Vuelta Stage 17: Villadiego - Los Machucos (180.5 km)

Today the peloton moves towards the Cantabrian mountains. After a long and technical descent the Alisas will narrow down the group. The final climb is very rough and irregular. It has never been in a race before. The riders will be welcomed by the monument to the Pasiega cattle.


Fernando Escartín commentary:
Mountain. Castille will bid farewell to the peloton with a simple start to the stage, followed by almost 3,000 metres of slopes. The spectacular descent from La Lunada, that will lead straight onto the Alisas mountain pass, and the final climb up the infernal Los Machucos slopes will really test the peloton's strength.

Stage profile:


Climbs:
Km 107.3 - Portillo de Lunada: 8.3 kilometre-long climb at 5.7% - category 2
Km 162.6 - Puerto de Alisas: 10 kilometre-long climb at 6% - category 1

Km 180.5 - Alto de los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega: 7.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.7% - category H


Final 5 km:
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
the landscape remind me the one of northern Apulia , anyway i think the breakway will win this at 90 % , Froome he was really fresh at the finish Yesterday , but everyday is different , and when you did 3540 km at letour , 3000 km in training as ruby united said , and now almost 3000 km now , you can have a really bad day
 
wheresmybrakes said:
Don't you know it's kamikaze time for Contador on the Lunada with Nibali following, before being caught on the Alisas and spat out the back. :D

Aru to win
Nibali could try something in the descent, but would he really risk throwing away his second place with an all or nothing attack?
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
Pantani_lives said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Don't you know it's kamikaze time for Contador on the Lunada with Nibali following, before being caught on the Alisas and spat out the back. :D

Aru to win
Nibali could try something in the descent, but would he really risk throwing away his second place with an all or nothing attack?
Nibali will risk his second place ,he had 9 gt podium one more , one less does not make difference
 
Really looking forward to this, even though I doubt much will happen on the GC ... Seems like an obvious stage for a second tier climber (i.e. not someone in podium contention) to get in a break or attack on the penultimate climb.

Majka must be targeting this. Adam Yates likewise. I could even see Chaves bouncing back on a final climb that suits him much better.

Amazed the Lopez is so dominant a betting favourite. A steep and irregular climb is not ideal for him at all.
 
As soon as I saw this profile three weeks ago I had a vision: Contador attacking on Lunada, followed by some other mid tier GC riders (Aru? Kruijswijk?). He then joins a big break which formed at the beginning of the stage. There are a couple of teammates, they ride their heart out in the valley while Puccio cruises the peloton for 30 km a couple of minutes behind. When his teammates are done other riders start helping Contador and they don't even know why, but they do it. When they start Alises, Contador rides away with the other GC riders, they take pulls and maintain a one minute gap on top. Moscon is pushing hard and the peloton is about 25 riders strong. It's all about Machucos. Contador drops everybody on the 47% slopes, but Sky is closing the gap. With 2 km to go Froome attacks and bridges to Contador and everybody think: that's it. But it's not. Contador has saved something for the final and sprints to victory.
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
Re:

The Barb said:
Really looking forward to this, even though I doubt much will happen on the GC ... Seems like an obvious stage for a second tier climber (i.e. not someone in podium contention) to get in a break or attack on the penultimate climb.

Majka must be targeting this. Adam Yates likewise. I could even see Chaves bouncing back on a final climb that suits him much better.

Amazed the Lopez is so dominant a betting favourite. A steep and irregular climb is not ideal for him at all.
Lopez is in monster shape so i don't be surprise if he is the best of the cg guys also in this pretty irregular climb
 
Re:

SafeBet said:
As soon as I saw this profile three weeks ago I had a vision: Contador attacking on Lunada, followed by some other mid tier GC riders (Aru? Kruijswijk?). He then joins a big break which formed at the beginning of the stage. There are a couple of teammates, they ride their heart out in the valley while Puccio cruises the peloton for 30 km a couple of minutes behind. When his teammates are done other riders start helping Contador and they don't even know why, but they do it. When they start Alises, Contador rides away with the other GC riders, they take pulls and maintain a one minute gap on top. Moscon is pushing hard and the peloton is about 25 riders strong. It's all about Machucos. Contador drops everybody on the 47% slopes, but Sky is closing the gap. With 2 km to go Froome attacks and bridges to Contador and everybody think: that's it. But it's not. Contador has saved something for the final and sprints to victory.
WAKEY! WAKEY! you've missed the bus for work. :lol:
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
in any case tonight froome will still have the red jersey i think he could lose only to the 20 stage so at least 17 days in red jersey
 
Zaka attacks at the base of los Machucos to get on podium. Contador, Aru and Chaves drop. The rest follows on Zaka's wheel. The road is very narrow. Zaka spans his elbows to avoid being overtaken, but then he hits a tree at the side of the road and everyone crashes. The road is blocked and team cars cannot give assistance to their riders. Those who were dropped earlier take their bikes on their shoulders ciclocross-style to move ahead and go on. Aru wins the sprint to Chaves. Contador gets 3rd increasing his lead in the top-10 competition. Froome gets nervous, runs up the road, begs fans for help and finally crosses the line pulling a cow pretending it is a bike..
 
The descent from Lunada is quite technical, right? Bahrain should go full gas there in order to make Froome nervous, altough i don't believe they will do something there already.
 
Jun 16, 2015
57
0
0
Re: Re:

telencefalus said:
bosfor said:
Red Rick said:
Alberto Contador will win this bike race
For once let this meme come true.
don't think he will win , he will win on angliru
I don't think he will be let go on the final climb of the race, unless all the podium positions have around 3 mins of clearance. I think his final pistol smoke is today, tomorrow or there won't be any at all.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY