• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Watching paint dry

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2012
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I'm offended !
I am a prude remember..no.. puritan!

..mods please shut this thread down...
that belongs in BoB's...

Mods, start a "Paint on Babes" thread and move it there. I love my thread and cannot bear to have it shut down.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Toluene (This chemical is most notably abused)
Xylene

But, people have known about the test for Toluene for years. The UPI tried to instituted a 50% PCT (Paintatocrit) level, but that only normalized the values and still allowed Toluene usage.

I hear there is some new HC4954HGDE740398154HGERBF that people are using, and the UPI says they can test for that now...only, it seems like they are only catching handymen who take on the odd painting job now and then.

I think keeping the paint core temperature down while stirring, better brush position, and practicing painting on the buildings in Tenerife is where most of the big painters are saying they are getting such outstanding results, but I'm suspicious.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Big Harold said:
Susan did you hear that?
Really pointless, disturbing and disgusting thread!!!!

This is my last post here!!!

This thread is so full of awesome that you can actually HEAR the posts...you're welcome!

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Well, now that we have snooker, baseball, cricket, and golf threads, I think the natural progression is to discuss another exciting sport: Watching paint dry.

My personal favorite is watching lead based paint dry, but I'm old school. I think it stems from my fond memories of peeling it and eating it. I love the way it bubbles up, and you can pierce that bubble and then start stripping it off. I kind of made a game of seeing how large of a section I could peel, but I'm getting a bit off topic.

What an interesting topic!! You see.. I have a cupboard that I want to strip from its paint and I would appreciate if you could do this for me, and eat of course if you like the peelings afterwards. If you don't like them raw, I would be glad to cook them for you.

I didn't know that someone can eat paint, but now that you said that you can, it would be nice to make good use of your rare talent. :rolleyes:

I think the most exciting time to watch paint dry is after someone paints himself into a corner, then blows hot air to hasten the drying process. Happens a lot in the Clinic, I'm told.

Scott SoCal said:
Not crazy about watching paint dry.

But grass growing.... Now there's something right there. You got your Fescue's, vs Kentucky Bluegrass. Of course there's a bunch of cheaters and their fertilizer.

Sounds like USADA vs. USDA in a “turf” war.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Modern paint has taken all the fun out if watching paint dry. With all these additives and special dry fast and no staining really leaves much to be desired as people no longer are caught off guard and get paint on them like in the good old days. No longer can you laugh at people who ignore the Wet Paint signs and proceed to touch/lean/sit on wet painted surfaces. Gone are the destroyed fancy materials due to the good old slow drying paints, then the second hand paint smears on secondary surfaces and people. Back when paint drying was more of a cost increasing sport due to people getting it on them and the cost of buying new clothes or re-painting secondary surfaces was all the rage in paint the economy was booming! Well those days are long gone, even that paint used on kids shows is super safe an no longer are kids sent to the hospital to remove paint from who knows where due to having a gallon of paint dropped on them. Then the new plastic containers, hardly put a dent on anyone's head like the good old STEEL containers did. Also gone are the paint oozing days due to those steel cans rusting out, now with those lame plastic cans the paint just peels off, totally takes the toxic side effects away from kids these days. Also, I remember when if you wanted to have a wall with that worn cracked, chipped dried up paint you had to wait for years or expose your wall to the elements, now you can buy paint that just does that for the worn look... what's next imagine a paint scheme and the wall changes color, kids these days don't know the days what getting paint out of their head from painting a ceiling is.

One good thing though, painters now with relaxed dress codes no longer have to wear white.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
We need a World series of watching paint dry, and make it a truly "global" event particularly taking the action to Qatar, Dubai, Saudia Arabia, North Korea,Bahrain, China etc etc.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
We need a World series of watching paint dry, and make it a truly "global" event particularly taking the action to Qatar, Dubai, Saudia Arabia, North Korea,Bahrain, China etc etc.

That would water it down and what do those places know about paint.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
That would water it down and what do those places know about paint.
They probably don't know anything... Yet. But are offering great conditions for the events.
The paint would dry fast there, allowing participants to take part in multiple sessions, while traditional strongholds are limiting these possibilities.
Also, the sandblasting is natural there.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
serfla said:
They probably don't know anything... Yet. But are offering great conditions for the events.
The paint would dry fast there, allowing participants to take part in multiple sessions, while traditional strongholds are limiting these possibilities.
Also, the sandblasting is natural there.

Better conditions? How about worse conditions, those places would not have the obligatory wind protection the established places have and you would end up with some pretty gnarly items stuck in the paint, anything from too much dust, bugs and random dried plant life, not to mention small animals and humans.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Better conditions? How about worse conditions, those places would not have the obligatory wind protection the established places have and you would end up with some pretty gnarly items stuck in the paint, anything from too much dust, bugs and random dried plant life, not to mention small animals and humans.
The side effects you're mentioning are negligible in comparison to speed gains we would get there.
After all, these side effects are integral part of the discipline. If you want ideal, controlled, conditions - do your paint watching indoors.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
serfla said:
The side effects you're mentioning are negligible in comparison to speed gains we would get there.
After all, these side effects are integral part of the discipline. If you want ideal, controlled, conditions - do your paint watching indoors.

Do you have any graphs and numbers to back up your claims? Links? Maybe a research paper with non-conclusive summaries?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Do you have any graphs and numbers to back up your claims? Links? Maybe a research paper with non-conclusive summaries?
No, I don't.
But anyone who has ever practiced the discipline knows how atmospheric conditions influence the result. You don't need research for that. It's obvious like the gravity.

It would have sense to split outdoor and indoor WPD, imo.

Have you, actually, ever done this or you're just trolling?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
One of the problems I have with watching paint dry lies in the question of is it indeed the paint that has dried or is it just a matter of my perception changing?

Sitting in the middle of a poorly ventilated room with freshly painted walls trying to determine if and when it will dry and if I can actually perceive the magical instant when this viscous liquid will transform itself into a solid has often led my mind to wander into new realities. Then when I regain consciousness or shake myself away from the innate and intense boredom of waiting for the instant when liquid paint transforms itself into a layer of solid coloured covering, I realize I missed it, yet again.

So as you may or may not see, I'm a bit distrustful of paint. I've come to appreciate the honesty of wallpaper instead. Yes, it is a solid and remains a solid and of course there is a bit of mystery involved in how on earth that glue dries without any direct air contact, but the nice thing about wallpaper is that it keeps that mystery tastefully hidden behind the paper covering. Every time I look at a painted wall I think it is quietly mocking everyone saying, "I was once a liquid and am now a solid, deal with that you bunch of oafs!"

TRENDING THREADS