• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta TTT dirt road

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ILovecycling said:
Lol Sagan will destroy his ttt train :D :D

:cool:

I expect him and other strong riders with good handling skills (Canc etc) to spend 90% of the time on the front for their teams - not much room for rotating on this course!!

Wonder if anyone will ride on a normal road bike rather than a TT bike - would be safer and you're unlikely to lose much time in 7km...

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
It's just crazy! Imagine being the last team out on the course when the dirt has been "nicely" messed up.

Agreed, deciding a route which will likely create discrepancies between those starting first and those at the end is ridiculous.

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
dwyatt said:
LaFlorecita said:
armchairclimber said:
As I said in the other thread, I used to walk/run that route regularly. It's actually quite rough in places....for cycling, not running. I would hate to ride on there at full tilt with the inevitable crowds. They should have made the route along the second line of bars then back along the front amongst the Bentleys and Ice Cream eaters. :)
So the riders have to go a little slower over those sections.. case closed. Of course Mr Crookson is ready to deal with it when twitter starts complaining again.. idiot :rolleyes:

Who are you hoping will win in the absence of Alberto?
Hoping, Purito, but I know he won't win.

Do you comment on EVERY thread? Legit question.

Also, do you have a job?

Sethcapes said:
LaFlorecita said:
dwyatt said:
LaFlorecita said:
armchairclimber said:
As I said in the other thread, I used to walk/run that route regularly. It's actually quite rough in places....for cycling, not running. I would hate to ride on there at full tilt with the inevitable crowds. They should have made the route along the second line of bars then back along the front amongst the Bentleys and Ice Cream eaters. :)
So the riders have to go a little slower over those sections.. case closed. Of course Mr Crookson is ready to deal with it when twitter starts complaining again.. idiot :rolleyes:

Who are you hoping will win in the absence of Alberto?
Hoping, Purito, but I know he won't win.

Do you comment on EVERY thread? Legit question.

Also, do you have a job?
Is this a Q&A?

I think that this dangerous course is not good but I do think it is a great thing for CNF because Froome tweeted about it. Now it can become a meme and you are a "pussy" if you dont support sand courses.

The entire forum will do a 180 when the stage comes and a rider from the right european country is seriously injured on TV. Don't cry foul when your precious Landa/Aru's career (just as an example) is cut short and I am on here laughing and saying I told you so because I told you so.

The UCI appears to have responded (so many Cookson was checking this thread) and are now neutralizing the stage in advance. However, whoever gets the fastest time on the day (when times don't really count) will end up in the leader's jersey. The route was published back in January and if the reports are correct, it was checked out by the UCI weeks ago, then this appears to be a kneejerk response to rider criticism.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espaa-organisers-distance-themselves-from-decision-to-neutralise-ttt/

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
It is completely moronic. As much as i love Strade Bianchi or some of the MTF on dirt roads, as much i do think to TTT here is fraught with danger.
The route being public for 9 months is besides the point. Organizer did massively mess up here

Re:

Highlander said:
The UCI appears to have responded (so many Cookson was checking this thread) and are now neutralizing the stage in advance. However, whoever gets the fastest time on the day (when times don't really count) will end up in the leader's jersey. The route was published back in January and if the reports are correct, it was checked out by the UCI weeks ago, then this appears to be a kneejerk response to rider criticism.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espaa-organisers-distance-themselves-from-decision-to-neutralise-ttt/

Hahaha, wtf? I thought you were joking before opening that link.

That's so ridiculous, I'm at a loss for words.

KyoGrey said:
As a Spaniard, I can only apologize to cycling fans worldwide for the "idea" of Vuelta organiser Javier Guillen to design no less than a TTT in what is basically the beach of Marbella.

An idea is one thing, but the fact it was actually vetted by the UCI back in January is absolutely nutty. Even crazier is the fact that from January till now, no one had any second thoughts and said, "Hey,wait a second..."
I feel embarrassed for the riders who have to take part in this absurd procession. And although I'm glad Froome took the initiative to point out the obvious flaws of such a concept, it was disappointing to hear him give his sincere thanks to race directors for changing their minds. That statement just goes to show how little power bike racers have.

spalco said:
Highlander said:

Hahaha, wtf? I thought you were joking before opening that link.

That's so ridiculous, I'm at a loss for words.

I thought that it was ridiculous too and I wish it was only a joke. If I was in charge, I would take the time at the entrance to the beach and still have the riders finish on the sand. That way they can take it easy and still put on a show, similar to the 3k rule. I'm assuming that only the final portion is on the sand based on the pictures I saw tweeted. If that is the case, my suggestions probably make too much sense for an organization as smart as UCI.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Afrank said:
Where I'm from there is a cyclocross race with a difficult sand section called Het Meer. Vuelta should follow this races example. https://vimeo.com/49844623 :D

Exactly! Why should every single GT be decided in the boring mountains? Let's have some fun, 100k cobbled TTT anyone? Or brutal mud&sand cross stage that makes Strade/Roubaix look like a Sunday walk. Add downhill ITT and some track day, and maybe those voices saying "there's only ONE cycling" will be satisfied.

20155126_278480_670.jpg

Such a HEALTHY looking winner - if he were on the catwalk he would be told to go and eat some food.