• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana - who's going to win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Vuelta Winner...

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Yeah....we're gonna need you to not be team leader. And if you could just go ahead and....work for Valverde.....that'd be greeeeeeat...."

A cookie for anyone who gets the pop culture reference.

EDIT: The above is (obviously paraphrased) from an interview with J.Rodríguez earlier today.

The movie Office Space?

issoisso said:
A cookie for anyone who gets the pop culture reference..
Office Space? [edit - Turd beat me to it!]

I'd rather win the Vuelta than those, no doubt. My preference would be:

Tour
Giro
Vuelta
Olympic RR
Worlds
P-R
Tour KOM or Maillot Vert
Tour stage
Giro stage
Giro jersey
National championship
Ronde
Olympic TT gold

This might make a good poll for another thread...

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Turd Ferguson said:
well, this should add a little more excitement. Anyone in the US know if there will be television coverage, at least on the weekends? I know I can get it on the internet, but that is always hit or miss and usually a waste of money for me.

hey...........if you have a satellite package you can view it daily on TVE , if you get the euro or latin package , its great they have super interviews daily , and Pedro Delgado is one of the main commentators

on the net try universal sports , both live and on demand videos of practically the entire stage........its free of charge so no money wasted here....

also if you have a newer laptop or home comp. with on HD out ,and a newer TV you can connect the two and watch it on a larger screen even without enlarging the comp format............its clearer and you can incorporate your home sound system

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the spanish will be able to gang up on hte other riders because you have Evans Schleck, Basso etc who will be also up there. If evans and schleck really go for the overall it will be between those two for the top step on the podium. Just my opinion...

P.s. Can someone tell me who made this thread sticky? Thanks a lot to them!:eek:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I want Valverde to win. I personally don't think the guy has done more drugs than any other top cyclist, same goes for Vino but I don't think he will win.

BTW, I don't like the course...overall it seems kind of flat...mountain stages are not very hard...but I hope to see some good racing. Even better, the two Astana clowns won't be there to ruin the race. :cool:

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Given the course and the absence of AC, maybe it'll make the race more exciting than the usual TdF... more guys in with a realistic chance. Looking forward to it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Office Space? [edit - Turd beat me to it!]

I'd rather win the Vuelta than those, no doubt. My preference would be:

Tour
Giro
Vuelta
Olympic RR
Worlds
P-R
Tour KOM or Maillot Vert
Tour stage
Giro stage
Giro jersey
National championship
Ronde
Olympic TT gold

This might make a good poll for another thread...

Tour
Giro
Vuelta
Worlds
P-R
L-B-L
National
Ronde
Olympic RR

----

anywhu, I don't see evans winning, he is just not a good enough climber even if he does come to spain in better form then the tour.

Basso, could podium, i'd like to see that happen. But I don't think he is good enough to win, he lacks acceleration to drop some of the climbers here, and his TT wont cut it. consistancy should be on his side. I expect an even better showing then the giro from him.

Valverde and S sanchez are favorites for me, both could do well, but wouldn't be too much of a shocker f they had a bad day or two.

Danielson - no way, will strugle to get top 10 imo. Martin should do well, might push top ten.

Horner - read a comment that him contesting reminds me of hincape hype 06... +100
tho i do feel like he could top ten. not 5.

Mosquera and Rodriguez - outside contenders, both will be up there, and I think should contest top 5, if not podium.

Gesink - should be able to climb with the best (if he has the form) Might podium, probably not good enought to win a GT yet, but it's coming. will be exciting to follow, and my personal favorite.

Vino - who knows, doubt he will contest the win or podium tho. I predicts a couple stage wins and maybe somewhere between 5-10th.

Fugslang - little over hyped in my opinion. wont top 5, might top 10, I have my doubts tho.

Zubeldia - could ride well, has experience. Possibly podium i think

Schlecks / Kruziger - I don't think will be interested in GC. Maybe Frank, I think he might be able to recover a little better then andy (from the tour) but he has a rough season.

Cunego - Worlds prep. wouldnt win even if he did make it a goal :p

+1 with Timmy

and I think Basso will have the legs to give it a good go :)

I don't think Valverde can hold it together for three weeks

Vino will implode IMHO

Was Nibali due to ride? Shame anyway about his injury because he is going to be a GC contender going forward

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
I reckon Sammy Sanchez is flying under the radar and it'll suit him- he seems to have prepped himself for a go at both the vuelta and the worlds- he's my tip to win

The Schlecks if they are fair dinkum could create havoc but i dunno if they're just gunna go out for a cpl of mountain top victories

Also Davis for the green :) go aussie!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Valverde, but Evans could be a dark horse.

i get the impression that Cadel will take it as it goes to actually go for the gc in the vuelta or just save energy for the worlds. From his website i'll quote a few comments.

"Let's see how the first half of the Vuelta goes, then I'll decide...."

"I'll take the Vuelta as it comes, with the idea of being at my best for the World Championships in Mendrisio."

I think his main priority is the worlds but would like to do well at Vuelta if the opportunity opens itself

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd like Cadel to do well in the Worlds but I don't understand why as a stage racer he'd save himself for the Worlds... you'd have thought that just as Menchov won the Giro, Evans could do very well at the Vuelta.

I guess his comments about waiting to see how he goes at the Vuelta actually do make sense, but still, given his palmares it'd be good to hear him more selfconfident. Man needs a psych to get his mind in shape and turn him into the kind of selfobsessed a-hole that wins road races against the other gorilla egos. Of course I'm quite confident in saying this from my comfortable chair at my keyboard ;-)

According to our brave leaders, Basso rates his chances. Thinks he has better form than at the Giro.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-rates-himself-a-vuelta-contender
He certainly looked sharp in Saturday's Trofeo Melinda's uphill finish.
Blew the elite group to pieces, before being out sprinted by Visconti and Garzelli.

I hope he spices up this usually all Spanish affair. Great to think we also have the Schlecks and Horner, although he will become the Kazakh's favourite waterboy.

In that respect: Go Cadel!

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
hate him or love him i will go with the underdog Vino despite his problems. We may be in for a rude awakening. Vino's successful comeback. The man is out to prove a point. We need exciting and entertaining racing which Vino will deliver. If Vino fails it's Basso's tour. Andy can take it if he takes his mind off the worlds as i dont think he has a chance there.

I question Evans or Horner's ability to podium or win. Mostly because they based their season on peaking in July. This fits the classic situation of someone missing out at the Tour, then thinking they'll salvage their season at the Vuelta - while having to compete against riders who have based their season on planning for, and peaking at the Vuelta.

Don't know that the course suits Cadel anyway. Chris perhaps, but I don't see him being a top GC contender in a GT.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
i don't think valverde is going to make it. if basso made that last step back in the giro he'll be the man to beat.
i personally hope sammie sanchez makes it.

my guess right now:
1. basso
2. samsan
3. gesink
4. fuglsang
5. valverde

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
i cant believe no ones rating mosquera, and some one said the course is easy? woah sierra nevada, la pandera, theres some damn hard mountain stages, and heaps of medium mountain stages that could erupt if the riders make it happen. my guess

1. sanchez
2. a schleck
3. mosquera
4. basso
5. zubeldia