• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sending Ayuso to Vuelta without proper GT prep sounds a bit risky.

He's done Valencia, Catalunya, Romandie and Dauphiné this year. That seams like a very reasonable road towards the Vuelta. Has he been doing specific training that would be detrimental regarding to a GT debut? I think mostly it should depend on how they bring him. I assume they will not try to win GC with him.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
PCS still has him on the Canadian races.
His chedule after Dauphiné has been all 1-day races. I guess they would have taken him to a stage race like Burgos or L'Ain if he was planned to ride the Vuelta.
I am not convinced they are doing it yet. Seems to be more of a PCS speculation than truth. We'll see.

View: https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1558132037327921153?t=MQtGuYsT2ZGeyU1gNnt51A&s=19

Yes, there is no such thing as four leaders, not even at Ineos. They know who can actually win this and the others will work for him. My money is on Hindley but we will see. Although clearly around here someone who has never finished a Grand tour and come 11th at Swiss is clearly more likely to win than someone who has beaten carapaz at the giro and come second at the Giro previously. I don't see it but I'll enjoy the entertainment in any case.

Hoping Roglic starts, and starts healthy.

Last First GT entry and win at La Vuelta was Hinault in 1978.

I understand the skepticism. I think we should look at Remco's debut GT ride in the Giro with some nuance. He was doing fairly well, but I think it was fairly clear he was still suffering psychologically from his crash at Lombardia. He's been quite good at descending recently. or at least it's not readily apparent that he's losing time from decents or can't keep up. His fitness at the Giro was clearly lacking.

I will readily admit that he is weak on gravel/dirt/cobbles. Climbging is a bit of mystery with him. He was quite strong in Norway and dominant on the Murgil at La Classica.

I really wish he didn't have the heat exhaustion episode at TDS. I do think that affected him for the remainder of the race in spite of winning the ITT.

Hindley does have CV in GTs. I do feel that if Remco can put it together for a GT he has a higher ceiling than anyone in the race. I think that's why there is strong sentiment in terms of him winning.

The main variables are going to be the temperature and of course the main bad luck actors, crashes, mechanicals, and echelons.

Should have brought Fabbro who was spending his season to peak for this. Leave Sam Bennett at home, let Van Poppel sprint, have an extra climber
That sounds reasonable to me. That said, Fabbro has never reached his 2021 Tirreno-Adriatico level again until now and he wasn't exactly great in Burgos, so let's wait and see. Maybe they don't want to send Aleotti to 2 gts in one season at this stage, but he would also be a capable helper on all kinds of terrain.

I'm not sure Ayuso is the bigger phenomenon compared to Rodriguez at this point. Ineos have kept him under wraps for his first seasons, but what i've seen of him this year has impressed me more than Ayuso. Obviously, Ayuso is over a year younger, but i think we'll have to see how this pans out. It's also possible one will turn into more of a Valverde type of rider and the other will turn into a full-fledged GT/C rider.

I'm also curious to see Tiberi here. I can't imagine he is going for a nice GC result at this point, but he's a talented rider and i think he could do well in a number of stages.
Rodriguez is without a doubt a fantastic rider, but what Ayuso is doing on the WT at 19 (!!!) is remarkable. Rodriguez really didn't sniff that at that point of his career. Time will tell who will be better, but objectively there can be no doubt who have had the best palmarés at 19 y/o.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Rodriguez is without a doubt a fantastic rider, but what Ayuso is doing on the WT at 19 (!!!) is remarkable. Rodriguez really didn't sniff that at that point of his career. Time will tell who will be better, but objectively there can be no doubt who have had the best palmarés at 19 y/o.
Yeah, Rodriguez had a nice results but his good GC placings have all been in smaller, short stage races. I'd be very surprised if he ends up in the Top 10 in GC in this Vuelta. I'm not sure about Ayuso in this Vuelta, but he's been more impressive in WT races.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic posted this philosophical pic on Instagram. What is he thinking about?

FaBz7zhWYAIzZtP

TRENDING THREADS