• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 15: Alcalá la Real - Sierra Nevada (129.4 km)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Zakarin gets stronger as races progress. He can TT well. If he can stay upright (and that's a big if), he's a wildcard.
He is a wheelsucker. He will be happy with third place
Seems he was the only GC rider to come out from wheels to attack in the last couple K's..
Not to mention that he's been aggressive in week 3 of every GT he's ever entered. Though admittedly he's never been this far forward before the second rest day before.

movingtarget said:
DFA123 said:
hazaran said:
DFA123 said:
True - that's kind of what I meant. Lopez was the only one with the balls and the legs to take advantage. I bet there could be a couple of guys who finished in that main group wishing they had gone with the Contador/Lopez move. With someone like Zakarin or Kelderman working as well Froome could have been losing well over a minute.

:lol: Jesus man you've been spamming all over the forum how Froome is weak, how he is bluffing, now he again extends his GC lead and here you are back to the same old story. It's getting soo old.
He was clearly a lot weaker today than he was at the start of the race. He leant on his team the whole way today, and got comfortably outsprinted for bonus seconds. Plus he let a dangerous climber gain a minute on him.

He's probably got enough of an advantage to hold them off in the last week, but that's all he's doing now. He's leaning more and more on his team and trying to limit losses (good luck doing that on Angliru or Machucos) - not showboating and attacking like he was earlier in the race.

He leaned on his team in the Tour as well but still won. Looks like textbook Sky to me.
Sure, I agree he is still in control of this race. But he's undoubtedly getting weaker through this race. In fact, I'd say the first week of this Vuelta is the strongest he's looked all year. Right now he's looking how he did towards the end of the Tour - the one difference is that you can't rely on your teammates to bail you out on some of these climbs in the last week at the Vuelta.

If it was Lopez within a minute of him, rather than Nibali, he'd be in big trouble I think. But it's not, so he should be able to hang on.

Libertine Seguros said:
Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Zakarin gets stronger as races progress. He can TT well. If he can stay upright (and that's a big if), he's a wildcard.
Seems he was the only GC rider to come out from wheels to attack in the last couple K's..
Not to mention that he's been aggressive in week 3 of every GT he's ever entered. Though admittedly he's never been this far forward before the second rest day before.
Indeed.

Re:

Laplaz said:
How much time can Lopez gain on Froome on Angliru? I would say 2 minutes.

Not even remotely enough. He will be 5 min behind Froome after TT.

Lopez is not Froome's main worry. Currently I guess his biggest threads to mark are Nibs and Kelderman.

I don't actually think anyone worries Froome atm. The race seems over.

Libertine Seguros said:
Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Agreed, he was solidly aggressive when he had his legs at the Giro and I'd expect him to be aggressive in the third week here too if the legs are there. Also I'll admit, I won't fault a younger rider for being more conservative when they are in the mix for the first big podium of their career. If it's a lifelong habit then it's going to turn me off but the difference between having that on your resumé and not is massive and I get why people don't want to gamble with it

bambino said:
Laplaz said:

Lopez is not Froome's main worry. Currently I guess his biggest threads to mark are Nibs and Kelderman.

He has a one minute lead over a multiple GT winner and 2-3 minutes over several other dangerous riders. With two of the hardest mountains ever done in pro cycling still to come, while his form is getting worse. I'd say he's concerned. A lot of pressure on him to put in a big time trial now.

bambino said:
Laplaz said:

Nibs on a flattish but long TT? No threat IMO. Fatigue is Froome's biggest worry.

DFA123 said:
bambino said:
Laplaz said:

He has a one minute lead over a multiple GT winner and 2-3 minutes over several other dangerous riders. With two of the hardest mountains ever done in pro cycling still to come, while his form is getting worse. I'd say he's concerned. A lot of pressure on him to put in a big time trial now.
The Angliru and ???

What's the other "hardest" mountain yet to come? Los Machucos?

Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?

Zoophonic said:
bambino said:
Laplaz said:

Nibs on a flattish but long TT? No threat IMO. Fatigue is Froome's biggest worry.

I thought I said Froome is probably not worried about anyone.

But if he would, Nibs would be #1, as he is closest to Froome. And will also be after TT.

DFA123 said:
movingtarget said:
DFA123 said:
hazaran said:
DFA123 said:
True - that's kind of what I meant. Lopez was the only one with the balls and the legs to take advantage. I bet there could be a couple of guys who finished in that main group wishing they had gone with the Contador/Lopez move. With someone like Zakarin or Kelderman working as well Froome could have been losing well over a minute.

:lol: Jesus man you've been spamming all over the forum how Froome is weak, how he is bluffing, now he again extends his GC lead and here you are back to the same old story. It's getting soo old.
He was clearly a lot weaker today than he was at the start of the race. He leant on his team the whole way today, and got comfortably outsprinted for bonus seconds. Plus he let a dangerous climber gain a minute on him.

He's probably got enough of an advantage to hold them off in the last week, but that's all he's doing now. He's leaning more and more on his team and trying to limit losses (good luck doing that on Angliru or Machucos) - not showboating and attacking like he was earlier in the race.

He leaned on his team in the Tour as well but still won. Looks like textbook Sky to me.
Sure, I agree he is still in control of this race. But he's undoubtedly getting weaker through this race. In fact, I'd say the first week of this Vuelta is the strongest he's looked all year. Right now he's looking how he did towards the end of the Tour - the one difference is that you can't rely on your teammates to bail you out on some of these climbs in the last week at the Vuelta.

If it was Lopez within a minute of him, rather than Nibali, he'd be in big trouble I think. But it's not, so he should be able to hang on.

The TT is what Froome is waiting for to go 100% then he will go back to Sky train tactics. Nibali looks similar to his Giro form, good enough to make breaks but not good enough to hold a good gap. Lopez needs a decent TT to keep moving up but at this stage Lopez looks headed for the podium. Zakarin also needs a good TT. No one else is good enough at the moment. Maybe the fight for third will be close if Kelderman can continue to do well. Chaves will lose big time in the TT.

Irondan said:
DFA123 said:
bambino said:
Laplaz said:

The Angliru and ???

What's the other "hardest" mountain yet to come?
There is Los Machucos (Collado Espina) the day after the TT. 7km averaging about 10%, but really irregular, with numerous stretches >25%.

I'm starting to think that Froome's biggest worries are Contador creating a random ambush, or MAL taking off on La Cobertoria.

MAL was insane today. Took time out of Froome on the Monachil, then took time out of Froome while sharing work on half the Sierra Nevada and soloing the other half, whereas Froome didn't put his nose in the wins one bit.

portugal11 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?
Nibali is awful in this type of climbs
I think it suits almost nobody of the top gc men. Zakarin and Kelderman are similar types who like normal gradients more.
I think Chaves and Lopez will have a field day with this. Froome in good form is good on these as well. Poels is a monster on good days on these too.

TRENDING THREADS