• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Leading Contenders

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Horrible TTT for Basso. I was really thinking that he had a good shot at the podium (reasonable form, only GT for the season, other rivals with far more heavy racing in their legs, etc). Perhaps he still might, but this result suggests that he has a rather weak team. Tonight's MTF is already key. I expect Nibali to get stronger as the race goes on, so if he doesn't show any weakness to the likes of Rodriguez and Valverde here than it's difficult to see how he can be beaten. But we don't really know his true climbing form at present so will just have to wait and see.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Horrible TTT for Basso. I was really thinking that he had a good shot at the podium (reasonable form, only GT for the season, other rivals with far more heavy racing in their legs, etc). Perhaps he still might, but this result suggests that he has a rather weak team. Tonight's MTF is already key. I expect Nibali to get stronger as the race goes on, so if he doesn't show any weakness to the likes of Rodriguez and Valverde here than it's difficult to see how he can be beaten. But we don't really know his true climbing form at present so will just have to wait and see.

I think he can still do decent race. His team was never going to pull off a stellar performance in the TTT anyways; and with so many climber stages the GC race will come down to the mountains. And he did look good at Burgos. His race is far from over IMO.

Escarabajo said:
My guess is that by the time Henao fails Uran would be already far back. Henao has to crash early. You would be playing the odds very hard. Historically Uran when he plays domestic he usually falls back once he is done. The only exception was in the last Giro, but if you pay very close attention to that Giro Wiggins was already failing very early. On that first mountain stage they sent him as a bait but it worked out for the best. I also believe that deep in his mind he had one foot already outside the team and there was already a possibility of Wiggins failing by the time they hit the first mountain.

Besides all that, as I already have stated, he already has a contract with a new team, he does not want to burn any bridges with Sky, or his good friend Henao, and he has a good chance of winning the World Championship by riding for Henao only in the Vuelta.

Way too many factors against a top 10 IMHO.
I have to accept my mistakes. I fail completely on my prediction.

I am a little shock at what is going on with Henao.

jens_attacks said:
imagine how strong will basso be on angliru:eek::cool:
It's going to be one big smile the whole way up :D

1.jpg

SafeBet said:
I concur. Best shape in at least two years.

Very sad to see Henao like that though. He hasn't been the same since the Giro :(

He was quite good in Poland. The best from the group of main favourites on Passo Pordoi for instance. It's not like he's a rider who needs time to find his form. He's very consistent so this was a big surprise.