• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi all

I am going to see Vueltas last 2 stages. Can anyone help me?

1) Where is the race going to be in Madrid? I am trying to find a hotel with a balcony out to the road, so I can se the race from there :)
2) The 2. last etape is en the mountens. Any good sugestions to where I should go on the route?

Hope you can help me - I have tryid Google so many times regarding question number 1

Nokzu

If the Madrid stage is the usual Madrid stage, it will be a little gallop from the North into the city and then 10 laps or so of a small circuit in the city that passes through Cibeles 3 times each circuit.

The circuit is go right from cibeles up Gran Via, then turn around half way and go back to Cibeles. They then turn right again on Cibeles and go down Paso del Prado to Fuente del Neptuno which is only about 400m if that, and then turn back and go back down the same road to Cibeles. They then pass through Cibeles and continue up Paseo de Recoletos, when, guess what, they turn back again and go back to Cibeles to start the circuit, again.

The finish is (surprise surprise) Cibeles, more specifically as they pass it going north from Prado.

Prado and Recoletos are big wide duel carriageways with parks in the middle, so if you want a balcony Gran Via is the best option. I think there are balconies on Gran Via, but there are definately windows since I remember people watching from windows. Its quite a cosy road so you would get a good view of the riders coming, turning around and going again. Gran Via also has the only small incline of the stage, of about 2 or 3%.
You would see them pass through 10 times or so but you wouldn't see the finish which is about 2k later.

I would say though the Madrid stage isn't that exciting. You'd get a good view I guess from the balcony though. When I went to see the Madrid stage what I enjoyed was seeing the riders from a different place every time, and even got to the finish for the last lap, and in the meantime, you get a good look at the city since it all takes place in the centre, so you may want to consider that.

Another advantage of that is after you can go see the podium, in Cibeles, (though there are a lot of people) but after that you can go to team buses and see the riders and that.

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much
I have newer been to madrid before, can you recoment a specific place on grand via (it is a long road)

Are there anywhere I can se a map over the route in madrid?

Re:

nokzu said:
Thank you very much
I have newer been to madrid before, can you recoment a specific place on grand via (it is a long road)

Are there anywhere I can se a map over the route in madrid?

Gran Via is a long road, but they only go up to Callao which is about 800 m from the start of the road on Banco de Espana. Best place would probably be nearer to Callao since you would be able to see the riders slow down for the 180 degree turn, but with only 800m to play with and Gran Via being one of the busiest and perhaps most expensive roads in Spain with loads of banks and business, its a case of where you will find something.

The other side of Gran Via could be cool too however (opposite the banco de Espana station) because from there you might be able to see Cibeles and therefore youd see the riders more often (though not the finish which is on the other side of the fountain)

The map I had when I went in 2011 seems to no longer be available but I found one from 2013

MAPA%252520VUELTA%2525202013_%252520MADRID.jpg

Looks like I was wrong about the Passo del Prado (its the only part of the course i didn't visit), they go all the way down to Atocha. There might be something available on that road maybe.

Anyway on this map the cyclists were coming from the South East, in 2015 theyll be coming from the North.
So the bit at the bottom of the map isn't the circuit, its the approach. The circuit starts at Atocha (right above where the map says "Carlos V").

Of course in 2015 they will come from the North so they will make the approach from Plaza del Colon I think.

That's assuming its the same circuit but I'm pretty sure it will be since it always was the same circuit.

Edit, didn't realize it will be at night. That will be cool. Also the womens race might make the experience better too.

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you again, that helps a lot
Do you think it is possible to find a hotel from where I can see the finish line and the place where they will get the medals?

Regards
N

Re:

nokzu said:
Thank you again, that helps a lot
Do you think it is possible to find a hotel from where I can see the finish line and the place where they will get the medals?

Regards
N
Not an expert on Madrid, but I doubt it because Cibeles is a big open place, with a fountain and big roundabout in the middle. The 3 main buildings around it are the old royal palace, the stock exchange and the central bank, so I doubt it.

I think one of the big buildings at Cibeles is the Post Office. A fine place to collect your Giro (an English joke).
There's a budget hotel on Paseo del Prado near Neptune called Coruna (with a Spanish squiggle). Don't know what it's like or whether or not it has windows overlooking the finishing straight. There is of course The Ritz on the other side... a place with serious history and prices to match.