WC National Team Selections

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
swuzzlebubble said:
In-form Nathan Haas may come in as replacement for Mick Rogers. Or Wes Sulzberger.
It's Sulzberger.


And we have the italian official 9 starting:

Vincenzo Nibali
Luca Paolini
Dario Cataldo
Oscar Gatto
Marco Marcato
Moreno Moser
Rinaldo Nocentini
Matteo Trentin
Diego Ulissi


Capecchi and Nizzolo out. Don't really get all the love for Trentin.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
SafeBet said:
It's Sulzberger.


And we have the italian official 9 starting:

Vincenzo Nibali
Luca Paolini
Dario Cataldo
Oscar Gatto
Marco Marcato
Moreno Moser
Rinaldo Nocentini
Matteo Trentin
Diego Ulissi


Capecchi and Nizzolo out. Don't really get all the love for Trentin.
Why leave Nizzolo out? :confused: Seems like a mistake.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Pippo_San said:
Definitely. I'd have swapped Trentin and Marcato for Capecchi and Nizzolo.
Really what's with this Trentin? :confused:
More talented than Nizzolo for starters. Might want to pay closer attention sometimes, he's an amazing domestique. That's what he's been doing the whole year for OPQS.
 
Nizzolo never did a race of that length - Trentin, on the other side, would have finished in the Top 10 of Milan Sanremo this year without his crash in the last corner.

And Capecchi got worse every single day in the Vuelta, I doubt he has any kind of form left.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Pippo_San said:
On what basis exactly? Because he rides for OPQS?
The palmares doesn't lie:

NIZZOLO -> http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=38022

TRENTIN -> http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=24871

Big fail.
Based on what he actually did during a race. Palmares doesn't reflect that. Why do you think Trentin made it into the Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix team? He worked his **** off in the beginning of the Ronde to make sure the big breakaway didn't get a too big lead. He would've been in the top ten of Milan-San Remo in his first edition if it wasn't for that crash in the final corner. That's impressive.
 
El Pistolero said:
Based on what he actually did during a race. Palmares doesn't reflect that. Why do you think Trentin made it into the Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix team? He worked his **** off in the beginning of the Ronde to make sure the big breakaway didn't get a too big lead. He would've been in the top ten of Milan-San Remo in his first edition if it wasn't for that crash in the final corner. That's impressive.
This is pure speculation, woulda coulda shoulda. No facts.

In any case then, let's talk about his role: Italy doesn't have to control the race to win. The only chance they have is to derail the race, to create chaos and havoc, and make other nations work. They have to put men into every breakaway, not chasing them. They need strong and fast men, and Nizzolo is one of them.

So why should Italy need Trentin?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
How is it speculation when they crashed right near the finish in the leading group? :eek:

Watch Milan-San Remo first.

They don't need fast men, as if any (pure) sprinter will survive.
 
El Pistolero said:
How is it speculation when they crashed right near the finish in the leading group? :eek:

Watch Milan-San Remo first.

They don't need fast men, as if any (pure) sprinter will survive.
Is it a way to avoid attention on the main subject, which is about the choice of Trentin? Who cares if he worked at the start of the Ronde or if he almost got a top ten in Sanremo? The effects are just pure speculation on your part.

And since when is Nizzolo a pure sprinter? I said strong and fast men, he fits and on a breakaway he can give troubles.

Back to the question: can you tell me why Italy would need Trentin?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Italy needs Ballan, Pippo, Cunego and Bettini to come out of retirement, but definitely not Nizzolo.

You think Trentin can't go in a break? And again, it's not speculation to say he would've been top ten in Milan-San Remo. He was in the group with Sagan and Degenkolb.

Your precious Nizzolo hasn't proven a thing in the classics and that's why he wasn't chosen.
 
Pippo_San said:
Guys you should think before posting trash.
He was 3rd in Hamburg FFS!
I know, he also was good in Plouay.

I must say, I thought it would be ~270k on sunday - in fact it's 261k and therefor just ~15km longer than Plouay and HEW. Anyway, those races are in no way comparable to a world championship, Milan Sanremo, in a way, is.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlueRoads Professional Road Racing 5
tobydawq Professional Road Racing 480

ASK THE COMMUNITY