• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14: Écija - Sierra de la Pandera (175 km)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
Entertaining stage. Majka once again living up to his reputation as an elite climber and a fighter.

Disappointing to see Contador just wheelsucking and not offering Nibali a hand - perhaps suggests he's got his eyes on a podium positions and sees Nibali as the bigger threat than Froome.
Or perhaps he's riding at his limit
Doubt it. The Contador of old would have taken his turn even if he was close to his limit. It was a bit cowardly just to lean on Nibali like that.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gigs_98 said:
Yes yes yes. Please let this not be a yoyo
You fool.. you even knew it deep in your heart :D
Let's be honest, everyone did ;)

RedheadDane said:
[quote="Gigs_98":3laudrvk]One word: meh

So... because the contenders try, but just aren't strong enough, it's a "meh"?[/quote]
Yeah, at the end nothing really happened so the stage didn't have the impact I hoped it would have --> meh

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
At least for Nibali he was definitively the strongest (bar Lopez) today. I think Froome has lost a tiny bit due to recovering from his crashes but obviously not much.

Its funny that Contador goes from the by far most aggressive rider in the peloton on medium mountain days to almost Meintjens-esque follower on real mountain stages. Was the same picture on Calar Alto apart from his little dig early on, then just stayed on Nibali's wheel the whole way.

LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
News time: Contador won`t retiree this year. He just signed with Sky and is happy to help Froome **** on his legacy.

For real: Alberto really disappointed today. It seems like Nibali was a bit stronger than Froome but nobody wanted to work with him while Poels paced Froome and eventually neutralized Nibalis move. Contadors looked like another Sky helper today.
Stop being ridiculous, please. Contador was at his limit, should he have worked with Nibali and lost 20s more at the finish?

Considering the fact that you guys hyped him after he gained 20s because he wasn`t chased I might as well be dsappointed that he isn`t delivering against the top guys when it matters.

DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
Gigs_98 said:
One word: meh
Froome has the actual control. Nibali and contador attacked from far to gain 100m ( unless time bonus).
They have to attack every day though if Froome is going to crack at some point. He didn't look great today - and he may well look worse tomorrow and the day after, before really going pop at one stage.

I dont think Nibali was that strong either, but he recognises the need to make the race hard every day in from this point if he has a chance of winning. Perhaps learning his lesson from the Giro.
what lesson did nibali have to learn from the giro? he gave his all best, showing his attacking nature, which was good enough to take a podium spot on week 3.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Disappointing to see Contador just wheelsucking and not offering Nibali a hand - perhaps suggests he's got his eyes on a podium positions and sees Nibali as the bigger threat than Froome.
You're like a broken record. Contador says A "it suggests his goal is the podium" Contador does B "it suggests he is defending his podium position" Contador tries C "clearly, he is eyeing a podium spot". Your agenda is so obvious.
It's the only logical explanation as far as I can see. If he is genuinely trying to win the race, he has to gamble and work with Nibali there to try to crack Froome - even if he is close to his limit.

He was racing against Nibali there, not against Froome.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Great ride from Majka. Froome in complete control of Nibali and Contador despite some injuries. Nibali riding a good race and should continue chipping away. Contador has nothing more than the strength required to follow Nibali, he was in the red.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
You're like a broken record. Contador says A "it suggests his goal is the podium" Contador does B "it suggests he is defending his podium position" Contador tries C "clearly, he is eyeing a podium spot". Your agenda is so obvious.

But you said he wants to win. Always. Nothing else matters. I didn't see that all or nothing attitude today. Not a single time. If he waa on the limit earlier, then how the hell he followed all accelerations later?

DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
Gigs_98 said:
One word: meh
Froome has the actual control. Nibali and contador attacked from far to gain 100m ( unless time bonus).
They have to attack every day though if Froome is going to crack at some point. He didn't look great today - and he may well look worse tomorrow and the day after, before really going pop at one stage.

I dont think Nibali was that strong either, but he recognises the need to make the race hard every day in from this point if he has a chance of winning. Perhaps learning his lesson from the Giro.
Of course they must. But i do not see so great legs to do something. Froome surely doesn't look great but neither in trouble.
Tomorrow will be the last chance to crack him

DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
Entertaining stage. Majka once again living up to his reputation as an elite climber and a fighter.

Doubt it. The Contador of old would have taken his turn even if he was close to his limit. It was a bit cowardly just to lean on Nibali like that.
He's been dropped in the last meters of the last two MTFs letting go Kelderman and Zaka who are his rivals for 3rd place. But don't let the facts change your views ;)

ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:
ice&fire said:
DFA123 said:

He's been dropped in the last meters of the last two MTFs letting go Kelderman and Zaka who are his rivals for 3rd place. But don't let the facts change your views ;)
The fact that Contador is hopeless at sprinting in the last 200m changes nothing. He tried to close down attacks from Nibali, Kelderman and Zakarin this stage, without working with any of them at any stage to try to put Froome under pressure.

He's protecting his GC position, not gambling and riding for the win.

Re:

portugal11 said:
I fear that contador is riding for a podium place... why should be respond to kelderman's attack?
I think he was hoping they would catch Majka and he could sprint for the victory. He would have closed Lopez' attack if it hadn't been a nuclear attack :)

Rollthedice said:
Berto was at his limit, he would've worked it was in his own interest also. I don't think it's gonna be bad blood between them and I hope his legs don't desert him completely, he is the only valuable ally for Nibs to try and break Froome.
Finally, a sensible post. Thanks. Berto was riding for himself, not against anyone, he had the legs to close attacks but not to continue to push a high tempo. He was suffering on Nibali's wheel, it was obvious.

LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
Considering the fact that you guys hyped him after he gained 20s because he wasn`t chased I might as well be dsappointed that he isn`t delivering against the top guys when it matters.
So you admit you're disappointed because your expectations were too high. Fair enough.

That sums it up but the sarcasm helps to deal with it.
I really hope that Contador has one last brave effort in him in the coming stages. Obviously I want Nibali to win the race but my dream is a combined effort of both ending with a stage win for Alberto and the GC for Nibali.

TRENDING THREADS