• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta speculation

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems there are plenty of visual glitches(?) in the profiles, which were mentioned in this thread. I would also question some of the hosting names like stage 10 Caravaca Año Jubilar 2017 - ElPozo Alimentación. I have no clue, what both these names mean. The start is in Caravaca de la Cruz, while the finish is in Alhama de Murcia, probably in front of a supermarket called ElPozo Alimentación... what?!? Near it is sort of a monument in shape of a globe of leaves.

There are other questionable name choices like adding Ciudad Patrimonio de la Humanidad to Cuenca. I could understand it if the finish was near or straight on an important place or monument like on the castle, La Ciudad Encantada or near one of the countless sanctuaries. Orihuela. Ciudad del Poeta Miguel Hernández - Cumbre del Sol. El Poble Nou de Benitatxell is just tedious, while Gruissan. Grand Narbonne. Aude, Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. Monachil and Xorret de Catí. Costa Blanca Interior are just stupid.

I know Vuelta likes to add some random stuff after a period, and i prefer this design over adding it in brackets or after a dash, but this year they're really outdoing it.

I remember in 2011 i was thinking about Cobo getting into top 10, while Menchov and Sastre would fail. I also remember predicting Horner getting top 10 after a great post-2010 showings in the American races. I loved his climbing style of not needing the saddle, especially on a wall (San Jose or sth similar) in California 2010 or 2011. I also managed to predict Hesjedal's top 10 in Giro '12. Now, to stop this humble brag i would never predict them winning the things.

Considering the uneven year + Angliru i predict Atapuma (still not sure about Polanc) getting top 10. Wilco Keldreman is probably too obvious as a pick. Maybe Ion Izagirre for top 10. One of my favourites since the daring attack on Lamura in TdF 2010, Rafael Valls for top 10. I'm not going with Marczyński, as he got a top 10 in 2012. Ok, i think i know who will win the whole thing... it'll be Damiano Caruso! Because in my eyes he has the perfect profile for an odd Vuelta winner - some GC results in lesser races + i think he had a random top 10 GC once + fine climbing and punchy abilities.

If it will be a normal race, then i guess Dumoulin will win it ahead of Nibali and Majka, because Majka is the new GC Purito/Bala. Nibali will try some things, but the route this year doesn't seem to have many options for more sophisticated tactics. I guess only stages 10, 12 and 19 offer some honey, but 12 is quite early in the race, while 19 is just before Angrilu. I guess stage 3 and 10 could be the most important stages for Nibali (stage 10 has a flat finish, but also is just after the rest day). Geez, the whole route is just badly designed. An abundance of random MTF-s in random places. It just screams lack of direction.

Looking at the map i what i'm working with i would personally switch stage 8 with 9. Maybe try to do the 2nd week in the opposite direction (i forgot the proper wording here, sorry). I guess Angrilu is fine as a finale (publicity), but i would prefer to switch it with the Gijon stage (i prefer an Oviedo finish to Gijon). The last transfer to Madrid also would be easier then.

Ok, i guess that's me done, cheers.

railxmig said:
It seems there are plenty of visual glitches(?) in the profiles, which were mentioned in this thread. I would also question some of the hosting names like stage 10 Caravaca Año Jubilar 2017 - ElPozo Alimentación. I have no clue, what both these names mean. The start is in Caravaca de la Cruz, while the finish is in Alhama de Murcia, probably in front of a supermarket called ElPozo Alimentación... what?!? Near it is sort of a monument in shape of a globe of leaves.

There are other questionable name choices like adding Ciudad Patrimonio de la Humanidad to Cuenca. I could understand it if the finish was near or straight on an important place or monument like on the castle, La Ciudad Encantada or near one of the countless sanctuaries. Orihuela. Ciudad del Poeta Miguel Hernández - Cumbre del Sol. El Poble Nou de Benitatxell is just tedious, while Gruissan. Grand Narbonne. Aude, Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. Monachil and Xorret de Catí. Costa Blanca Interior are just stupid.

I know Vuelta likes to add some random stuff after a period, and i prefer this design over adding it in brackets or after a dash, but this year they're really outdoing it.

I remember in 2011 i was thinking about Cobo getting into top 10, while Menchov and Sastre would fail. I also remember predicting Horner getting top 10 after a great post-2010 showings in the American races. I loved his climbing style of not needing the saddle, especially on a wall (San Jose or sth similar) in California 2010 or 2011. I also managed to predict Hesjedal's top 10 in Giro '12. Now, to stop this humble brag i would never predict them winning the things.

Considering the uneven year + Angliru i predict Atapuma (still not sure about Polanc) getting top 10. Wilco Keldreman is probably too obvious as a pick. Maybe Ion Izagirre for top 10. One of my favourites since the daring attack on Lamura in TdF 2010, Rafael Valls for top 10. I'm not going with Marczyński, as he got a top 10 in 2012. Ok, i think i know who will win the whole thing... it'll be Damiano Caruso! Because in my eyes he has the perfect profile for an odd Vuelta winner - some GC results in lesser races + i think he had a random top 10 GC once + fine climbing and punchy abilities.

If it will be a normal race, then i guess Dumoulin will win it ahead of Nibali and Majka, because Majka is the new GC Purito/Bala. Nibali will try some things, but the route this year doesn't seem to have many options for more sophisticated tactics. I guess only stages 10, 12 and 19 offer some honey, but 12 is quite early in the race, while 19 is just before Angrilu. I guess stage 3 and 10 could be the most important stages for Nibali (stage 10 has a flat finish, but also is just after the rest day). Geez, the whole route is just badly designed. An abundance of random MTF-s in random places. It just screams lack of direction.

Looking at the map i what i'm working with i would personally switch stage 8 with 9. Maybe try to do the 2nd week in the opposite direction (i forgot the proper wording here, sorry). I guess Angrilu is fine as a finale (publicity), but i would prefer to switch it with the Gijon stage (i prefer an Oviedo finish to Gijon). The last transfer to Madrid also would be easier then.

That would be far from normal to me as Froome is not in your top 3. Addittionally, thought I heard that Big Tom is not going for GC, but training for Worlds TT, but might've missed that he has reverted.

bambino said:
railxmig said:

That would be far from normal to me as Froome is not in your top 3. Addittionally, thought I heard that Big Tom is not going for GC, but training for Worlds TT, but might've missed that he has reverted.

Dumoulin isn't going to the Vuelta. Barguil and Kelderman are.

Re:

jaylew said:
I hope Chaves will be in good shape but I'm worried the Tour-Vuelta combo is going to turn out to be a bad idea. Back-to-back GTs doesn't work for too many guys.
That is a big question mark to me as well. I trully hope he can hunt for one stage or two at least regarding his disastrous season so far. Tbf I did not really follow his 3rd TDF week, he might have kept some energy by just finishing it without getting burnt ?

perico said:
bambino said:
railxmig said:

Dumoulin isn't going to the Vuelta. Barguil and Kelderman are.
Sorry, i didn't know Dumoulin is not riding. Thanks for the info. I don't have Froome on my list as i think he'll crash out. If not, then he'll be 2nd because Vuelta. I don't think anyone of the youngsters will win this race, but i still wonder, how Carlos Verona will fare.

I see in Stage 1 they are climbing the mythical Alto de Nimes. It's been categorized as a Cat 3 but shouldn't be underestimated being a lung-bursting 2.4 km @ 1.6%. The fastest rider of the fastest team will be a much deserved wearer of the mountains jersey for Stage 2

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
I see in Stage 1 they are climbing the mythical Alto de Nimes. It's been categorized as a Cat 3 but shouldn't be underestimated being a lung-bursting 2.4 km @ 1.6%. The fastest rider of the fastest team will be a much deserved wearer of the mountains jersey for Stage 2

Is this the most ridiculous categorization ever ? ok- Latrape this year as well...

On a fair note -they need to give away the jersey

Re: Re:

TromleTromle said:
Eyeballs Out said:

Is this the most ridiculous categorization ever ? ok- Latrape this year as well...

Stage 2 in Vuelta 2009 had a cat 4 "hill" which was 15m from sea level. And apparently it's surroundings were also 15m from sea level.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

Toonser said:
Jagartrott said:
According to this full provisional starting list, no Adam Hansen for L-S. Shocking!
https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/893367932868333568
LTS posted a medical update yesterday which indicated that Hansen is still recovering from his TdF saddle sore:

Adam Hansen suffered from saddle sore in the last Tour week. The Aussie is taking some rest while the injury is healing.

Well according to Hansen it was the teams decision and he is not happy but towing he line
Soemone is telling porkies I guess

No Cort for ORICA? He won't be pleased about that but I guess that it makes sense with both Yateses and Chaves present (and the fact that he probably will leave the team has not helped him either).

Edit: Cort thinks that he will be there no matter what the initial start list says, so I guess we'll just have to see.

TromleTromle said:
Eyeballs Out said:

It's a rather normal behaviour, not only to give the jersey but also as a reward for the breakaway so smaller teams can have an additional objective. There is a tiny problem however... It's on a TTT!? How? What!?! But this misses the point... Will it really be the guy from the winning team, who crossed it first? I can understand categorisation in an ITT, but TTT? Either i'm too stupid for this or Vuelta organizers are really trying to outstupid themselves.

Please, don't even remind me about Latrape and current trend in TdF categorisation system. Either get rid of mostly unused cat. 2 (the same with cat. 4 in Giro) or get rid of HC, as it's HC no more. If this trend continues, then soon a random 1km at 3% bump will be HC.

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

railxmig said:
TromleTromle said:
Eyeballs Out said:

It's a rather normal behaviour, not only to give the jersey but also as a reward for the breakaway so smaller teams can have an additional objective. There is a tiny problem however... It's on a TTT!? How? What!?! But this misses the point... Will it really be the guy from the winning team, who crossed it first? I can understand categorisation in an ITT, but TTT? Either i'm too stupid for this or Vuelta organizers are really trying to outstupid themselves.

Please, don't even remind me about Latrape and current trend in TdF categorisation system. Either get rid of mostly unused cat. 2 (the same with cat. 4 in Giro) or get rid of HC, as it's HC no more. If this trend continues, then soon a random 1km at 3% bump will be HC.

There is always the Zomegnan-way. 5km @ 9% ? NO. KAT!

That being said I generally like the simpler Giro/Vuelta Cat system than the TDF...
even though the Vuelta sometimes makes it look stupid. But in general that only give 2-3 mountain the ESP cat and that is for some good reasons. This year we got Pandera, SN, Machucas & Angliru right ?