• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 3: Súria - Arinsal, 158.5k

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For folks who think there should have been a much longer and clear run-out after the line, scroll down in this Marca.com article (big apologies that I haven’t learned to post photos) to the aerial view of the finish.

Looking at that, how much longer could the runout be without hitting the building or going off the cliff.? Certainly you could argue if they really cared about rider safety they wouldn’t choose a finish in such a tight space. But the organizers believe that such finishes draw more fan interest and viewers. You can certainly blame them for that if you’re inclined.

It looks like:
View: https://twitter.com/miquelbb11/status/1696201350432932146

so basically enough room and would have expected( and probably what Remco expected) that this is the runout and not the sharp right turn.

Congrats to Evenepoel. This is way the guy's a champion. Has the courage to finish of the stage despite knowing he'll get bopped onto the ground seconds later. On the flip side, I guess Vingegaard had another "flat."

I hope Guardia Civil don't follow up on the assault suspicions by the Flying Belgian (assault on the journalist, as well as the assault on the stage win).

Reactions: Unchained
I think you’re correct that the big broadcasters—RTVE, Eurosport/GCN, Sporza—with their bigger cameras stay behind the barriers, but I doubt very much the print/online news reporters—from Marca, l’Equipe, and particularly the regional papers—can be kept behind the barriers even if they’re supposed to. But I will watch the finish line scenes in the coming stages to see if that’s the case.

Mainly I was reacting to Orla’s definitive sounding statement that “those weren’t journalists.” I like Orla, but I can tired of that crews proclamations that they know exactly what the reality is when they of course don’t. Not unless they went down and asked those people.
the past couple of days journalists were only allowed to access the "mixed zone", but as that resulted in no opportunities to interview the riders, they changed thefinish line access rules (for) today. Maybe she wasn't aware of that yet.

Congratulations to Remco Evenepoel for winning the sprint.

Good stage to watch. UAE motivated to get some results with all the talent involved and JV likely trying to put Kuss in a position to win the stage. Remco wanting to prove he can sprint, Jonas trying to follow. Rogla likely not bothered with all this for now, as he can't win this race by bonus seconds anymore. Hence just following the best and not doing much more for now. Thomas first of the big ones to lose a lot of time. Crash from yesterday likely playing a role.

People used to say that about Peter Sagan too. It ground my gears and made it harder for me to put my dislike of him aside, and made it harder for me to ignore the things I didn't like.

And the love of Sagan was far more universal than the love of Remco at a comparable point in their career. Please note I'm not comparing their personalities, I think Remco comes across a lot better than Sagan (although, of course, I would say that), but just meaning that the reaction of the supporters plays into people's perception of the athlete a lot too, you know, and the fact that Remco has that tranche of supporters who will attack any comment that isn't sycophantic in nature as being the work of perceived jealous haters will help create real ones.
I can't like this post enough.

I like Remco. He's a good kid, he is a pretty ferocious cyclist and I can't wait to see him win more.
But the way a certain parts of his fanbase react to any criticism really detracts from that. If I'm honest, sometimes that makes me wish he actually doesn't win a race. I don't want to be like that. So please stop making me be like that, you Remco lovers.

And yet Piccolo got a red jersey rather than a fine for sheltering behind a team car the day before...
I wonder about this too.
I don't have a problem with it, because its one of those cool quirks of cycling as a sport.
The poor guy that lost the U23 worlds a couple years back notwithstanding.

I actually looked back at the footage and Piccolo was back on his bike surprisingly fast considering the chain remount failure and then
a bike change. He lost 15 seconds or so, 20 max.
Then he was back with the leaders super fast - yes he was probably behind a car a lot, but they must have slowed down too.
He was with them within 2 or 3k, they were probably waiting for him (and maybe informed that the peloton was slowing).
This was where all the Jumbo guys came to the front with their hands down

But yeah, he sheltered behind a car and TOOK THE RACE LEADER JERSEY, yet no debate about this.

Again, i have no problem with it and think its fine, but where are the by the book blowhards on this one?

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Sporza wrote a whole article about what went wrong at the finish line. Apparently it was two-fold.

1. Normally only caretakers and specific members of the media can be so close after the finish line. At 16:00 the organisation decided that everyone could be there, which made it much more crowded and more difficult for people to see the riders coming.
2. Normally those people are 200m from the finish line, which gives you more time to react. Now they were at 70m.