domestiques. There are the four leaders with Higuita, Hindley, Buchmann and Keldermann and then? In the beginning of the race they will not be able to control the race until at least two or three of their leaders drop out of GC competition.
It's the Vuelta. They only need mountain doms before the last climb on stage 20, more or less.

Prediction time:

GC: The absolute favourite for me is Almeida, for him this might be his biggest chance for a GC succes in a grand tour with Poggy and Bernal absent en Roglic not fit. Roglic is a big question mark with his fitness. I think Jumbo woun't let him start without expecting him to be fit enough to win GC. Almeida & Roglic battling it out for GC.

Other contenders for GC are Carapaz, Superman Lopez (is he riding for sure?) and Hindley (if he doesn't have to work for Kelderman). I asume Landa woun't be good enough considering his Burgos result. Lopez and Carapaz will lose time TT and/or smaller mountains/hilly stages whereas Almeida and Roglic will be less likely to miss out.

Another big questionmark will be Remco. I don't think he'll be able to really be up there GC wise but I do think he'll decide the GC on one of his big raids. If a few of the other GC candidates can follow him on one of his raids in the smaller mountains, they could end up taking minutes on contenders that missed out.

That QS team is far more entertaining than the tour one, Remco, Masnada and Alaphilippe all have it in them to do something ridiculous at some point in the race, it's a shame Cavendish isn't going so they can have all the troublemakers on one bus.

Same with the UAE team, if Catalunya is anything to go by then we're in for a treat, maybe they are rushing along Ayuso to help Pogacar next year but the kid has a bit of an independent streak to put it mildly so hopefully we get some throwing out of the earpiece type antics.

Trek announced their line-up. It isn't very inspiring but to my great surprise, Mads Pedersen will go.

I thought he was going for the one-day WT races.

Other than him, López will try to follow up on his great Giro, and Tiberi will get his GT debut. There is only one ITT where he can crash this time round.

Pedersen
Juanpe López
Elissonde
Hoole
Bernard
Tiberi
Cataldo
Kirsch
WTF , they are taking a random neopro and
Kirsch but don't take an in-form rider with great panache like Gianluca Brambilla

Pedersen presumably using it for Worlds form

I don't believe this 4 leader stuff for BORA. Buchmann and Keldermann should be domestiques. It's time for Bora to say goodbye to the GC Buchman project just for German marketing reasons and Keldermann hasn't been in GC form all season.
Higuita has shown to be capable this season, parcour suits him and he was planned to ride Vuelta all season, he deserves leadership with Hindley.

Bennett is obviously a purely symbolic token of good will, I suspect this will be a disaster GT for him but maybe with no one expecting anything anyway he'll suddenly find his form.

Should have brought Fabbro who was spending his season to peak for this. Leave Sam Bennett at home, let Van Poppel sprint, have an extra climber
Yeah, Fabbro without a GT this year is a bit of a surprise. Don´t know whats behind this.. Of course letting home Bennett for him would have been also an option, but I think this would have been the end between Bora and Bennett already after a year..
I think I would have switched Fabbro for van Poppel (who already rode the tour).

TRENDING THREADS