• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Waiting for the Vuelta

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I'd suggest personal choice.

interesting article on gesink (on cn)
playing down his chances, will be pretty interesting to see what kinda form he is in. Hope he is fully fit for the vuelta (at least weeks 2 and 3 anyway)

Think he was reconning stage 4 (Venlooo-Liege) which resembled the AGR a bit.

Let's talk about the sprints, more specifically, who will be winning the flat stages?

No Cav, no Thor, but we do have Freire, Boonen, Bennati, Farrar and who else? Farrar is on his 3rd GT this year, will he pull out another win or will he be too tired?

The Vuelta gives points for all stages, so will a sprinter keep the points jersey ahead of the GC contenders and climbers?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BeachBum said:
Let's talk about the sprints, more specifically, who will be winning the flat stages?

No Cav, no Thor, but we do have Freire, Boonen, Bennati, Farrar and who else? Farrar is on his 3rd GT this year, will he pull out another win or will he be too tired?

The Vuelta gives points for all stages, so will a sprinter keep the points jersey ahead of the GC contenders and climbers?

It looks to me that Garmin just faxed in some old race roster they found on the office floor. VDV and Farrar are both slotted for Missouri (I thought?). I'd be surprised if Millar did a third grand tour. Sooo I think the actual start list will look quite different.
I like Gesink playing down his chances, I think he is going to do really well, and is just putting himself in the right mental state.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Watch the Cervelo videos on bartape, things seem a little strained in the hotel when Simon wins. Maybe I've just watched them over and over too much.

I´m with ya.

Vuelta is sadly underrated but contains a far share of classy riders preparing for the Worlds or motivated spaniards willing to give their all. Add to that very much intresting climbs and all in all a lot tougher route then the Tour minus "the Lance"-effect and you have a full race in your hands.

Given that many are preparing for the worlds, La Vuelta seldom lacks sparkle.

Bring it on baby!

Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/preliminary-vuelta-a-espana-startlist-announced

Had to laugh about this article. Why the immense bias toward everything anglo-saxon?
Naming Danielson as one of the big favourites and not even mentioning the likes of Gesink, Fuglsang (who is Saxo Banks leader, not the Schlecks, they just came to prepare for the worlds) or Rodriguez.

Also I can't see how one good result in Burgos can make Danielson a sudden favourite again. It just doesn't add up compared to the other riders here. Sorry.

Perhaps the same Anglo-Saxon attitude that made Cycle Sport in Februari 1998 dubbed Chris Boardman as the best Time-trialist ever :D

We could suspect Phil Ligget being involved too?

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
there are a good bunch of climbers, some with decent TT abilities, but no one really stands out. there was an earlier post mentioning that there are no clear favorites, but after thinking about it for a while I'm still stuck on who I'd pick.

I'd like to see A. Schleck go for it instead of using it for a training ride.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
hillytn said:
there are a good bunch of climbers, some with decent TT abilities, but no one really stands out. there was an earlier post mentioning that there are no clear favorites, but after thinking about it for a while I'm still stuck on who I'd pick.

I'd like to see A. Schleck go for it instead of using it for a training ride.

I think what that means is if Andy Schleck feels his legs, he'll go for it. There is one member kept on saying the Schlecks are riding for Fuglsang, come on, it's his first grand tour appearance, and the team will use the Schlecks to ride domestiques for him? I think what will be interesting is that this time we can expect three saxo bank riders to be there in the mountains. This trio will make next TDF very interesting.

I think if Andy retained any of his form from TDF, he could win. I dont think people take Andy seriously, if he has form, he rides very consistently.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dblueroom said:
I think what that means is if Andy Schleck feels his legs, he'll go for it. There is one member kept on saying the Schlecks are riding for Fuglsang, come on, it's his first grand tour appearance, and the team will use the Schlecks to ride domestiques for him?
That's what the team says, obviously if Fuglsang flunks and/or one of the Schlecks feel great that could change, but whoever says that Fuglsang is the captain is not making it up.

ETA: Bjarne Riis saying that Fuglsang is the captain (The phrasing is a bit wishy, washy though supporting the notion that it could change depending on what happens):

http://feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=1&id=28&id_nyhed=21347 (Danish)

A

Anonymous

Farrar looks to be in pretty good shape. He should pick up some GT stage wins after all. Gotta say that riding all three is pretty impressive, especially if he pulls off a win or two.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Farrar looks to be in pretty good shape. He should pick up some GT stage wins after all. Gotta say that riding all three is pretty impressive, especially if he pulls off a win or two.

Vande Velde, Millar, and Dean are all backing up apparently. Can't remember if Ryder Hesjedal did the Giro or not.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
-1 on the OP.
Sure there's tons of worthless threads, etc... But take a little responsibility and focus your attention on what you find interesting... ignore the rest. This TdF could be a great race.
Vuelta should be fun too.

+1

I would say that you guys should turn down the volume and just watch the race. I watched it all in french and found the race really interesting, I also got to watch a few stages in person so it made it all the more special.

Having said that, lets face it the tour is for the masses and the Giro and Vuelta are for real hard core cycling fans.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Interesting names on the Vuelta [!]... Valjavec... Cobo... Basso, Schzmyd and Kreuziger...

So many great climbers and attackers! Vinokourov, Sanchez,
Andy and Frank Schleck, Kim Kirchen, Basso, Moncoutie, Cunego, Anton, Horner...

Young guns and unknowns out to prove themselves: Daniel Martin, Xavier Tondo, Jakob Fuglsang, Rein Taaramae!

I'm going to love this! : )

May 5, 2009
Visit site
These are the more intriguing stages for me. Stages 10 and 11. I don't think they'll make much of a difference for the podium, but they look like stages for attackers.

Stage 10 looks like someone could take off on the Cat 2 with only 12k's to go and take a couple of minutes, at the very most. but probably only someone who isn't high up, maybe someone like Gilbert, Vinokourov, Ballan, or Sanchez...

10_perfil.gif

Stage 11 has a Cat 1 early and then a Cat 2 with 50k's to go. Maybe Casar, Zubeldia or Moncoutie will form a breakaway and hold off to the end.

11_perfil.gif

If it was the Tour this is the kind of stage I would expect Astarloza or Luis Leon Sanchez to fo for! : )

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
manolo said:
If it was the Tour this is the kind of stage I would expect Astarloza or Luis Leon Sanchez to fo for! : )

Some reason I don't think we'll be seeing Astraloza at the Vuelta for at least a couple of years...

But I'd back LL Sanchez to put in a showing on a stage like that.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Who cares anything about you or what you think? You are just another in a long line of fanboys who we will never hear from after 3 more weeks anyway. In fact, I would venture to say that if Contador kills it on stage 7, we wont hear from your type after this weekend.

But keep telling yourself you are special because you hero worship better than the rest.....

Sadly .... not the best way to encourage new posters and differing opinions.

Why does it always degeneraate into the above??????

The Vuelta will be good as we definately will see some action on the climbs.

Whats the steepest gradient on any given day??? And have any teams stuck with the electronic Shimano's for the Vuelta???:confused:

Barracuda said:
Sadly .... not the best way to encourage new posters and differing opinions.
You do bring up a good general point, but keep in mind TFF was making a post back on July 10th. During that time we were seeing on average 2-3 new threads started each day on Lance, and hundreds of posts on LA/Astana/Contador, etc. You may also have noticed that the person he was referring to was FrizzleFry, who merely laughed at him, and has 400 posts (probably over 100 at the time).

To add to that comment, and the "three-week poster" issue. A few people who posted on here frequently during July, have indeed vanished now that the Tour is over. Frizzle hasn't been here in two weeks, but both Bagster and DogDave have kept posting up into this past week. Perico hasn't been here since July 31st. Many others who never added to this thread, but made dozens of Lance posts, have since disappeared into the ether probably on or around July 27th.

Whats the steepest gradient on any given day???

Very good question. I believe the climb up Alto Xorret de Cati on Stage 9 has sections over 22% gradient. It's not nearly as big of a climb as the Angliru though, and "only" a category 1 climb up to 1,100m. But it tops out just 4km from the finish, and should really stir things up.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Which of the 2 Garmin climbers will be the best in this years Vuelta?
Danielson or Martin. I read that Danielson had a great tour before this.
But is Martin better than him this year, I read that he just recovered from an injury. So who do you think will be the best Garmin climber, although Danielson is the leader on paper.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Very good question. I believe the climb up Alto Xorret de Cati on Stage 9 has sections over 22% gradient. It's not nearly as big of a climb as the Angliru though, and "only" a category 1 climb up to 1,100m. But it tops out just 4km from the finish, and should really stir things up.

It's doesn't carry the nickname, "The Wall", for nothing.
Remember Fabio Roscioli, in 2000?
He hit the climb with a lead of 6 or 7 minutes and it's not a long climb.
Yet, he was caught by Eladio Jimenez, within metres of the top, having rode the final couple of kms, at a snail's pace, weaving from one side of the road, to the other.

Unfortunately, having looked, I can't find it on the "Tube".
However, these "clubbies" give an impression of what it's like:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlp_nLVaMI&feature=related