• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 4: Andorra la Vella - Tarragona (184.6k)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van den Berg headbutting like crazy and then taking a 180 degree corner by apexing about 30 degrees in. That's just not how you corner.

I guess we blame the organisers too for the crash at 4km to go?
The problem is that at the moment tensions are running high.

The organisers are not to blame for riders riding like idiots and should not be held responsible for accidents caused by the riders not respecting the course or their fellow competitors.

However, the riders should also not be blamed for organisers' poor choices when designing courses.

But it's a two way thing. Riders need to recce these finishes and ride with respect to their fellow competitors, and organisers need to recognise that developments in the current péloton mean that the péloton that appears at the finish of a stage like this is larger, and travelling faster, than it was a number of years ago, and they need to plan their finishes to accommodate that fact accordingly.

JURY COMMUNIQUE Nº5.
Art. 2.6.027 Riders who are victims of an incident in the last 3 kms are credited with the time of the group they were in at the time of the incident, 4h05’41”85 GHYS, Robbe / 107 VAN DEN BERG, Marijn

Art. 2.12.007; 6.3 Failure to comply with the instructions of the commissaires, failure to respect a "Barrage". D.S. STEPHENS, Neil UCI ID 10001024241
BAHARAIN VICTORIOUS D.S. GUERRICA GOIKA, Gorka UCI ID 10001414665
COFIDI SFine 500,00 CHF
Art. 2.12.007; 6.3 Breach of guidelines concerning vehicle movements during the race, team van in the race convoy. .D.S. MORI, Manuele UCI ID 10002817933 UEA TEAM EMIRATES Fine 500,00 CHF

STAGE 5ª: MORELLA – BURRIANA: Feeding will be allowed from km 20 to 20 km from the finish line.

Medical release.
23 Kelderman. Contusion in the upper extremities, after examination and radiological study, immobilizing treatment is performed. He is transferred to the hospital in ambulance for study and treatment.
132 JOHANSEN Julius. Multiple contusions, especially in the knee, received at the hospital for treatment, cleaning and suturing. Transferred to hospital.
155 COQUARD Bryan. Torso lumbar contusion-radiological review of scapula and sent to hospital for further study
143-Ruben Guerreiro Shoulder contusion, exploration and radiological study.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
G's take on the end of stage 4 - idiots!
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...rred-finale-to-stage-4-at-the-vuelta-a-espana
“After the top of the last climb we came to the line on fine and wide roads, but the riders rode like absolute idiots. Some teams just forget that they also have brakes."
Although he doesn't go so far as to name any individual rider, Thomas alludes to an unnamed Movistar Team rider. "Kaden Groves made a move toward that guy from Movistar. Yes, it was not the smartest move, but something like that happens in the last ten kilometres. However, the Movistar rider then simply decided to grab Groves by the collar and push him," he recalls. "I was really right behind it, saw it happen and thought to myself: that guy is crazy. He must have a little too much caffeine in his blood. I decided to position myself somewhere else, because that could only end with a crash."