• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Mountain Classification

Hi, first post so sorry if this is a numpty question.

Can someone explain the difference between the hill categories used in the Vuelta de Espana and the Tour de France?

It is my understanding that the Vuelta has Categories 3-1 with extra points for a high climb finish and even more points for reaching the Top Alberto Fernandez, the highest point of the Vuelta.

How do the different categories compare (i.e. how does Vuelta Category 1 compare with Tour De France Cat1? )

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
marqueemark said:
Hi, first post so sorry if this is a numpty question.

Can someone explain the difference between the hill categories used in the Vuelta de Espana and the Tour de France?

It is my understanding that the Vuelta has Categories 3-1 with extra points for a high climb finish and even more points for reaching the Top Alberto Fernandez, the highest point of the Vuelta.

How do the different categories compare (i.e. how does Vuelta Category 1 compare with Tour De France Cat1? )

Every race chose the categories randomly....

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
rantanplan said:
Bales = Peña Cabarga or Formigal????

There will be more riders contesting and producing more watts at Peña Cabarga and Formigal than at Bales regardless of whatever category they are given :p

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
There aren´t extra points in the final summits:

CIMA ALBERTO FERNÁNDEZ CAT. SPÉCIALE
1º 20 points
2º 15 points
3º 10 points
4º 6 points
5º 4 points
6º 2 points

CAT. SPÉCIALE
1º 15 points
2º 10 points
3º 6 points
4º 4 points
5º 2 points

1ª CATÉGORIE
1º 10 points
2º 6 points
3º 4 points
4º 2 points
5º 1 point

2ª CATÉGORIE
1º 5 points
2º 3 points
3º 1 point

3ª CATÉGORIE
1º 3 points
2º 2 points
3º 1 point

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
rantanplan said:
Every race chose the categories randomly....

Welcome to the vagaries of race organizers.

It took me a while to get used to understanding that consistency of categorization is limited to the whims of race organizers.

There are climbs even within a stage race where the organizers don't think of giving some category, simply because they don't want to give mountain points.

There are some climbs that don't get any category because it comes just before another officially categorized climb or immediately after it.

currently, i try to look at the climb kms from other sources, look at the gradient; and try to assign my own mean of categorization. Like for example, yesterday''s short nasty climb is a "false" cat1 in my books. the effect of that climb was to distance a major chunk of riders. the quality of bunch reaching the finish is appears like having a proper cat 1 climb 35 kms from the finish.

I only have watched one complete vuelta, and from what i have seen, this race typically has harder climbs than tour.

murali said:
Welcome to the vagaries of race organizers.

It took me a while to get used to understanding that consistency of categorization is limited to the whims of race organizers.

There are climbs even within a stage race where the organizers don't think of giving some category, simply because they don't want to give mountain points.

There are some climbs that don't get any category because it comes just before another officially categorized climb or immediately after it.

currently, i try to look at the climb kms from other sources, look at the gradient; and try to assign my own mean of categorization. Like for example, yesterday''s short nasty climb is a "false" cat1 in my books. the effect of that climb was to distance a major chunk of riders. the quality of bunch reaching the finish is appears like having a proper cat 1 climb 35 kms from the finish.

I only have watched one complete vuelta, and from what i have seen, this race typically has harder climbs than tour.
What does "harder" means? and for whom? Categories DO not measure hardness but represent a multitudes of variables consistant within "each" races. Attempting to compare is pointless. Unless you love empty conversations

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i don't know the right word in english for "harder".

For a simple fan who doesn't know too many details, or who sees racing only in tv, having a simple definition for climb categories is highly desired.

AS far as the OP is concerned, i was merely pointing out that Tour and Vuelta categories of climbing cannot be compared. it is better to watch and assign on interpretations of climbs than to go by the number given in the profile map.

I mean, what is the equivalent of Angliru in TdF? what is the equivalent of Muur ? For a person who is accustomed to TdF alone, these climbs don't make sense at all.

murali said:
i don't know the right word in english for "harder".

For a simple fan who doesn't know too many details, or who sees racing only in tv, having a simple definition for climb categories is highly desired.

AS far as the OP is concerned, i was merely pointing out that Tour and Vuelta categories of climbing cannot be compared. it is better to watch and assign on interpretations of climbs than to go by the number given in the profile map.

I mean, what is the equivalent of Angliru in TdF? what is the equivalent of Muur ? For a person who is accustomed to TdF alone, these climbs don't make sense at all.
Best to appreciate each climb or descent for what they are. In many ways each are very unique. Let the rating dictate the points. If you follow cycling through TV only, it is very hard to really know what a climb is like. In the end, in racing, how hard the climb is often depends on how they attack it. you can climb the Tourmalet even pace and have all the sprinters still in the group and drop them later on a climb half that length and percentage.