• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana Stage 3: Zutphen - Venlo 189,7 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
Visit site
it's sad to say, but holland isn't suitable for big races (anymore).

too many obstacles, turns and narrow roads.


in the gold race it might be part of the charm, but this is just dangerous.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
The sprinting speed says it all. 62km/h. That's slow. Not mind-numbingly slow like last year's stage that Breschel won at 45km/h when every sprinter had retired. But still slow.

Doug Laipple said:
what the hell is a "chicane"?

Combination of 2 or more turns, all of them to opposite sides (right, left, right for example) that occur consecutively without even an inch of straightaway between any of them.
 
May 7, 2009
88
0
0
Visit site
Yeah, I should have researched more but...

Hi Susan,

I'm a long time cyclingnews reader. I write that Cavdenish train piece for humor but you're right as far as the two riders. The irony was I was reading your live coverage when I then checked my blog, which led me to the forum and your momment. :)

I look forward to the rest of your Vuelta coverage. Matt at Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/



Susan Westemeyer said:
That is a funny article, but the author should have done a bit more research. There are only two Columbia riders at the Vuelta who were also at the Tour, Bert Grabsch and Kim Kirchen.

Susan
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
Visit site
Walshworld said:
Hi Susan,

I'm a long time cyclingnews reader. I write that Cavdenish train piece for humor but you're right as far as the two riders. The irony was I was reading your live coverage when I then checked my blog, which led me to the forum and your momment. :)

I look forward to the rest of your Vuelta coverage. Matt at Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

lol, i reply under the name henkio on twisted spoke and linked to your article here

i'm singing 'it's a small world after all' right now :D
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
Huge lol at the Vacansoleil lead out man putting his arms up in the air when he thought Borut Božič would get the win and Greg Henderson came out and got the stage. What a n00b.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
Visit site
Ha!

Mijnheer de Uil... he must have lulled you to sleep before the stage even started then... Naar bed naar bed, lieve kijkbuiskindertjes.


Lars Boom tomorrow for the golden jersey? Or Freire for a victory?

Hope the stage tomorrow is a little more animated.
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,086
1
0
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Ha!

Mijnheer de Uil... he must have lulled you to sleep before the stage even started then... Naar bed naar bed, lieve kijkbuiskindertjes.


Lars Boom tomorrow for the golden jersey? Or Freire for a victory?

Hope the stage tomorrow is a little more animated.

Whew.... yeah I just watched the replay and it was pretty slow. I must say though, that it is nice to not know who is going to win with 500m to go!

Tomorrow? Hmm.... how 'bout Andy Schleck for a repeat?
 
issoisso said:
The sprinting speed says it all. 62km/h. That's slow. Not mind-numbingly slow like last year's stage that Breschel won at 45km/h when every sprinter had retired. But still slow.


Not quite as slow as the speed that showed on TV according to an interview with Greg Henderson on roadcycling.co.nz...

"I really only followed my guy Marcel Sieberg. I had to leave him to bridge to the two Vacansoleil guys. Then I just waited and waited. Then boom. Full gas. 1400w. 69.8kph."