• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a San Juan 2023 (January 22-29)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why are you guys even watching this race apart from the last 10 km of the mountain stage. This is god awful, and its pretty pointless to complain about the race not being that interesting after looking at the route.. every body and their goddamn mom and their dumbass neighbors would know that you cannot expect anything on a route like this
Why be so negative - its only January and you get to see a 2,600 meter mountain ridden even if its only 4%? It ain't all bad. I am interested to see how Bernal is going.

Why be so negative - its only January and you get to see a 2,600 meter mountain ridden even if its only 4%? It ain't all bad. I am interested to see how Bernal is going.

Because in the past this climb doesn't do much to seperate riders from one and another. For professionals it's very difficult to drop climbers on a 4.2% average gradient even if the altitude goes up 2600 meters.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Because in the past this climb doesn't do much to seperate riders from one and another. For professionals it's very difficult to drop climbers on a 4.2% average gradient even if the altitude goes up 2600 meters.
If this was March I'd agree. But its only January. Like I said I am interested to see what level Bernal is at. That's enough for me even if the route overall looks horrible on paper.

• Wow
The shallow climb might mean that Superman Lopez will win, he has something to prove.

vuelta-ciclista-a-la-provincia-de-san-juan-2023-stage-5-profile-6e92b11931.jpg

Not-so-marginal gain having Ganna in front of Bernal. I always found it odd that Porte was in front of Froome all the time instead of Poels who as thin as he is was surely better draft fodder.

I don't think given those ramps Evenepoel can get away from the elite climbers. A better bet for me is someone like Fabio Duarte (or maybe Dani Martinez or Jan Hirt) that can win a la Anacona in 2019.

Because we used to have the Tour de San Luís in this slot. It wasn't an amazing race but it was just far superior to this, with better climbs and more variety. And even this race used to have the Punta Negra stage to at least have some time gaps rather than just being a bonus second fiesta until we get to this 4% up a highway. Or at least some hilariously blatant doper like Gonzalo Najár to enliven things.

Because we used to have the Tour de San Luís in this slot. It wasn't an amazing race but it was just far superior to this, with better climbs and more variety. And even this race used to have the Punta Negra stage to at least have some time gaps rather than just being a bonus second fiesta until we get to this 4% up a highway. Or at least some hilariously blatant doper like Gonzalo Najár to enliven things.
Najar's performance was legendary though

TRENDING THREADS