• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 19: Talavera de la Reina - Talavera de la Reina, 138.3 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It is announced in the race rules though

article 8, part 1

2.6.027 is the 3km rule

Navacerrada with the false flat after Cotos is a weird case for me though
They are operating outside the rules of the sport if they do not allow the 3km rule there.
In the case of a duly noted incident in the last three kilometres of a road race stage, the rider or riders affected shall be credited with the time of the rider or riders in whose company they were...This article shall not apply where the finish is at the top of a hill-climb.
No space given there for 'at the discretion of the race organisers'. Not a hill-top finish, it is a rule.
I look forward to the legal battle if there is a delay causing incident in the last 3 km tomorrow.

The final needed a 1km climb at around 5% in the last 6 or 7kms to allow for a late breakaway to shake up the race.
Annoyingly, there actually is a similar option to give you something akin to that. When I did a re-route of the Vuelta in the route speculation thread (using all of the same starts and finishes as the Vuelta but changing some orders etc.), this was my equivalent of this stage:

8Ahunue.png

Sure, you can argue there's no need for Centenera and Pedro Bernardo based on what Unipublic wanted out of this stage - changes I'd made elsewhere were part of why I beefed this one up - but Segurilla there is 2,8km at 6% but mostly consistent, so although it's longer than you are suggesting it's also further from the finish to balance that.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
oh give it a break.

when you put a hard stage before another hard stage, the GCers conserve energy anyway. better to have this type of stage that will sap energy and make tomorrow even more volatile.

yesterday was likely the most exciting stage of the entire Vuelta. tomorrow could be even better.

or do you really prefer an MTF with 18% gradients in the last 2 kms so that GCers dare absolutely nothing until that point? At which time one of them roglafies everyone else by a few seconds and a bonus. Woot! Woot! Sooooo exciting! Never seen that before! (drenched in sarcasm)

yesterday was the best type of racing. tomorrow likely will be even better.
Or alternatively, they could have had a classic Ávila stage today.

• Love
Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Just finished my first longer stage watch of this years Vuelta edition, i.e. with 110k to go. And sorry haven't skimmed last half of the thread, so probably already mentioned here.
Whan an underwhelming experience as a viewer.
The few opportunities on seriously spoiling the Trek-train were all missed and even strangely helped by Bahrain.
They must've had confidence that they could take control of the sprint. If that'd been the case I think Wright might even had got it right.

Edit: OK, got to give Trek at least some credit for focusing on keeping the chain taut...

Last edited: