• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14: Écija - Sierra de la Pandera (175 km)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Rollthedice said:
Berto was at his limit, he would've worked it was in his own interest also. I don't think it's gonna be bad blood between them and I hope his legs don't desert him completely, he is the only valuable ally for Nibs to try and break Froome.

This. The man was cooked, he got dropped in the final for 6 seconds. Yet people keep yapping against him. As if he wouldn't have pushed on with Nibali if he could!

Nibali is stronger but he needs Alberto. They are the only 2 in the race with the B*lls to put it all on the line. Hopefully Alberto has enough left to give it another go tomorrow.

Whilst I agree that Nibs and Bert have the balls to put it all on the line, it's not true to say they're the only two. Chaves should be included in that number to be fair to him.

Re:

Hayabusa said:
Nibali needs Contador more than Contador needs Nibali. You need to remember that.

Nibali's little outburst shows a man under a lot of pressure to deliver and if he blows up the alliance then he'll have nobody to work with and Froome will have a strong team..
I hardly ever agree with your posts but this is spot on... and I don't think Nibali will refuse a future alliance just because of what happened today.

Orbit501 said:
Whilst I agree that Nibs and Bert have the balls to put it all on the line, it's not true to say they're the only two. Chaves should be included in that number to be fair to him.
I thought it was brave of him to try an early attack today considering his losses on stage 11. He paid for it in the end but kudos for trying.

Re:

skippo12 said:
Ok enough Contador bashing from my side...Following Froome seems to be the safest way if you want to finish the Vuelta on the podium. Kelderman and Zakarin didn`t attack a single time so far and are 3rd and 4th in the GC. They stay behind the Sky train and wait for Froomes move.

They attacked today, but closed down by Contador.

Re:

skippo12 said:
Ok enough Contador bashing from my side...Following Froome seems to be the safest way if you want to finish the Vuelta on the podium. Kelderman and Zakarin didn`t attack a single time so far and are 3rd and 4th in the GC. They stay behind the Sky train and wait for Froomes move.
Kelderman actually tried to attack when he caught up with the front group. But he was immediately countered by Contador. Then Lopez went... no reaction :lol:

movingtarget said:
Isn't that why he is retiring ?
It's been a good while since his last great performance on a long MTF. We might even have to go back to 2014. I don't know why people expected more from him, this is exactly what could have been expected and perhaps a bit better than that. I hoped he would be great and win of course but that's not realistic. I feared he'd do much worse. As you say, if he could still match anyone uphill this wouldn't be his last race.

LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
I tend to agree but both Kelderman and Zakarin tried an attack today. Although they were quite irrelevant attacks.
They were irrelevant because your boy countered them both (why? I really do wonder). Then Lopez went and he did nothing, and in the end he even blew himself.
Strange tactics by Berto :( (i do like him, don't get me wrong)

LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
Blanco said:
arvc40 said:
Great ride from Majka. Froome in complete control of Nibali and Contador despite some injuries. Nibali riding a good race and should continue chipping away. Contador has nothing more than the strength required to follow Nibali, he was in the red.

Froome in complete control wouldn't lose bonus seconds to Nibali. Nibali will strike again tomorrow...

And then lose the minimal gains in the TT.
So? Better to gain 20s and then lose 90s than gain nothing and lose 90s.

A few seconds bonuses here and there won't win the race for Nibali. He should have let Contador sit on, why is he worried about Contador in the last few kms ? Nibali gets a gap then looks for help then slows down. Way to win a bike race. Either save it for another day or attack seriously.

movingtarget said:
LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
Blanco said:
arvc40 said:
Great ride from Majka. Froome in complete control of Nibali and Contador despite some injuries. Nibali riding a good race and should continue chipping away. Contador has nothing more than the strength required to follow Nibali, he was in the red.

Froome in complete control wouldn't lose bonus seconds to Nibali. Nibali will strike again tomorrow...

A few seconds bonuses here and there won't win the race for Nibali. He should have let Contador sit on, why is he worried about Contador in the last few kms ? Nibali gets a gap then looks for help then slows down. Way to win a bike race. Either save it for another day or attack seriously.

Well it would be bit suspisious if someone rides simply away on this level. Even Froome hasn't done that for ages.

There is no man that can crack the Sky train just by himself.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
I tend to agree but both Kelderman and Zakarin tried an attack today. Although they were quite irrelevant attacks.
They were irrelevant because your boy countered them both (why? I really do wonder). Then Lopez went and he did nothing, and in the end he even blew himself.
They were irrelevant cause those were half-hearted attempts, kind of like they hoped to sneak away with no one countering. Lopez was determined to get away.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
If he responded to Zaka and Kelderman but not to Lopez then his tactics were definitely weird.
He was on his limit though so that may explain him not working with Nibali.

movingtarget said:
LaFlorecita said:
movingtarget said:
Blanco said:
arvc40 said:

Yes, he was definitely riding for the 4 secs bonus today... :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
They were irrelevant cause those were half-hearted attempts, kind of like they hoped to sneak away with no one countering. Lopez was determined to get away.
No, Lopez attack was the same as the others. But at a flatter section. And a second difference, really no reaction. Of nobody. Contador was almost immediately on the wheel of Zakarin and Kelderman

Forever The Best said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
If he responded to Zaka and Kelderman but not to Lopez then his tactics were definitely weird.
no one could have countered Lopez, well, maybe Froome. His attack was super explosive, while Zakarin and Kelderman just did a minor acceleration.

Orbit501 said:
Carols said:
Rollthedice said:
Berto was at his limit, he would've worked it was in his own interest also. I don't think it's gonna be bad blood between them and I hope his legs don't desert him completely, he is the only valuable ally for Nibs to try and break Froome.

This. The man was cooked, he got dropped in the final for 6 seconds. Yet people keep yapping against him. As if he wouldn't have pushed on with Nibali if he could!

Nibali is stronger but he needs Alberto. They are the only 2 in the race with the B*lls to put it all on the line. Hopefully Alberto has enough left to give it another go tomorrow.

I was speaking about a long term style of riding, phrased it poorly I guess.

Yes Chavito gets kudos for his effort today :).

bambino said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Disappointing to see Contador just wheelsucking and not offering Nibali a hand - perhaps suggests he's got his eyes on a podium positions and sees Nibali as the bigger threat than Froome.
You're like a broken record. Contador says A "it suggests his goal is the podium" Contador does B "it suggests he is defending his podium position" Contador tries C "clearly, he is eyeing a podium spot". Your agenda is so obvious.

But you said he wants to win. Always. Nothing else matters. I didn't see that all or nothing attitude today. Not a single time. If he waa on the limit earlier, then how the hell he followed all accelerations later?

I thing called recovery as the slopes eased

LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
LaFlorecita said:
skippo12 said:
no one could have countered Lopez, well, maybe Froome. His attack was super explosive, while Zakarin and Kelderman just did a minor acceleration.

Far from true. Lopez tried earlier but Contador marked him, like he did with Kelderman and Zakarin. Only reason why Lopez attack stick is that nobody countered for at least 5-6 seconds. It was false flat and that's why it looked like super explosive.

TRENDING THREADS