• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 15: Alcalá la Real - Sierra Nevada (129.4 km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Great stuff from Lopez. I think Froome was vulnerable today; he leant on Poels until the final 200m, normally he'd have gone with Zakarin - especially with a rest day tomorrow. Unfortunately only Lopez had the balls and legs to take advantage of the weakness.

Lopez is a big threat now to Nibali I think. Could easily take another few minutes on Angliru and Machucos on this form.

Froome indeed was vulnerable. But the opposition was even weaker.

Aru is tired after the Tour
Chavito is not at the same level as last year
Nibali tried, but didn't have the legs at the end
Kelderman is a negative rider who only follows

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Great stuff from Lopez. I think Froome was vulnerable today; he leant on Poels until the final 200m, normally he'd have gone with Zakarin - especially with a rest day tomorrow. Unfortunately only Lopez had the balls and legs to take advantage of the weakness.

Lopez is a big threat now to Nibali I think. Could easily take another few minutes on Angliru and Machucos on this form.
Contador tried as well. He just didn't have the legs.
True - that's kind of what I meant. Lopez was the only one with the balls and the legs to take advantage. I bet there could be a couple of guys who finished in that main group wishing they had gone with the Contador/Lopez move. With someone like Zakarin or Kelderman working as well Froome could have been losing well over a minute.

Cance > TheRest said:
PremierAndrew said:
portugal11 said:
Froome without sky, wouldn't have half of his palmares

On the contrary, Froome would arguably have an extra Tour and two extra Vueltas if it wasn't for Sky ;)
Maybe he would have lost the 2015 tour without SKY though. It's not that simple
The Sky system would replace Froome with someone else that would beat the world with that team. Froome would not be invincible at say Trek or Cannondale, but he's still amazing.

zeamonkey said:
DFA123 said:
spalco said:
Does Lopez have a reasonable TT?
Think he's a bit of an unknown quantity, he's barely done a flat TT of any length since joining Astana. But he's clearly the freshest and strongest of the GC guys right now, which will help a lot.

"A strong time trial in the penultimate stage of the Tour de Suisse has given Colombia’s Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana) overall victory in the nine-stage WorldTour race.

Lopez went into the stage 8 individual time trial in second overall, 21 seconds behind leader Warren Barguil (Giant-Alpecin), before posting the second fastest time of the day. Ion Izagirre (Movistar) clinched the stage, completing the hilly 16.8km effort in 21:31 (46.8km/h average) while Lopez was 18 seconds behind."
Not flat but still...
Well yeah, he did a decent hilly TT in Euskadi as well I remember. Of course he's going to be fairly competent on hilly or mountainous terrain. But am struggling to think of anything notable on a flat course; he's an unknown quantity. Will be interesting to see what he can do.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

DFA123 said:
True - that's kind of what I meant. Lopez was the only one with the balls and the legs to take advantage. I bet there could be a couple of guys who finished in that main group wishing they had gone with the Contador/Lopez move. With someone like Zakarin or Kelderman working as well Froome could have been losing well over a minute.

:lol: Jesus man you've been spamming all over the forum how Froome is weak, how he is bluffing, now he again extends his GC lead and here you are back to the same old story. It's getting soo old.

hazaran said:
DFA123 said:

:lol: Jesus man you've been spamming all over the forum how Froome is weak, how he is bluffing, now he again extends his GC lead and here you are back to the same old story. It's getting soo old.
He was clearly a lot weaker today than he was at the start of the race. He leant on his team the whole way today, and got comfortably outsprinted for bonus seconds. Plus he let a dangerous climber gain a minute on him.

He's probably got enough of an advantage to hold them off in the last week, but that's all he's doing now. He's leaning more and more on his team and trying to limit losses (good luck doing that on Angliru or Machucos) - not showboating and attacking like he was earlier in the race.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

DFA123 said:
He was clearly a lot weaker today than he was at the start of the race. He leant on his team the whole way today, and got comfortably outsprinted for bonus seconds. Plus he let a dangerous climber gain a minute on him.

He's probably got enough of an advantage to hold them off in the last week, but that's all he's doing now. He's leaning more and more on his team and trying to limit losses (good luck doing that on Angliru or Machucos) - not showboating and attacking like he was earlier in the race.

What losses? Better look up the results sheet.

DFA123 said:
hazaran said:
DFA123 said:

He leaned on his team in the Tour as well but still won. Looks like textbook Sky to me.

TRENDING THREADS