• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WADA, AFLD, World Customs...Cleaner Tour?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The cooperation of three disparate watchdog organizations related to a big bike race hasn't happened since my time as a follower. Can substantial change come from this relationship?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Wont make any difference if I have a prescription for testosterone I can take it through customs anywhere they cant stop me.
I am only alowed enough for self but that amount is very gereouse
what I do with it after that who knows. dont have to be conected to any sporting body .

If a rider in then tour wants to buy a small supply they cant stop it unless they catch me selling it or giving it away.
Just another useless peice of paper to make WADA look good.

What they need to do is stop the doctors who are behind all the doping and masking agents it instead of running around trying to make themselves important.
You must remember it was customs who cought Willy Voiet on the border that started the drug issues He had a boot full of EPO but how many Festina riders were cought with EPO in their body.

Oldman said:
The cooperation of three disparate watchdog organizations related to a big bike race hasn't happened since my time as a follower. Can substantial change come from this relationship?

This is significant, and likely follows experience(s) from the recent Vancouver Olympics. You may recall the controversy over Customs not being allowed to share data and vice versa.

If WADA & AFLD have targets, they can pass this info along.

Of course, I don't see the UCI on your list. Will they pass along their peloton randomizer list (aka the Passport list)?

Then again, what am I thinking? The UCI won't cooperate, but this is the pro peloton we are talking about. Check them all. Especially anyone who says they eat steak.

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
This is significant, and likely follows experience(s) from the recent Vancouver Olympics. You may recall the controversy over Customs not being allowed to share data and vice versa.

If WADA & AFLD have targets, they can pass this info along.

Of course, I don't see the UCI on your list. Will they pass along their peloton randomizer list (aka the Passport list)?

Then again, what am I thinking? The UCI won't cooperate, but this is the pro peloton we are talking about. Check them all. Especially anyone who says they eat steak.

Dave.

I'm thinking the UCI is wondering about their relevancy and what happens to the Bio-passport program if riders are busted either before, during or after the Tour. That assumes the UCI are concerned about anything other than damage control at this point. As for the riders: how willing are they to smuggle PEDs into the country knowing they may be specifically targeted?

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
User or Supplier level?

I read this announcement as more targetting the supply-side, such as the larger importation of PED's from China, Egypt and other "low-cost" places of manufacture, by the persons running the distribution networks, such as the pharmacists in Andorra that were recently busted by the Guardia Civil.

The World Customs group would be far more able to act on any intelligence (pardon the contradiction...) from WADA & AFLD, plus others in this area of supply-side interdiction.

I would be very surprised to hear of Customs making any targetted (tactical) busts, this would be more the domain of the national Law Enforcement.

The overall announcement strikes me a having potential to impact a wide range of PED usage, through the sharing of information/intelligence (joining the dots, to use Clinic parlance) on a wide range of smaller and apparently (falsely) isolated incidences of doping, supply and trafficking.

TRENDING THREADS