• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14 - Sunday 13th Sep - Granada-La Pandera 157km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
So, 1 mountain stage and 1 time trial to go.

Anything can still happen. Well, except a frenchman winning. We all know that never happens :D

I read whining, so I was very confused....

Impressive how Mosquerra climbs away from all the other favourites. And Sanchez climbing his way to the front of the race!

Tomorrow Sanchez in the descent to the finish hehe Although I guess a breakaway is more likely

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
a break mate. Still doesn't change the fact, he failed to deliver in terms of GC. ;)

Good stage. Hard to see Evans and Basso getting podium anymore. Mosquera as good as he has been, wont either.

I think Valv has won this, Sanchez will probably get over gesink. We'll see.

Serious crash in stage 4 from Fuglsang remember. He had some serious flesh wounds to the leg. Those really sap the strength out of your legs. Still showed some moxie on a couple of stage. Good work from the lad.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Serious crash in stage 4 from Fuglsang remember. He had some serious flesh wounds to the leg. Those really sap the strength out of your legs. Still showed some moxie on a couple of stage. Good work from the lad.

You have to understand the people around the forum hating him: anyone who trains with and idolizes Rasmussen isn't easily trusted.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
On the steep pitch, getting pushed is a HUGE advantage. On the non steep parts we know what Valverde can do.

It's not Valverdes fault, but it is now definately a cheated competition/stage. Sad. I blame the Spanish fans.

Don't worry, those eagle-eyed commissaires will make sure that any advantages are neutralized via penalty. :rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:

I agree he hasn't done bad, but as I said earlier 6th or 7th in the dauphne shouldn't earn him a favorite title at a GT. Crashes aside, I just don't think the guy is as good as some precieve him to be. Maybe in a couple years time he'll be a force to be reckoned with. But not yet. My opinion of course.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I agree he hasn't done bad, but as I said earlier 6th or 7th in the dauphne shouldn't earn him a favorite title at a GT. Crashes aside, I just don't think the guy is as good as some precieve him to be. Maybe in a couple years time he'll be a force to be reckoned with. But not yet. My opinion of course.

But a 4th place should?

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Tomorrow's stage could see sanchez try something on the descent too.
And of course stage 19 will be interesting. I can see Sanchez winning this yet.
+1
He is definitely becoming the main threat.
I remember how strong a third week he rode, back in 2007.
He's got some downhill finishes to come.
Friday's mountain stage and the ITT are in his favour and we all know about Valverde's third week fuel defecits.

I also agree re the Piti-pushes. Should at least equal Evans's harsh penalty....but it won't happen, unless Don Ale revokes his citizenship.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
But a 4th place should?

nope. He came 4th at the 08' edition, didn't come to the vuelta as a favorite. But rode to an impressive 7th place as the age of 22. Then came 4th again this year on top of some other impressive performances. So that is why gesink is a favorite, and has proven himself worthy of the title buddy :)

Not to mention Gesink has shown himself against big GC riders in the past.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
nope. He came 4th at the 08' edition, didn't come to the vuelta as a favorite. But rode to an impressive 7th place as the age of 22. Then came 4th again this year on top of some other impressive performances. So that is why gesink is a favorite, and has proven himself worthy of the title buddy :)

I know. I was just teasing a little. I love 'my son' Robert a lot too, you know.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I know. I was just teasing a little. I love 'my son' Robert a lot too, you know.

yeah i know. It is hard not to support the youth of the sport, they're pretty exciting.

A year or two and Gesink is gonna be up there with Andy and AC at the tour imo.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Valverde was just asked by the TV guys "How much of the vuelta do you think you have in the bag?"

70% he said.

He surprised everyone. That's a bold statement.

SergeDeM said:
Valverde was just asked by the TV guys "How much of the vuelta do you think you have in the bag?"

70% he said.

You know, i kind of agree with him there. Most of the hard work's been done, only a couple stage left, and he's clearly a better time trialist than his closest rival. I'd say 70-75% is about right.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
SergeDeM said:

70% he said.

I'd agree with the 70% . His biggest threat is SS. There lays the doubt I'd say. Gesink will have a hard time getting any time back now. But you never know I guess.

He should podium though. Quite the achievement considering his age.

A

Anonymous

Good stage... Would love to know who pushed Valverde up that hill though.. :eek: Nice ride by cunego.. :D I love a bit of rain..

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
You know, i kind of agree with him there. Most of the hard work's been done, only a couple stage left, and he's clearly a better time trialist than his closest rival. I'd say 70-75% is about right.

I agree as well. It's just that it's unusual to hear the rider himself say so.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeah i know. It is hard not to support the youth of the sport, they're pretty exciting.

A year or two and Gesink is gonna be up there with Andy and AC at the tour imo.

Also, i looked it up. Fuglsang was 6th in the Dauphine this year, only 20 seconds behind confirmed dope fiend Mikel 'Pablo Escobar' Astarloza. So that counts as a 5th in my books.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Also, i looked it up. Fuglsang was 6th in the Dauphine this year, only 20 seconds behind confirmed dope fiend Mikel 'Pablo Escobar' Astarloza. So that counts as a 5th in my books.

didn't you here MA said he was innocent, it must be true ;)

Valverde has a lot of heart - what ever else people might say about the guy - he is one tough mother!

It's good to see someone dig deep to put their mark on the GC. I think his statement of "70% there" might be conservative but I wonder if he is still worried about his ability to keep together in the third week of a GT?

Still some racing to be done... :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
2 downhill finishes (how technical are they?) including bonus seconds...
1 hilly TT
one slightly uphill sprint finish, hence bonus seconds.

All in all, they favour Sanchez and Valv more than Gesink.

The good thing is that Valverde and Gesink would benefit from breakaways that stay away till the finish.

That means that Rabobank and Caisse, in theory, don't have to do any work, while Euskaltel might not have the team to control the race?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Valverde has a lot of heart - what ever else people might say about the guy - he is one tough mother!

Remember the Angliru stage last year. Contador floated up the climb but Valverde had to battle with all he had to keep the gap close. I was amazed that Valv only lost 42 seconds. He showed some serious mettle.

Valverde says: "No me he puesto nervioso y lo único que he pensado ha sido en coger mi ritmo"

That means he was not at his limit but saving energies for the final. He is prooving a lot of madurity this year. For those that think he always have a bad day it can be said that today was that day. And he doesn't like rain, that's clear

Valverde's performance on Pandera

I moved a few of the posts discussing Valverde's performance today on Pandera into the clinic - please feel free to carry on a broader discussion there if folks feel inclined.

Hope that's ok :)

TRENDING THREADS