• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 15: Alcalá la Real - Sierra Nevada (129.4 km)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
bambino said:
Laplaz said:
How much time can Lopez gain on Froome on Angliru? I would say 2 minutes.

Not even remotely enough. He will be 5 min behind Froome after TT.

Lopez is not Froome's main worry. Currently I guess his biggest threads to mark are Nibs and Kelderman.

I don't actually think anyone worries Froome atm. The race seems over.
He has a one minute lead over a multiple GT winner and 2-3 minutes over several other dangerous riders. With two of the hardest mountains ever done in pro cycling still to come, while his form is getting worse. I'd say he's concerned. A lot of pressure on him to put in a big time trial now.

Normal TT is more than enough. He will 2 minutes to Nibali, 3 to Kelderman and 4-5 for all the rest. That is more than enough for Froome even with fade.

spalco said:
Jungle Cycle said:
spalco said:
Does Lopez have a reasonable TT?

He was great at Swiss last year..

He's the real deal then. Amazing uphill attack, and he can sustain it. Really impressive.

That was a 17km hilly TT route.

In 2013, Quintana beat Porte in the TT to win the Tour of the Basque Country. On that day he came 2nd only to Tony Martin.

Basically, one swallow doesnt make a summer

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm starting to think that Froome's biggest worries are Contador creating a random ambush, or MAL taking off on La Cobertoria.

MAL was insane today. Took time out of Froome on the Monachil, then took time out of Froome while sharing work on half the Sierra Nevada and soloing the other half, whereas Froome didn't put his nose in the wins one bit.

Contador is allowed to do what ever he wants because he is no danger. The only one who isn`t allowed to attack is Nibali...he was chased hard and at least reduced the Sky train with his move.
Depending on his time trial performance Lopez won`t get as much freedom either.
Kelderman and Zakarin are contend to follow the train and gain seconds for the podium.
Honestly I think the race is over.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Problem is Machucos suits Froome perfectly

Compare it to Pena Cabarga
Machucos is absolutely nothing like Peña Cabarga. It's much, much more irregular. And much, much steeper. It's far more like the last 7km of Angliru.

That's not to say it wouldnt also suit a top form Froome; but looking at Peña Cabarga as a precedent is completely wrong imo.

Re: Vuelta Stage 15: Alcalá la Real - Sierra Nevada (129.4 k

Sky kills cycling. The team is ridiculous. Puccio pushing in El purche and almost not loosing ground with Lopez and Contador. Then Moscon, Nieve :surprised: and Poels almost looking he could drink a coke can (again)

Froome doesnt deserve to be one of the greatest, never will.

Re: Vuelta Stage 15: Alcalá la Real - Sierra Nevada (129.4 k

Aguirre said:
Sky kills cycling. The team is ridiculous. Puccio pushing in El purche and almost not loosing ground with Lopez and Contador. Then Moscon, Nieve :surprised: and Poels almost looking he could drink a coke can (again)

Froome doesnt deserve to be one of the greatest, never will.

Not losing ground? Lopez and Contador pulled out well over a minute. Sky were riding within themselves as neither rider was a threat. As soon as Nibali attacked and they had to up the pace, Moscon blew.

DFA123 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Machucos is absolutely nothing like Peña Cabarga. It's much, much more irregular. And much, much steeper. It's far more like the last 7km of Angliru.

That's not to say it wouldnt also suit a top form Froome; but looking at Peña Cabarga as a precedent is completely wrong imo.

Kms 3-7 are identical to Pena Cabarga, and then there are the alternative 25% ramps followed by flat for a couple of kilometres before that, which does make it different, but overall it's pretty similar to Pena Cabarga. Not to mention Froome will at least have teammates for the flat sections before the long sustained double figure gradient section

Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?
Nibali is awful in this type of climbs
26%... wtf?

Who isn't awful in climbs of this type... :D
Yeah, this profile is straight out of a Mayomaniac design :eek: . With one major difference though: I can pronounce the climb's name :) . Nasty one for sure.

Tonton said:
Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?
26%... wtf?

Yeah, this profile is straight out of a Mayomaniac design :eek: . With one major difference though: I can pronounce the climb's name :) . Nasty one for sure.
Yeah, the more I look at it, the uglier it gets... :eek:

Irondan said:
Tonton said:
Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?
26%... wtf?

Yeah, the more I look at it, the uglier it gets... :eek:

Meh, finish at 1.2%....Trentin FTW

Froome really does love medium-length and steep climbs though, ones that are too long to punch over but not long enough to become true endurance suffer-fests. In addition to his history at Peña Cabarga (5,6km @ 9,4%), you have La Planche des Belles Filles (5,8km @ 8,5%), Allanadas del Santo (5,5km @ 9,6%), Cumbre del Sol (3,8km @ 10,3%), Cumbres Verdes (5,0km @ 9,0%), Jabal al-Akhdar (2014 variant)(5,7km @ 10,5%), Ax-3-Domaines (7,8km @ 8,2%).

The one that he didn't do so well on, the exception to this rule, was La Camperona, although he did his usual yo-yo job in the end. The thing that sets Los Machucos apart from most of these, however, is how the really brutal stuff is right at the bottom. With a lot of these, Froome's recipe for success has been either for the team to set a high tempo and then him to just ride everyone away when he feels good, or to ride his way into the climb and do the patented yo-yo trick letting others burn themselves out attacking before dosing his efforts back to them. The big issue is that those first super-brutal ramps will get rid of a lot of people at the start of the climb, and even if Froome can keep some of his domestiques with him, setting a consistent tempo to work their usual tactics will be very difficult (cross-reference Arroyo screaming at Jeannesson to calm down as the Frenchman tried to pace him up the Zoncolan in 2010 but the horrible gradients made setting a good, consistent tempo impossible), and if he is starting to fade and so the yo-yo technique is favoured, the distance that could be lost on those steeper ramps may make fighting back on harder. The irregularity of Los Machucos is such that it could be a difficult one to find too many precedents for.

PremierAndrew said:
DFA123 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Kms 3-7 are identical to Pena Cabarga, and then there are the alternative 25% ramps followed by flat for a couple of kilometres before that, which does make it different, but overall it's pretty similar to Pena Cabarga. Not to mention Froome will at least have teammates for the flat sections before the long sustained double figure gradient section
It's not at all similar to ride - they are completely different kind of climb. I have ridden both and Mahucos is much harder - Peña Cabarga is just your standard murito - it's a 10% grind until the last 2km before one big 5 minute effort and a sprint finish. On Machucos though the fact that the super steep sections come at the start transforms the rest of the climb. In Peña Cabarga, the steep bit is at the end, so is basically an extended sprint to the finish. On Machucos the steep bits are early and put everyone in the red, before the upper section. And the steep bits peak at 30%, with sustained sections at 25%. That's steeper than the Cuena les Cabres - steeper than anything Zoncolan has to offer.

And the upper section is also nothing like Peña Cabarga - it's way more irregular, with loads of pitches of 18% mixed in with slightly flatter sections. Team mates will be next to useless for the whole climb.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Tonton said:
Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Los Muchachos.. @Irondan

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

Did you miss this memo?
26%... wtf?

Thanks, I take that as a compliment. :D

TRENDING THREADS