• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana Stage 1: Benidorm TTT 13.5km

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Maxiton said:
I call BS. It's because Wiggins would rather express his petulance than ride smart. Cancellara doesn't have that problem.

Think that is slightly harsh, based on one mess up. Wiggins has done well in team time trials before and am fairly sure i have heard riders talk about having issues with Cancellara killing them in the team time trial before.

not certain about what happened this time but get the feeling someone crashed then in catching up Wiggins hurt them too much. Communication problem sounds like Team Sky Media speak for wiggo got it wrong but everyone makes mistakes.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Dave,

Wiggins does have a history of not being a team player, Sean Yates has called him out on in the media on more than one occasion.

Not saying he did it here just saying.

daveinzambia said:
Think that is slightly harsh, based on one mess up. Wiggins has done well in team time trials before and am fairly sure i have heard riders talk about having issues with Cancellara killing them in the team time trial before.
Cancellara always kills his teammates but he always comes to the finish line with at least 4 of them, including his leaders. Looks to me that's the perfect approach. Ideally, all riders should come to the finish line feeling they wouldn't have been able to follow Cancellara for another 500 meters.

hrotha said:
I don't remember that, although I must have watched it. Yay senility.

It might be that like me you were watching Voeckler take an exciting finish, and Tommy D G get back his yellow jersey, in Paris Nice instead.

Though you will no doubt proceed to inform me you dont remember that either.

Voeckler of course beat FDJ's Rémi Pauriol to the line.

No harm done. Teammate Pierrick Fedrigo would later get revenge.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckler-loses-out-to-trotting-horse

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
Dave,

Wiggins does have a history of not being a team player, Sean Yates has called him out on in the media on more than one occasion.

Not saying he did it here just saying.

yeah fair enough, I remember Yates complaining at Tour of california. I also remember seeing an interesting Geraint Thomas video 'on the tour bus' for one race. chatting to the other guys on the bus, asking about who was going to win that day. Gets to front of bus where wiggins is watching video, looks flustered, says oh do not want to disturb his film and rapidly turns to other teammates.

and of course Millar has never forgiven him for not giving the team credit in 2009

Have heard people say he likes to keep himself to himself on the bus but then came out and said the team spirit on the bus was not right at the 2010 tour

So will agree he can be selfish but think in the past he has done a good job of not killing his team in a TTT. (but that may be because he has had a strong TTT team behind him in other tours). My comment on Fabian were based on stuff i had heard before where his team did not always do as well in TTT because fabian tended to hurt his team mates too much. but that could be because he he was dragging a couple of team mates most of the way.

The Hitch said:
It might be that like me you were watching Voeckler take an exciting finish, and Tommy D G get back his yellow jersey, in Paris Nice instead.

Though you will no doubt proceed to inform me you dont remember that either.

Voeckler of course beat FDJ's Rémi Pauriol to the line.

No harm done. Teammate Pierrick Fedrigo would later get revenge.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckler-loses-out-to-trotting-horse
Dunno, I vaguely remember both races not overlapping so I could watch both, and I definitely remember following Tirreno with more interest (although to be fair Paris-Nice didn't suck until the next stage). Then again, I find TTTs boring so maybe I just had it on without really paying attention.