• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 10: Elche - Alicante, 30.9k (ITT)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone else want to pile on my admittedly sloppy post?:cool:I had Roglic's results sorted by distance, not by chronology, and was working on my phone while watching TV, so clearly I made some mistakes, as @Eddy Evenepoel pointed out. If I had known the lengths others would go to rebut my post, I might have been more careful.

Also, to be clear, I think Remco will beat Roglic by 30 seconds to a minute and win the ITT, so everyone can calm down. :D
Now include the gaps. 1s, 11s, 7s.
And Cancellara + Küng in 2016... Really? One was on the verge of retiring, the other was 4 years away of being a top contender. Guy in 2nd was... Brändle. Just 10s down.
Cancellara won the Olympics ITT later that year.
  1. 2019 European Championships 22.4km 1st (Evenepoel, Asgreen, Affini)
  2. 2022 Tour De Suisse Stage 8 25.6km 1st (Evenepoel, Thomas, Kung)
  3. 2022 Volto Algarve 32.2km 1st (Evenepoel, Kung, Hayter)
  4. 2022 Belgian NT 34.8km 1st (Evenepoel, Lampaert, Campenaerts)
  5. 2021 Belgian NT 37.6km 2nd (Lampaert, Evenepoel, Campenaerts)
  6. 2019 Belgian NT 38.3km 3rd (Van Aert, Lampaert, Evenepoel)
  7. 2021 WC 43.3km 3rd (Ganna, Van Aert, Evenepoel)
  8. 2021 Olympics 44.2km 9th (Roglic, Dumolin, Dennis)
  9. 2021 Chrono des Nations 44.5km 5th (Kung, Madsen, De Marchi)
  10. 2019 WC 54km 2nd (podium Dennis, Evenepoel, Ganna)
I honestly meant that as a rhetorical challenge pointing out its easier to criticize generally than it is to look up actual results and write them down, but you put in some work - thank you! These are reverse sorted by distance, and includes some non-WT results, but he won 4/10, a worse win percentage in the 10 longest than Roglic. If you look at just his World Tour level results, sorted by distance, here is what you get, which is 2/10 wins. That does include some shorts ITTs now that I look more closely.
But okay, as Eddy explains in the next post, the list is so bad that you're probably not the one to criticise here :tearsofjoy:
Sure, go ahead, pile on. I made some mistakes transcribing from the pcs list since I was on my phone and had it sorted by distance rather than date, and I didn't realize that filtering for WT results meant that some short ITTs were included in the top 10 longest. Here is the list of Roglic's ITTs sorted by distance so you can just look at the actual list yourself.
This is a strange list.
Olympics 21: great performance, but the parcour was very hard.
Vuelta 21: I don’t know why you mentioning beating Cavagna, he wasn’t at this Vuelta. Cort was second. Also here the parcour was pretty hard.
Itulzia 21: I don’t understand what you mean here. In 21 he won in front of Mcnulty and Vingegaard. In 22 he beat the guys you mention. Both 21 and 22 Itulzia ITT was pretty short (13,8km in 21, 7,5km in 22) so strange to put them in this context of longer TTs.
Giro 19: again a very hard TT with a big climb in to San Marino.
Giro 17: He didn’t do Giro 17
WC 17: there was a big climb at the end of that race.
Giro 16: beating Cancellara and Kung is a bit strange to use as performance level mark, as Brandle and Stake Laengen was second and third. Also this TT was a bit strange with a lot of downhill and a lot false flat.

Instead of the short TT in Itulzia you Should have put these instead:
  • Vuelta 19 (beating Bevin and Cavagna, but again pretty hilly course)
  • Vuelta 20 (beating Barta with 1 second because of a 1,8 km 14% climb at the end)
There are also a bunch of longer TTs where he didn’t contest for win, Dauphine 22 and Tour 21 (injured) comes to mind.

Roglic is a very, very good TTer, but it seems like he is a lot better when it’s a bit of uphill on the course. He is actually not proven on long, flat TTs. It’s a bit fun that we come to a race type in GT where Roglic is not proven and Remco is.
Under normal circumstances Remco should be held as a favorite over Roglic on a flat parcour. Now with Roglic injuries I will say it’s a sensation if he beats Remco. Time loss could be anything between 15-60 seconds. Impossible to say how bad Roglic really is affected by the Tour crash.
I got some dates wrong clearly, and man I am impressed with either your depth of knowledge or your research! I did not look at every single race to assess parcours, just did a quick scan of top 10 longest WT ITTS and how Roglic did in them. Agreed he is not on the Remco/Wout/Ganna level of long flat ITTs, but my point was that the Olympics ITT was not much of an outlier; he has won 5/10 of the longest WT ITTs he has contested and, as you pointed out, he was injured in some of the ones he did not win, and he still performed well in those.

Also, I referenced the big names he beat rather than whoever got second.
Remco is 22 and lost a year due to his crash and subsequently has a lot less TT's at top level so that argument is daft. Not sure he even has 10 WT TT's, lol.

If you want to look at long TT's, there is the 2019 WCC (2nd behind Dennis / ahead of Ganna, Küng, Roglic...), there is the 2021 WCC which was also flat (3rd behind Ganna, Van Aert / Ahead of Küng, Bissegger, Pogacar, Hayter, Affini, Asgreen...). There is the Suisse TT when he was in poor form and still managed to win and beat Thomas and Küng (with a small margin) in a flat 25k TT. There is the 2022 Algarve TT of 30km where he demolished Küng and put him back a minute, also beating Hayter. He also became NC TT this year, beating Campenaerts and Lampaert in a flat 35k TT. In the 2020 Algarve 20k TT he beat Küng and Dennis. Then there are the ECC which are a bit shorter (22.4k) but also flat. In 2019 he won it by beating Ganna, Affini, Küng, Asgreen... In 2021 he became 3rd, small margin behind Ganna and Küng.

But even if there are fewer references, the tendency is that he is either beating or at least contesting the big guys on longer and/or flatter TT's. And by big guys i'm not talking about Will Barta or Magnus Cort.
:D

But "a" sure as hell is not close to "o", and autocorrect wouldn't change a proper word and change the vowels randomly.

I'm sorry for having pointed it out, I know dyslexia is a thing and it shouldn't be made fun of.
Well I never said it was autocorrect, unless the word is repeatedly spelled wrong and than autocorrect will turn into autowrong. To be fair I did miss the “a”. Sometimes you have to throw in some pizazz.

You’re not making fun of, just going about your way of helping correct someone’s grammar.