• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta speculation

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Broth3r said:
Nirvana said:
They added the terrible "Alto de Nimes" in the TTT.
I think that when the Tour years ago put a KOM on a bridge was harder than this :D

PROFIL.png
What annoys me most about this isn't even the KOM itself - it's the "Alto". It just sounds awful to call a "climb" outside Spain that. Not quite as bad as "Côte de Buttertubs", but close.
Nothing wrong with the buttertub, I ended up with crazy sunburn and fished as a part on it

rick james said:
Broth3r said:
Nirvana said:
I think that when the Tour years ago put a KOM on a bridge was harder than this :D

PROFIL.png
What annoys me most about this isn't even the KOM itself - it's the "Alto". It just sounds awful to call a "climb" outside Spain that. Not quite as bad as "Côte de Buttertubs", but close.
Nothing wrong with the buttertub, I ended up with crazy sunburn and fished as a part on it
I personally don't mind giving it the spanish prefix for "côte". I have other problems with it. First, the name is just lazy. I assume such a summit must have it's own name. If not, then the distric it's in should have a name. Why naming it after the whole city? Why not promote a lesser known place/district within the city? The other problem is... why is it on a TTT? It logistically and contextually feels wrong. I would prefer to move the token jersey-grabber for the next stage. At least then the kom winner would be forced to go for the right breakaway and win the uphill sprint. It would be an actual achievement, not just a straight up giveaway.

railxmig said:
rick james said:
Broth3r said:
Nirvana said:

PROFIL.png
I personally don't mind giving it the spanish prefix for "côte". I have other problems with it. First, the name is just lazy. I assume such a summit must have it's own name. If not, then the distric it's in should have a name. Why naming it after the whole city? Why not promote a lesser known place/district within the city? The other problem is... why is it on a TTT? It logistically and contextually feels wrong. I would prefer to move the token jersey-grabber for the next stage. At least then the kom winner would be forced to go for the right breakaway and win the uphill sprint. It would be an actual achievement, not just a straight up giveaway.
I think it's a great idea having KOM points in a first stage TTT. Firstly, it gives the jersey out straight away, which is good for sponsors and therefore the sport as a whole. Secondly, it gives the smaller non GC focused teams, something to aim for in the TT. Otherwise the whole stage is a waste of time for them; just cruising round within the time limi. Now though, they can go balls out on the first half of the course and have the chance of being on the podium at the end of the day. Plus, because it's giving out so few points, it's not going to have any impact on the overall result of the competition.

The first real KOM points come on stage 3 anyway, so it's not like the TTT KOM winners will be holding the jersey for a week or something ridiculous.

alexix7 said:
Lexman said:
Any idea who might win the KOM, and sprint jersey?

sprint yersey - someone who will be in TOP 6-8 in GC and has a good finish, maybe Chaves
KOM - Fraile the biggest favourite, but someone with GC ambitions who lose chance of good GC result after 3rd stage could challenge him.... or maybe some pro-konti rider like Warbasse
I think Alaphillipe is another strong contender for green.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Silly little thing; there are three brother-pairs in the race.

The Yateses, the Nibalis, and two of the Turgises (and of course they weren't gonna bring a 19-year-old stagiare).
+ 2x Clarke, just to confuse people.
As I have Kirby (probably) as my commentator, I will be in no doubt who is the true Clarke.

As for the Nibalis, it will be very easy to differentiate, even though they are likely to be solo all the time: one Nibali will be dropped every climb, and the other leading it by himself, having smited the wannabes. Vincenzo and Antonio respectively, in case you couldn't work it out.

Re:

Ricco' said:
How will the KOM times be defined? The team time from km 0 to km 7.3 or from km 4.9 to km 7.3?

If it's the first option it's even more stupid.
Surely the first option is the sensible one. Points are normally awarded to the first riders over the summit not the ones who did the actual climb quickest.

It doesn't matter much really. It's just to make sure the sponsor gets the jersey on all stages.

TRENDING THREADS