• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana: Sept 18: Stage 19 Ã￾vila - La Granja 179.8 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
always liked cobo, glad to see him get the win

i wonder if this will help fuji get a new sponsor next year. if not i wonder where cobo and DDLF will end up

I was thinking the same. I'm not sure they will get another sponsor all things considered. A lot of riders seem to be on their way out too. I expect both of them to find a PT team no problem.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Bit of deja vu for Cadel on the last climb and getting a flat... a least the time bonus this time was a positive one. Race tomorrow between Cadel and Sanchez for second, don't think Basso will hold off Cadel with just 14 seconds. Valverde should have it in the bag.

They went up the hill, to come back down.
Unlucky for Bobby G, but that's the nature of GT's; sometimes they suck
and this one does.

So, the UCI have "Hot Potato" Piti to be crowned King of Spain, World (minus Italy) ambassador for the sport.
Knowing Pat's gift of the gaff, he'll make an announcement upholding and extending the unilateral ban, round about Sunday.:rolleyes:

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I was thinking the same. I'm not sure they will get another sponsor all things considered. A lot of riders seem to be on their way out too. I expect both of them to find a PT team no problem.
Cobo doesn't have a good reputation. I remember QS doc Van Mol (yes, the same doc Sinkewitz has accused of facilitating doping when he was on the team) basically called him a doper after he won two stages and the overall in Pais Vasco in 2007 (I'd love to provide a link, but the one I've saved no longer points to a valid page).
He almost certainly dodged a bullet in last years TdF.

He'll probably join Radio Shack.

Gesink is utterly dissapointed. After the finish: "It's hard enough to ride a grand tour of 3 weeks, let stand without a fall. I have suffered enough this year."

And breukink said Gesink was now crying in the Rabobus of dissapointment, he has no motivation left whatsoever. Think this could be the end of the season now.

A

Anonymous

Didnt watch todays stage, the first ever grand tour i have simply lost interest in half way through...

shame for gesink though, gutsy rider, good attitude, was desperately hoping he could bring the veulta some credibility.. thats it for me...

Such a shame about Gesink. He and Mosquera were the only ones in the top10 to do decent attacks, and lots of them. Without them, the Vuelta would've been almost as boring as the Tour.

No value now in finishing the Vuelta on 6th. A year lost, sadly. Just go home to Varsseveld, relax and sit by the fire, and let someone else take your place in the Worlds. Only to come back stronger next year.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Didnt watch todays stage, the first ever grand tour i have simply lost interest in half way through...

shame for gesink though, gutsy rider, good attitude, was desperately hoping he could bring the veulta some credibility.. thats it for me...

It's been a lot better than the Vuelta two years ago.

Now Gesink has recovered and said he will finish the Vuelta and also go the worlds.

Amazing determination. Uncanny. That will be his greatest weapon against Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador, sheer determination combined with already great physical qualities (7,1w/kg anyone?)

BroDeal said:
Word. That one that Menchov won was a joke. This year had a good course, but the racing did not meet expectations.

The 2007 Vuelta didn't have a very bad course,but the only thing that killed it was that stupid 50k+ TT held on a highway.:confused:
That was the worst possible location.

I'm glad Gesink will finish the race,and hopefully he'll be able to defend 6th.
Tiralongo and Rodriguez are one level above RG in terms of time trial,but considering the injury,they could make up some time.
Meanwhile,i think Basso will drop to fourth,those 14 secs he has on Cadel are nothing.
Sammy for the stage win,stealing the glory away from David Millar,who remained in the race especially for this TT.:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
laurentiu46 said:
The 2007 Vuelta didn't have a very bad course,but the only thing that killed it was that stupid 50k+ TT held on a highway.:confused:
That was the worst possible location.

That had to be the most boring stage from any race I have ever watched.

David Harmon said this about that stage: "I lost the will to live commentating on that stage"

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Felon Valverde sews up the Vuelta

Well, guess it's a done deal which is sad because in a few months the CAS will probably uphold CONI's doping ban and then the UCI will strip him of the jersey just like Heras was. A true embarassment. But it opens the way for Contador to sign with Caisse because Valverde will be out 2 years.
Twisted Spoke: http://walshworld.wordpress.com/