• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta speculation

Its that time of year. The Tour was relatively underwhelming so we are as always left to speculate how the next GT is gonna pan out. As always, we are hoping for a better spectacle and for the most part, despite its flaws, the Vuelta delivers. Somewhat. This year tho, its the best Vuelta-route I can remember. I genuinely like this one so I have high expectations....

...but it will feel awfully weird to me to watch a Vuelta without Rodriguez and Valverde, but life goes on. New faces. Some old still tho, I think Sanchez is scheduled to ride and maybe we get Contador as well. But its soon the end of an era...

Froome is certain. So is Chaves. Nibali, Yates (both, I think), Zakarin, Bardet, Aru, Kruijswijk, Uran, Majka. Help me out, I don't know if those are confirmed names. Its not bad, but its not the flying Spanish trio of 2012 either.

Confirmed:
Froome
Chaves
Nibali
Zakarin
Aru
M.A. Lopez
Kruijswijk
Jungels
A. Yates
S. Yates
Marc Soler
Barguil
Pozzovivo
Kelderman
De la Cruz
Contador

If everything falls in place/top-10 riders:
Roson
Alaphilippe
Betancur
Formolo
Poels
Bennett
Oomen
Ruben Fernandez
Costa
Atapuma
The LEGENDARY Sebastian R
Rafael Valls
Roche
Celano
Dani Moreno
Bardet (no GC)
Majka (no GC)
Sammy S
Spilak

Re:

Red Rick said:
I wonder which sprinters will show up. Chances of about 5/6 sprints, and all of these stages are pretty flat. If you don't have GC guy but a really fast sprinter bringing a sprint train isn't all that terrible an idea.
Are we looking at the same route? I don't count that many sprints at all. I mean pure sprints, at least.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Will Fuglsang be there?
Pretty sure I heard he isn't. Too bad for him.

Im mostly intrigued if the Tour guys (Bardet, Uran, Aru, Contador) will compete in this Vuelta and what their goals are.

Bardet is supposed to ride, but he looks total knackered, so could be that he skips it and focus on the autumn classics.

I think Rigo willl be there although he is never good in Spain and personally I think Contador skips it and will focus on his last next year.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
I wonder which sprinters will show up. Chances of about 5/6 sprints, and all of these stages are pretty flat. If you don't have GC guy but a really fast sprinter bringing a sprint train isn't all that terrible an idea.
Are we looking at the same route? I don't count that many sprints at all. I mean pure sprints, at least.
Stages 2, 4,13 and 21 for sure. 7 could be a reduced sprint. And somehow that seems a lot worse than 5 minutes ago.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
This route suits Kruijswijk. I don't think he likes the heat, I don't know, can anyone enlighten me? He should be really motivated for this one. Like really.
A pure diesel climber who's usually best at steady long climbs and roller coaster stages? No Vuelta is great for him, but I guess that the 3 most decisive stages must suit him.

Tonton said:
I hope that FDJ brings Demare and 3-4 of his guys. Reichenbach seems to be a safe bet. Morabito? Probably. I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Gaudu :eek: .
At 20, I'd hate to see him at a GT, but since FDJ couldn't care less about finishing the Tour de France of all races with enough people to fill one room, I guess you could take him and just have him drop out after the first or second rest day. The Vuelta should be used to that.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
I count as many as 6 sprintstages, and that's being generous in the stages to Cuenca, Sagunt and Gijon. Those seem more for guys like Lobato and Barbero I'm just hoping we'll get a better field than Meersman and Jonas f-ing Vangenechten.
UAE really should send Modolo to the Vuelta, he's no longer as fast as a pure sprinter, but he has improved as a classics rider, same with his climbing.
From what I've heard Kudus will ride the Vuelta.
Durning the TdS Pozzovivo said that now that his climbing is back on track he'll work more on his T skills for the Vulta, will we see another crazy Vuelta ITT from Domenico? :D

Red Rick said:
Tonton said:
I hope that FDJ brings Demare and 3-4 of his guys. Reichenbach seems to be a safe bet. Morabito? Probably. I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Gaudu :eek: .
At 20, I'd hate to see him at a GT, but since FDJ couldn't care less about finishing the Tour de France of all races with enough people to fill one room, I guess you could take him and just have him drop out after the first or second rest day. The Vuelta should be used to that.
It's called cost savings :cool: . Only need one car, eat at McDonalds, all sleep in one hotel room... :eek:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
This route suits Kruijswijk. I don't think he likes the heat, I don't know, can anyone enlighten me? He should be really motivated for this one. Like really.
A pure diesel climber who's usually best at steady long climbs and roller coaster stages? No Vuelta is great for him, but I guess that the 3 most decisive stages must suit him.
Well for Vuelta-standards its good I think. He can't really get it any better.

TRENDING THREADS