• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 20: Moralzarzal - Puerto de Navacerrada, 181.0k

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some here have really hit peak psychosis, it was to be expected if Evenepoel ever did really well in a GT but uncomfortable to read nonetheless

The utter BS you have to read here just to downplay the accomplishments of Evenepoel is just mindblowing. I will never understand People Who feel the need to do that. You can be a fan of another rider without feeling the need to downplay the competition.

The utter BS you have to read here just to downplay the accomplishments of Evenepoel is just mindblowing. I will never understand People Who feel the need to do that. You can be a fan of another rider without feeling the need to downplay the competition.

Yea and the otherway around aswell

Edit: I think with his Vuelta win Evenepoel shouldve for all intense and purposes shut up the haters; If your position was hell never do well in a GT you cant in good faith retreat to the position of "well yea he did well he even won, but its not really that impressive cause xyz". And what the peak fanboys are rationalizing I dont even want to get into.

Who is director of tv coverage? RTVE missed both Carapaz attacks on the front of the race at 15.5km and 7.2km, and didn't even bother to show replay from moto recordings

(rtve also missed heli shots of Rogla crash on last meters of stage 16, ok, heli coverage may not be as easy as moto coverage, I will not blame them for that)

Psychosis is when someone loses grip of reality.

Taking Evenepoels Vuelta win in which he took 2 Minutes on Enric Mas (something something timetrials) and fantasizing that this somehow means hes on par with Pogacar and Vingegaard is textbook loosing grip of reality, but you do you

Edit: I think with his Vuelta win Evenepoel shouldve for all intense and purposes shut up the haters; If your position was hell never do well in a GT you cant in good faith retreat to the position of "well yea he did well he even won, but its not really that impressive cause xyz"

I also said this in case you missed it

it's going to be close.

he could put it away if he betters pog and WvA at worlds, but that may be unlikely considering the vastly different prep. and if pog wins lombardy again... it's very close right now, but i feel like remco needs one more big victory to perhaps seal the deal.

a fantastic season no matter what for a 22 year old.
What one more big win? He already has two! The only issue would be if Van Aert or Pogacar wins the Worlds. If not, Vingegaard is the only real opposition...

What one more big win? He already has two! The only issue would be if Van Aert or Pogacar wins the Worlds. If not, Vingegaard is the only real opposition...

hmm the idea is if Pog or van Aert win the WCs or Lombardia, it becomes tough. That’s y he may need another big win.

as for Vingo. I completely disagree. Vingo’s TDF win was fabulous. But that cannot be the only criteria for a season long award. Only Pog and WvA are competitors.

Congratulations to Richard Antonio Carapaz Montenegro for a hat-trick.

I started watching the stage to see if there will be any action. After one third of the race i got a feeling it's not going to happen. Then i switched the channel and watched Eurobasket. At least there is still one sport left where Slovenia can beat Belgium. Anyway. After Eurobasket was over i switched back to cycling. Ultimate climb has already started. Evenepoel tucked in between three Movistar and two UAE riders. I said to myself they got Evenepoel isolated. It's about to start. It didn't. Then Almeida was pacing up the hill and there was a fan with a camera beside the road. Almeida looked in the camera and smiled. Chance of anything to happen was now officially over. Carapaz showed some fighting spirit and deserved to win the stage. At one point Evenpoel was gesticulating. On why aren't they chasing Carapaz. Mas was likely still feeling rather bad on what they did to Gesink. That is on why.

As for the parcour. Here i feel that Vuelta organizers did themself a disservice. They in my opinion shouldn't care about making it easy. Due to the worlds. They should care about Vuelta. It just looked like an amateur race with kids in it at the end.

I am happy that Carapaz got such freedom. A nice farewell from Ineos. Somehow i feel that he was not all that appreciated at Ineos. Good luck in regards to that in the next team. Evenepoel did surprise a bit on this race. He dedicated the year of training in achieving this goal. Came to the race in great (likely Tour) form. They used Alaphilippe beautifully. To amplify Evenepoel abilities. His team came prepared. One GT in the bag now. I guess he is going to the Tour next year. To train for Vuelta. Mas in the end likely happy with the result. One of the big three. Ayuso getting on the podium. We all know what that means. To the Tour next year and to win it. Then to do the same with some 17 year old kid.

Roglič. Was in it for making history. Four in a row. A bit to eager sprinter ending his campaign. Still we got some answers. It's not all that important if he comes to the GT race a bit under cooked. He could easily take the time back in mountains. That is the time advantage Evenepoel got on TT. If we take Mas as a reference point. I feel that Roglič and Evenepoel will do just fine. On future GTs going against each other and others.

All in all Evenepoel needed to win this GT. To i guess become somebody. For that i am happy for him. That he did just that. Proved the doubters wrong. Now he gets to do it all over again. Next year.

Was a nice Vuelta edition to watch but Covid and crashes were just beyond. We lost at least one of the top competitors in battle for red, green and polka dots. Among huge amount of other incidents. From this point of view i feel that Vuelta 2022 gets a big negative rating.

From sports side of it. To be honest and while Roglič and Evenepoel where at it. That was great to watch. Beyond that the intensity was rather low. But OK. Likely still more action involved than on Giro 2022.

Im Almeida and mostly Pinot Fan. Too bad hes not on his best.
And i dont hate anyone in cycling. I respect all. The first and the last one. I respect the effort of all.
Dont judge me because i have a diferent opinion.

You can have you favourite riders but some things are not a matter of opinion. Saying things like 'this Vuelta had no mountains' or 'this course was made for Evenepoel because it had a long TT' are simply false and used by you as a way to discredict his win.

hmm the idea is if Pog or van Aert win the WCs or Lombardia, it becomes tough. That’s y he may need another big win.

as for Vingo. I completely disagree. Vingo’s TDF win was fabulous. But that cannot be the only criteria for a season long award. Only Pog and WvA are competitors.
Armstrong won the Vélo d'Or in 2004 with no notable results outside of the Tour (4th in Dauphiné, 3rd in CI and 1st in Tour of Georgia << 2nd in Tirreno, 6th in Itzulia and 2nd in Dauphiné). Both Cunego and Freire had 2 big wins.

Last edited:
I don't wanna *** on the party too much, but I really do wonder what part of never dropping Mas on 20 minute + climbs and being a net loser to Mas in these same stages eventually equates to 'could hang with Pogacar and Vingegaard'
I think thats a somewhat disingenuous take. Remco was ABSOLUTELY fire in the first week, dominating the MTFs. Not necessarily by dropping Mas left and right, but making it so that he was content to just about hang on the first times MTFs, and dropping a great amount of time on Les Praeres, a type of climb where its unprecedented to make such a large gap. I think the performances on Pico Jano and Les Praeres should speak for themselves. Thats definitely A-tier performances in my book.

From then on, it was a different race and with the TT abilities, he already had a large gap. From then on it was a question of defense, and the only time he was in trouble was on La Pandera, 2 days after the crash and a climb somewhat notorious for always bringing the jersey into trouble. After 1 km of bonking, he didn't really lose time anymore, and he pretty much dominated Roglic on Sierra Nevada and didn't pay that much attention to Mas.

Week 3 was weak mountains unfortunately, and coupled with him crashing prior to the mountains in Andalucia, it gets a bit harder to judge how good he actually was in week 2 and 3.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine