• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wegelius

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Wegelius does talk about doping in Domestique. Or, rather, he explains cogently and convincingly why doping is not the subject of the book.

Frankly, I have more respect for Wegelius's position on the subject than I have for either Yate or Barry

Dont think too many have any respect for either Yates or Barry!

I dont believe Wegelius when he said it played such a small part. It may have been a small part of the daily grind of a dom, but no doubt an important one.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
lllludo said:
dirty : caught with Hematocritis >50% prior to Giro di Lombardia 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3203450.stm

He went through the UCI's 2-week monitoring process to prove that his HCT was naturally high and get an exemption to exceed the 50% rule. He details that process in his book. Each person will have to decide whether s/he believes that this is all natural, or a cover for doping.

That's one thing UCI has never really published and probably should - stats showing how many riders are granted high HCT exemptions each year.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
He went through the UCI's 2-week monitoring process to prove that his HCT was naturally high and get an exemption to exceed the 50% rule. He details that process in his book. Each person will have to decide whether s/he believes that this is all natural, or a cover for doping.

That's one thing UCI has never really published and probably should - stats showing how many riders are granted high HCT exemptions each year.

That the UCI ran the program means it is not credible. Wegelius = doper.

fmk_RoI said:
Wegelius does talk about doping in Domestique. Or, rather, he explains cogently and convincingly why doping is not the subject of the book.

Frankly, I have more respect for Wegelius's position on the subject than I have for either Sean Yates or Michael Barry.

have agree with this , charlie could have written a little more but leaving doping talk in a book to just one part is best in my view, he wanted to talk about cycling and his career not write a doping memoir then be accused of cashing in or having an agenda.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:

Ricco did that too, didn't he?

Also I'm sure I read around the time Cunego crushed all in 2004, he also did that/had a HCT over 50.

hrotha said:
Well the world doesn't revolve around Britain (nor does it revolve halfway between Britain and Finland). And at this point, finding a former doper at Garmin would hardly be a shock, would it.

I'm surprised at you. Postnationalism means moving beyond affirmative action too. Doesn't matter where wegelius is from.

As for Garmin, yes Garmin has former dopers but they are supposed to be repentant fully confessed ones.

If wegelius doped and got away with it, then hell they might as well hire ricco.

As my favourite jv critic piece said, an action is only noble if it contains a sacrifice. Dopers who's confessions are behind the scenes and carry no penalty, and don't lose any time, any money nor any reputation, and whatsmore gain it by working on the "clean team" imo haven't made any sacrifice.

Avoriaz said:
Perhaps, but there are plenty of books about drugs in the sport and aren't difficult to find. He chose not to write about it; we can choose whether or not to read about it. If a writer only writes what you want him to right you won't need to read it

Yes, the writer has a right to write what he wants, but by the same token, readers have a right to criticize. If wegelius doped to get where he was then cashed in by writing a book from a position he could only have reached through doping, then he ultimately profits from doping as well no?

The Hitch said:
If wegelius doped to get where he was then cashed in by writing a book from a position he could only have reached through doping, then he ultimately profits from doping as well no?

Good point. Many guys from his generation have a history of blood doping and hold key positions in pro cycling.
How to change cycling then ?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
That the UCI ran the program means it is not credible. Wegelius = doper.

Agree that having UCI run it is not a reassuring sign. CW's thing with them was done back before cycling joined WADA, so I guess UCI was the natural administrator for the testing. There's no telling how many guys got this special dispensation.

BYOP88 said:
Ricco did that too, didn't he?

Also I'm sure I read around the time Cunego crushed all in 2004, he also did that/had a HCT over 50.

If I'm not mistaken, Contador has one also. It would really interesting to know how many guys got this certification, and also how the process has changed since the implementation of the biopassport.

I would assume that, in an ideal clean world, among the ranks of pro athletes there would be a higher percentage of folks with high natural HCT than in the general population. But I'd also like to know how many got UCI approval, and how all that related to keeping the 50% limit. I know at one time there were folks calling for the limit to be raised, but can't remember specifics. I'd also like to know if money ever changed hands in exchange for getting approval for high HCT, or if guys were advised by doctors in how to beat the tests.

The Hitch said:
As my favourite jv critic piece said, an action is only noble if it contains a sacrifice. Dopers who's confessions are behind the scenes and carry no penalty, and don't lose any time, any money nor any reputation, and whatsmore gain it by working on the "clean team" imo haven't made any sacrifice.

That is why JV's work as a manager is far and away better than his results on a bike. He's played both sides and has a squeaky clean anti-doping message/image. Well played sir.

To be clear, I have no clue how cleans the JV squad is/isn't. None.

TRENDING THREADS