• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Merlier Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There aren't 2 guys faster than him in a road sprint.

In a way it's sad that he got discovered this late, and also doesn't get a lot of GT chances. But I think there are still some years to come in his career, and I believe he will still add some important victories to his tally. A classic like Gent-Wevelgem should be possible too on a very good day.
I agree that he seems the fastest sprinter after phillipsen at the moment. Very impressive. However I also have the feeling he is too bad with the hills to win one of the classics..

A compliment Merlier certainly deserves:

Aesthetically, Tim is one of the finest sprinters to watch. You can see his leg speed in perfect balance with raw power, because he rarely swerves or moves his body too much. It's a bit comparable to Italian greats Cipollini and Petacchi, although Merlier's kick displays a bit more force. He's like a slingshot or a catapult. Nokere today was a fine example.

A compliment Merlier certainly deserves:

Aesthetically, Tim is one of the finest sprinters to watch. You can see his leg speed in perfect balance with raw power, because he rarely swerves or moves his body too much. It's a bit comparable to Italian greats Cipollini and Petacchi, although Merlier's kick displays a bit more force. He's like a slingshot or a catapult. Nokere today was a fine example.
Yes , this is why merlier is probably my favourite sprinter at the moment. The sprint he did on nokere korse yesterday, was the kind of sprint that I would see as a kid from pettachi, Sagan, Cavendish and make me think that racing was the coolest thing in the world.

Reactions: SHAD0W93