• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Was Andy Schleck clean? His reaction to Contador's positive will be very revealing!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Intelligent Being said:
Andy Schleck is a doper. He went from dropping practically everyone in the Tour to being groupetto fodder in the Vuelta on every hill.

If you want to be in good shape you have to train hard. Andy didn't train for the vuelta but he did for the tour. I found it refreshing to see that he is infact human.

I'm not saying that Andy is clean. I would like to think so but you never now. Innocent to proved otherwise is what I will stick to here.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
If you want to be in good shape you have to train hard. Andy didn't train for the vuelta but he did for the tour. I found it refreshing to see that he is infact human.

I'm not saying that Andy is clean. I would like to think so but you never now. Innocent to proved otherwise is what I will stick to here.

How many times have your "Innocent to proved otherwise" motto failed you in pro-cycling?

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Intelligent Being said:
How many times have your "Innocent to proved otherwise" motto failed you in pro-cycling?

Many times but I gotta stick to it otherwise there is nothing left to be cheering for here. The only one I thrust by character is not doped is Edwald Boasson Hagen and Chris Anker Sørensen. I'm from scandinavia and now riders from here best. Everyone else are innocent to proved otherwise.

About this dream of Andys: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-schleck

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
Many times but I gotta stick to it otherwise there is nothing left to be cheering for here. The only one I thrust by character is not doped is Edwald Boasson Hagen and Chris Anker Sørensen. I'm from scandinavia and now riders from here best. Everyone else are innocent to proved otherwise.

About this dream of Andys: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-schleck

How about just cheering when people get caught and banned?

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Intelligent Being said:
How about just cheering when people get caught and banned?

No because I like the sport and thust the UCI to do their job well. If you believe that they are all doped it's just a matter of finding the right methods to test them what is left of the sport then? As I said I trust the UCI so the less that get caught the clearer the sport gets, I hope. The day one of my two non-dopers get caught I will quit as a sofa-cyclist.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
offbyone said:
This might be the stupidest thread I have ever seen. We are now basing whether a rider is clean on what he tweets in response to another rider's positive test?

I'm basing it on his suspicious and "miraculous" changes in form from one week to the next.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Intelligent Being said:
I'm basing it on his suspicious and "miraculous" changes in form from one week to the next.

Wasn't there almost a month between the two races? and Andy Schleck had an injury in one of his foods in between as well + he didn't work out to hit a form top. He was and still is suposed to top in Italy. Sorry but he is human: had he done well it would have been more suspicious.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
Sorry but I prefer to stay naive and I know I am, but thats my problem:)

Because there is stupid threads like this one that needs a little addition or two. This is actually my first in the clinic I prefer other forums normally. I saw this one first on the mainboard.

Haha sorry - wrong quote.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
Wasn't there almost a month between the two races? and Andy Schleck had an injury in one of his foods in between as well + he didn't work out to hit a form top. He was and still is suposed to top in Italy. Sorry but he is human: had he done well it would have been more suspicious.

You don't go from being one of the best climbers in the world to barely following the grupetto up the hills all in the space of less than a month.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Intelligent Being said:
You don't go from being one of the best climbers in the world to barely following the grupetto up the hills all in the space of less than a month.

Unless you want to annoy Barney. :D

Actually I agree with your overall point. IMO wildly variable form is one thing if it's pretty random and the rider is often sick (TommyD?) but it seems "unlikely" that this kind of rider would be lucky with their form for every big event they want to contest.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello --

I'm the "moron" who started this thread. I've taken more than a few hits here for doing so. I spent a little time trying to find the interview with Oscar Pereiro that I found so damning at the time, but couldn't. I did find this little gem from the winter after that TdF:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2007...atens-to-leave-cycling-if-asked-for-dna_12277

~~~~~~~~~~
The rumors have been floating around for months that “Urko” — one of the infamous codenames found in the Operación Puerto dossier — could belong to Spanish rider Oscar Pereiro.

No one dared touch it except a few anonymous web sites until Il Giornale, an Italian newspaper in Milan, published a story Wednesday without naming sources linking Pereiro to bags of blood with the pseudonym found in police raids last May.

An angry Pereiro blasted the allegations Friday and said he would quit cycling if he’s forced to provide DNA samples to prove his innocence.

“I have never spoken with Eufemiano Fuentes,” Pereiro told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo. “It’s unfair that cyclists have to prove our innocence. I am ready to do anything, but if I have to use DNA to demonstrate my innocence, I will leave cycling, because it’s obvious that cycling like that isn’t worth it.”
~~~~~~~~~~

So maybe it was an interview like that convinced me of Pereiro's doping. Cycling wouldn't be worth it if you had to provide blood tests???:confused:

Andy's tweet: "I don't want to win the tour with these circumstances." is much less damning simply because the levels of drugs found are so low. Andy could mean, "I don't want to win just because Contador was caught doping" which would indicate that Andy was also doping.

Or Andy could have meant "I don't want to win because it's likely that Contador just ate some bad beef and didn't really dope." It's just not clear-cut in this instance.

And Contador's guilt is also not clear-cut. He failed both A and B tests, so from that point, he is guilty, no excuses allowed. But AC had a month to prepare his "bad beef" defense and couldn't come up with any other teammates who tested positive or any other proof that that what was happened.

Then there is the tainted blood transfusion theory. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. But I maintain that the way people react to key events is telling. Which is the point of this thread. The title is very clear. If you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

Thanks.

A blast from the past. It's crow-eating time.

ricara said:
Hello --

I'm the "moron" who started this thread. I've taken more than a few hits here for doing so. I spent a little time trying to find the interview with Oscar Pereiro that I found so damning at the time, but couldn't. I did find this little gem from the winter after that TdF:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2007...atens-to-leave-cycling-if-asked-for-dna_12277

~~~~~~~~~~
The rumors have been floating around for months that “Urko” — one of the infamous codenames found in the Operación Puerto dossier — could belong to Spanish rider Oscar Pereiro.

No one dared touch it except a few anonymous web sites until Il Giornale, an Italian newspaper in Milan, published a story Wednesday without naming sources linking Pereiro to bags of blood with the pseudonym found in police raids last May.

An angry Pereiro blasted the allegations Friday and said he would quit cycling if he’s forced to provide DNA samples to prove his innocence.

“I have never spoken with Eufemiano Fuentes,” Pereiro told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo. “It’s unfair that cyclists have to prove our innocence. I am ready to do anything, but if I have to use DNA to demonstrate my innocence, I will leave cycling, because it’s obvious that cycling like that isn’t worth it.”
~~~~~~~~~~

So maybe it was an interview like that convinced me of Pereiro's doping. Cycling wouldn't be worth it if you had to provide blood tests???:confused:

Andy's tweet: "I don't want to win the tour with these circumstances." is much less damning simply because the levels of drugs found are so low. Andy could mean, "I don't want to win just because Contador was caught doping" which would indicate that Andy was also doping.

Or Andy could have meant "I don't want to win because it's likely that Contador just ate some bad beef and didn't really dope." It's just not clear-cut in this instance.

And Contador's guilt is also not clear-cut. He failed both A and B tests, so from that point, he is guilty, no excuses allowed. But AC had a month to prepare his "bad beef" defense and couldn't come up with any other teammates who tested positive or any other proof that that what was happened.

Then there is the tainted blood transfusion theory. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. But I maintain that the way people react to key events is telling. Which is the point of this thread. The title is very clear. If you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

Thanks.

I figured there would be somebody who'd slander Pereiro!
Urko/Urco is NOT Pereiro.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That's the thing about cycling rumors: some people believe that where there's smoke, there's fire, but sometimes the smoke is just a lot of hot air.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Andy is a sportsman. Absolutely no problem with his statements about the tour. It would have been a great tour if not for Contadors positive. Contador has sullied the Tour and sullied the 2010 cycling season.

I agree with everything Eddy Merckx has said about the situation. Also I agree with McQuaid. The damage done by Landis positive, and now the Contador problem has very bad omens upon cycling. Very bad. Andy, Merckx and McQuaid are doing damage control upon competitive cycling. Contador + Floyd torpedo cycling whenever they speak.

TRENDING THREADS