• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Waiting for the Vuelta

It's only three days into the Tour, and I'm already waiting for the Vuelta.

Yes, you read that correctly.

I'm tired of the circus. Tired of the Lance-Contador pisising contests. Tired of reading about Astana and their money. Tired of the Lance vs. Lemond and Lance doping topics hijacking every other thread. I'm tired of the three-week posters. And I'm tired of having to correct the same misinformation from people who know little about this sport. And that isn't just on this forum. It's out in the world as well.

Of the three GT's this year, the Vuelta's course interested me the most anyway. Lots of small, tough climbs, with a real hard 2nd week, and a fairly tough 3rd week. Starting in the Netherlands and heading into Germany, and Liege in Belgium is going to be cool. When in Spain the course entirely skips the Pyranees, but will travel along the scenic Mediterranean seaboard, and still will have more climbs than any of the other GT's this year, including three mountain top finishes in a row. This year looks like it's going to be one for us die-hard cycling fans. Who's with me?

Par2159850.jpg

Move along then, see you at the end of August.

Great, another seasoned veteran...who joined just a few days ago. Let me guess, you came here to talk about Lance and his chances in the Tour.

Wait, wait, now you're going to tell me that's got nothing to do with it, and you love cycling so much that you'll still be here posting when the Vuelta starts, right?

Thanks Franciep10, I knew you'd hear me.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I am with you:D
This years Vuelta will definitely be interesting. Much more so the the Tour and sadly the Giro which is my favortie race. I was really looking forward to stage 10 of this years Giro but that got neutered:mad: And with all of this Lance Armstong BS it's just maddening.

Will Astana be there at all?

This is my first year SERIOUSLY following cycling and I'm with you, the course does look more interesting. There is what, 2 or 3 total mountain top finishes on the tour?

Any chance I can find an internet feed in english?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Great, another seasoned veteran...who joined just a few days ago. Let me guess, you came here to talk about Lance and his chances in the Tour.

Wait, wait, now you're going to tell me that's got nothing to do with it, and you love cycling so much that you'll still be here posting when the Vuelta starts, right?

I'm new here, but I co-sign your statement.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Umm... I joined in May. Ventured over from a couple of other forums, so if you want to question my veteran status, ask away. Im just guessing here, but about 70% of the threads here are LA hating threads, 25% are threads about other subjects that turn into LA hating threads, 5% are threads actually about LA. So if you want to cry about LA, cry to the haters who continually post about him.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
I'm new here, but I co-sign your statement.

83 Posts, you are a veteran compared to most of the people here.....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I didn't realise Fuji weren't invited?

I was really surprised with their exclusion this year, they are a Pro Tour team and last year when they were Saunier Duval they got snubed then. I have no idea why the organisers left them out again:confused:

A

Anonymous

frizzlefry said:
Umm... I joined in May. Ventured over from a couple of other forums, so if you want to question my veteran status, ask away. Im just guessing here, but about 70% of the threads here are LA hating threads, 25% are threads about other subjects that turn into LA hating threads, 5% are threads actually about LA. So if you want to cry about LA, cry to the haters who continually post about him.

Who cares anything about you or what you think? You are just another in a long line of fanboys who we will never hear from after 3 more weeks anyway. In fact, I would venture to say that if Contador kills it on stage 7, we wont hear from your type after this weekend.

But keep telling yourself you are special because you hero worship better than the rest.....

May 13, 2009
Visit site
thoughtforfood said:
who cares anything about you or what you think? You are just another in a long line of fanboys who we will never hear from after 3 more weeks anyway. In fact, i would venture to say that if contador kills it on stage 7, we wont hear from your type after this weekend.

But keep telling yourself you are special because you hero worship better than the rest.....

lol,:D:D:D...........

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
...Yes, you read that correctly.

Understand the feeling, but I'm not going to give up on the tour because of the commentators, nor the newbie forum members. Some of them have good points.

The Giro always interested me more than the Tour. Pity that the two biggest stages were 'decapitated'. The Vuelta has, for the past ___ years (or as long as I have been paying attention to it) had more intriging routes than has the Tour. Unfortunately, the powers that be have chosen the TdF as THE ONLY BICYCLE RACE worthy of paying attention to. (another) Pity.

Alas, we are stuck with what we have, and can only filter out the drivel from the broadcasters, and ignore the ignorant three week forum members. As much a blight on cycling as these groups may be, our beloved sport can still shine through. Witness today's supposedly flat and boring stage.

Astana will be there. And when the route was unveiled, it was stated that Contador would be there to defend his title. We'll have to see if that really happens, though I think it will. I think he's gong to have a tough time though, as he's likely going to be burnt after the Tour, but he will have Jesus Hernandez, and Benjamin Noval at his side if he does go for it.

The headliners should be Sammy Sanchez, who has focused his entire season on this Vuelta, and Alejandro Valverde, providing he can race in Holland, Belgium and Germany. Ezequiel Mosquera will likely try to fly under that radar like he did last year. Juan Manuel Gárate and Joaquín Rodriguez, plus if they're not burnt from the tour, Gesink and Moncoutier should do well on this course. When we get closer, other names will rise to the top as well. I'd like to see Carlos Sastre ride it, as it would mean he rode all three GT's this year.

Cycling.tv will have it on the web for pay for $24. What's good about them is that it's both live, and on-demand so you can watch later. Good picture quality too. If you're broke (like me) keep looking at Steephill, as they are a great source for links. Same with Cyclingfans.

Here's Steephill's link to an excellent overview, including start teams. Also, take a look at this last week of the race. Stages 12, 13 and 14 are all going to be great to watch for fans and really sort things out. And Stages 19 and 20 will then sort out who's left over.

perfilg2ing.gif

I should note I'm not giving up entirely on the Tour, just trying to help create refuge from the circus around it, and lend a hand out to some of the true, year-round fans of the sport, reminding us that there is still great racing to be had beyond the Tour.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I should note I'm not giving up entirely on the Tour, just trying to help create refuge from the circus around it, and lend a hand out to some of the true, year-round fans of the sport, reminding us that there is still great racing to be had beyond the Tour.

And I thank you for that.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Great overview Alpe. Especially hard in the 12-14 stages besides the climbs, is the heat! South of Spain, August-September, means you can fry an egg on the hood of your car... As a matter of fact, stages 12-16 could cause some real havock in the peloton. I alos like the fact it starts in the Netherlands, where Boom is already preparing to beat the clock in Assen

mapa_peque_ing.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
What's the Harm?

I think the Vuelta has been, for many years, been one of the most difficult of the 3 grand tours with its heavy focus on climbing. Unfortunately, given its timing in the calendar, and the lack of coverage on tv has relegated it to the back pages.

Despite people's feelings about LA, be it positive or negative, he brings cycling to the masses and I am grateful to see cycling on tv where it might otherwise force fans to have to find a bad online stream to view our favorite sport or to seek out information on who won or what transpired during the days events.

This year the visibility has been substantially higher, and although not everyone likes the content, ie, to much focus on Armstrong, the fact that the sport is out there and on tv will only bring more fans in and make it more readilly available for years to come if people get the opportunity to see what a great sport professional cycling is.

I have never posted before as I never found it of much use, but for me the opportunity to see cycling like the Giro broadcast on Universal is a positive thing. So I see no harm in watching every race out there, regardless of the hype. Better to have coverage than not have any like the days in the late 80's where the Wide World of Sports devoted 15 minutes of their weekly show to the TDF.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
GPlataniotis said:
I have never posted before as I never found it of much use, but for me the opportunity to see cycling like the Giro broadcast on Universal is a positive thing. So I see no harm in watching every race out there, regardless of the hype. Better to have coverage than not have any like the days in the late 80's where the Wide World of Sports devoted 15 minutes of their weekly show to the TDF.

See Alpe, there is hope...;)

TRENDING THREADS