Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Romain Bardet is on a French team and shines as bright as Barguil does (even more in my opinion). Romain Sicard is not on a French team and struggles to show his real potential. Both are together with Barguil, Démare and Pinot the biggest French talents of the last ten years.

It's funny to see how people notice Barguil only now. He destroyed the French scene on every mountain last year and crowned it with the Avenir win. His great potential was obvious.

I like it that he focuses by now only on stages, not on the GC. With jokes like Horner still being around he has no chances GC-wise anyway.
Voeckler- in 04.
Bouhanni should be included too.

Wasn't the queen stage 44km?
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Takes his 1st top 10 in a GT. finishing the Vuelta in 8th on GC.

Great riding this Vuelta. :)
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
So, I remember in stage 20 the Belgian commentators said that in the first part of the stage Barguil looked like he was suffering at the back of the peloton and that he almost looked like he was crying. So they wondered what was up considering in the end he did pretty well on Ancares.

But apparently he had some pain in his knee from the day before and he was considering DNS on stage 20, but he still got 6th in the end. :eek:
http://www.teamgiantshimano.com/2014/09/warren-barguil-sixth-final-mountain-test-vuelta-espana/
 
Apr 15, 2013
954
0
0
Maaaaaaaarten said:
So, I remember in stage 20 the Belgian commentators said that in the first part of the stage Barguil looked like he was suffering at the back of the peloton and that he almost looked like he was crying. So they wondered what was up considering in the end he did pretty well on Ancares.

But apparently he had some pain in his knee from the day before and he was considering DNS on stage 20, but he still got 6th in the end. :eek:
http://www.teamgiantshimano.com/2014/09/warren-barguil-sixth-final-mountain-test-vuelta-espana/
He said on french media that basically as soon as he was really warm he could ride well, but when the rythm was slow or he was still cool, the pain in his back (he said his back in France) was really strong.
 
SlimChance said:
Will we see this guy in the TDF next year or will it be all about Kittel? Does he need to change stables?
He has his eyes set on it, and I dont see why it wont happen. This is a great opportunity for Giant to show themselves in the mountains, plus hes French, that always helps.
 
Jun 26, 2013
80
0
0
classicomano said:
He has his eyes set on it, and I dont see why it wont happen. This is a great opportunity for Giant to show themselves in the mountains, plus hes French, that always helps.
Thanks. He's a fascinating addition to the race.
 
Apr 15, 2013
954
0
0
SlimChance said:
Will we see this guy in the TDF next year or will it be all about Kittel? Does he need to change stables?
He'll ride. the way the race is drawn with lots of uphill or MTF finishes and hardly any tt suits his strengths. He was a bit green last year, having never ridden for a GC, but with a top 10 in the Vuelta under his belt, he has the experience necessary. not being on the tour last year was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but he could understand why. this year it would lead to a total breakdwon in trust and lead to sepration between the 2. No reason to do that at all.
 
Jun 26, 2013
80
0
0
veji11 said:
He'll ride. the way the race is drawn with lots of uphill or MTF finishes and hardly any tt suits his strengths. He was a bit green last year, having never ridden for a GC, but with a top 10 in the Vuelta under his belt, he has the experience necessary. not being on the tour last year was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but he could understand why. this year it would lead to a total breakdwon in trust and lead to sepration between the 2. No reason to do that at all.

I think he's the joker in the pack for a top 6 finish but not riding last year is a big negative. The lack of TT really enhances his prospects.
 
veji11 said:
He'll ride. the way the race is drawn with lots of uphill or MTF finishes and hardly any tt suits his strengths. He was a bit green last year, having never ridden for a GC, but with a top 10 in the Vuelta under his belt, he has the experience necessary. not being on the tour last year was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but he could understand why. this year it would lead to a total breakdwon in trust and lead to sepration between the 2. No reason to do that at all.
He will presumably ride, but he will be basically flying solo.
 
Zinoviev Letter said:
He will presumably ride, but he will be basically flying solo.
Dumoulin might be able to give him a hand in some easier mountain passes. Maybe Preidler, Devenyns and Frohlinger if they ride. But yeah that's below average support for a top10 rider.
I'm happy with it as long as he doesn't have to pull back breaks for Kittel.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
trevim said:
Dumoulin might be able to give him a hand in some easier mountain passes. Maybe Preidler, Devenyns and Frohlinger if they ride. But yeah that's below average support for a top10 rider.
I'm happy with it as long as he doesn't have to pull back breaks for Kittel.
Yes, but great support on the flat stages and on the cobbles. I think he should go stagehunting and/or for the polka dot jersey, a young french rider in the polka dot jersey would be a big deal.
 
Mayomaniac said:
Yes, but great support on the flat stages and on the cobbles. I think he should go stagehunting and/or for the polka dot jersey, a young french rider in the polka dot jersey would be a big deal.

I could imagine that he's just doing that once he realizes there's no bright shot at the general classification. He just did the same at the Vuelta in 2013. That said he might go to Spain with high ambitions and decent support in that case.
 
Jun 26, 2013
80
0
0
Great info lads. Thanks. I never considered the negative of chasing down breaks for Kittel but I get what you;re saying with the upside of the protection on the flat and the cobbles.
 
Jul 23, 2009
248
2
9,030
Warren Barguil

Appears to be in really top condition. Has been amongst the top guys on every stage while we have definitely not been on his "terrain". Remember he won a MTF in Vuelta 2013 at age of just 21 (from breakaway, but a breakaway consisting f ex Rigo Uran whom he beat mano a mano).

Could this be a "coming of age" tour for 23-year-old Frenchman of Giant-Alpecin? I will boldly predict Top7-finish for hm right now!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY