• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta: the most viewed Vuelta of the last years

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Vuelta is having good results in terms of TV audiences in Spain, much more than previous years.

The participation of Alberto Contador and good riders like Frome and Purito + Steep climbs almost everyday + beautiful stages + the big fight between Contador and Purito until the end of the race.

Many casual viewers (not only cycling fans) are watching the stages too.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
As long as it doesn't turn into a 2012 Tour de France type race, I say the mountains are good. There will be another Purito, maybe not another Contador, but there will always be legit competition as long as the pedals keep spinning.

The next generation will have its champions just the same...maybe not in the same style, but us fans will choose our hero.:)

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Old School said:
As long as it doesn't turn into a 2012 Tour de France type race, I say the mountains are good. There will be another Purito, maybe not another Contador, but there will always be legit competition as long as the pedals keep spinning.

The next generation will have its champions just the same...maybe not in the same style, but us fans will choose our hero.:)

The next generation of champions won't be Spanish and won't go to the race. For the average fan the race will be a local event with riders unable to win a GT elsewhere. The average fan didn't know who was that Italian guy who won in 2010.

To all that has been said, this year 2/3 of the race has been during the holiday season. We'll see next year when it's at least 2/3 of the race in September.

With colombia being such a high country, and the cycling culture heading into their country in a big way with young and upcoming riders such as Uran, Henao and Quintana does anyone think we could see an era where road cycling is dominated by Colombians in the same way Kenya and Ethiopia have done so in long distance running ?

Red Rick said:
The stage rumoured to be unneccessary, overkill and utterly pointless proves to be the best stage in La Vuelta in the last years.:cool::cool::cool::cool:
It was the only stage not ending with a wall-like ramp... acceptable length... not many mountains before the final climb but if Unipublic wants to put more of this in the future it will still be an improvement.
But, problem is you don't always have AC drilling it.

The Hitch said:
What football was on in the 2nd week of July 2009?

No idea. I'll see if I can find that cover.

EDIT: Found it. Real Madrid was playing its first game of the season, first one with Mauricio Pellegrini as coach. Raúl was starting together with Cristiano Ronaldo and Benzema and blah blah blah...

Contador did feature on the cover though.

g0720.jpg

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I must say that cover is not what I recall having seen. Maybe is my bad memory or maybe they have several editions with different covers. I recall having seen Contador making the front page, but in a small box a the top not larger than that funny ad.

TRENDING THREADS