• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

weight loss regimen

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Accept being hungry

I recently rode with a friend who works in pro cycling...and got a sneaky insight to dropping the weight. Pre-breakfast rides. Yep - nothing to eat before or during rides.

Drink water with meals as it fills you up.

Get used to being hungry - no-one is skinny and lean without a bit of pain. Your body will soon get used to the hunger and you will find you can go longer without eating.

Its well worth it to be able to whizz up them climbs - the difference is worth it. Pro - cyclists also struggle with the weight and theres no magic potion this time for them. I was told about riders who eat salad salad and more salad.

i have been losing some weight lately(tho i bet i got some back during the last 2 weeks as i had exams and was studying a lot and not controlling my diet as well) and mostly i have been avoiding carbs(rice, potatos and pasta) during meals and instead eat a salad along side a nice white meat or fish i also no longer put sugar on my coffee and have been avoiding bread . it worker wonders i lost a lot of weight like this already.

the question is: for the next month i will have more time available to exercise so how much riding should i do»

Cycle Chic said:
I recently rode with a friend who works in pro cycling...and got a sneaky insight to dropping the weight. Pre-breakfast rides. Yep - nothing to eat before or during rides.

Get used to being hungry - no-one is skinny and lean without a bit of pain. Your body will soon get used to the hunger and you will find you can go longer without eating.

Its well worth it to be able to whizz up them climbs - the difference is worth it. Pro - cyclists also struggle with the weight and theres no magic potion this time for them. I was told about riders who eat salad salad and more salad.

i agree 100% . its what I've been struggling to do. But I don't ride without anything in my stomach as i bonk.

Weighing yourself

I also read recently that weighing yourself everyday was proven to keep off the extra weight. If you leave it to once a week you could be in for a shock. Just a few extra biscuits or slice of bread can soon add up to a kilo a week. And then you,re shocked at how that happened. Weigh everyday i say !

And dont think you,re alone in the weight obsession - the pro,s obsess about it too !

Get yourself the book Racing Weight for the holidays. Specific weight loss for people trying to optimize their body composition.

51Y3NnAWc7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The short of it it is, measure what you take in and put out. That means you will have to count your calories for a time. Weight loss is math: More calories out than in. The complicated part is measuring the calories out, which changes according to many factors. The second half of the book is aimed at not disrupting the "normal" calories out: Not over-dieting, when to eat a to maximize metabolism, what workouts do for your metabolism, ect.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a weakness for white bread and cheese! Not a good combo. I also work late very often and snack very late at night- again bad, bad move.

The best way I have found of losing weight when needed is to stack my plate with salad so i feel full but haven't had many calories.

I'm doing it at the moment and I'm basically a walking compost heap!

Still weight is coming down nicely and I'm feeling healthy.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

I remember Wiggins saying that was the biggest change he made to losing weight. early morning rides before eating.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Since you all seem to know quite a lot about all this, a question for you. Might be slightly offtopic, but I didn't feel like it was worth starting a new thread over. If it is wrong topic or anything, mods feel free to move this.

I've started riding more recently, and want to continue doing this. While not specifically for weight loss (177 cm and 73 kilo's isn't too high I think?), I mainly want to improve my fitness, since at the moment even when I do a run of 4 km in 20 minutes I'm completely exhausted (which is already much better than the shape I was in half a year ago). Especially since next summer I'll go with a friend on a cycling vacation in the Alps, for which I'll need a much better form than I currently have. The fact that I've only just started cycling and am still becoming comfortable on the bike rather than all-out training isn't helping either. And furthermore, my training grounds are pan-flat Netherlands and almost pan-flat England, so no serious climbs to practice on.

My problem is though that I get bored easily. I mostly want to do cycling, but just that gets boring for me. At least, I think it will, since the same happened when I started running: after a few weeks, I became bored of it and started skipping runs more and more often.

So I'll do cycling mostly, with perhaps once per week a (rather short, since I don't survive much more than 25-30 minutes even at average tempo) run. Once I'm back in the Netherlands I'll also go ice skating once every one or two weeks during the winter, plus during summer sometimes tennis or badminton with friends. And very occasionally some weight lifting and pushups when it's too cold / wet / snowy outside and I really want to stay in.

How do these sports combine? Doing running, ice skating and weight lifting would probably reduce my effectiveness in cycling right? Especially since my time is limited, and going for a run would come at the cost of a ride. What advise would you give me to be able to climb at least some mountains next summer? I'm not expecting miracles, I won't take on Telegraphe-Galibier or anything, but I would like to do some mountains.

Greenflame said:
Doing running, ice skating and weight lifting would probably reduce my effectiveness in cycling right?

We had a good thread on this a while back, not sure what it was called now. The simple answer to this question is not really, at the level you're talking about. Obviously there are different issues concerning wear and tear, but the only way you'll lose effectiveness in cycling at that level is to not do cycling.

I haven't ridden a proper road bike for years. I'm pescetarian (vegetarian + fish), I do yoga and I run. In terms of losing weight, I currently run before breakfast, which is analogous to the cycling before breakfast mentioned above, even though it's a bit dark and cold at the moment. :)

I also strongly limit my intake of saturated fat wherever possible. This value appears on the packaging of most foods and I quickly learned which foods were high in it. I never buy and I try not to eat anything with over 1g of sat fat per 100g.

Greenflame said:
Since you all seem to know quite a lot about all this, a question for you. Might be slightly offtopic, but I didn't feel like it was worth starting a new thread over. If it is wrong topic or anything, mods feel free to move this.

I've started riding more recently, and want to continue doing this. While not specifically for weight loss (177 cm and 73 kilo's isn't too high I think?), I mainly want to improve my fitness, since at the moment even when I do a run of 4 km in 20 minutes I'm completely exhausted (which is already much better than the shape I was in half a year ago). Especially since next summer I'll go with a friend on a cycling vacation in the Alps, for which I'll need a much better form than I currently have. The fact that I've only just started cycling and am still becoming comfortable on the bike rather than all-out training isn't helping either. And furthermore, my training grounds are pan-flat Netherlands and almost pan-flat England, so no serious climbs to practice on.

My problem is though that I get bored easily. I mostly want to do cycling, but just that gets boring for me. At least, I think it will, since the same happened when I started running: after a few weeks, I became bored of it and started skipping runs more and more often.

So I'll do cycling mostly, with perhaps once per week a (rather short, since I don't survive much more than 25-30 minutes even at average tempo) run. Once I'm back in the Netherlands I'll also go ice skating once every one or two weeks during the winter, plus during summer sometimes tennis or badminton with friends. And very occasionally some weight lifting and pushups when it's too cold / wet / snowy outside and I really want to stay in.

How do these sports combine? Doing running, ice skating and weight lifting would probably reduce my effectiveness in cycling right? Especially since my time is limited, and going for a run would come at the cost of a ride. What advise would you give me to be able to climb at least some mountains next summer? I'm not expecting miracles, I won't take on Telegraphe-Galibier or anything, but I would like to do some mountains.
YEP - THATS WAY OFF THREAD.
L,arriviste makes a good point on the fat issue. I was taking Almonds and Brazil nuts on my rides and soon found that just that small amount of fat had soon added up in the calories and for the first time in my life I had fat dimples on my legs and stomach...and yet I weighed the same. I stopped eating them and that fat soon disappeared.

Coffee is also a good appetite supressant - black.

I'm reading the 80-10-10 diet, and it's pretty interesting. Has anyone read it? Tried the diet?

Wish I could get my wife to read it. She thinks it's only for athletes, like Graham (author) once was. Though he insists it isn't. We watched Forks over Knives and she said she loved it, and that concept is more in line with how I could eat. But she's still stuck in the fallacy that she needs a lot of protein and must eat a complete protein at every meal, and low carb is good, as she uses the words carbs and starches interchangeably, thus hardly considers fruits or vegetables to be carbs. Basically I gained 40 pounds eating meals with her over the last several years, and she doesn't lose weight eating this way, blaming it on hormones, metabolism and other such things.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. Carry on.

Cycle Chic said:
YEP - THATS WAY OFF THREAD.
L,arriviste makes a good point on the fat issue. I was taking Almonds and Brazil nuts on my rides and soon found that just that small amount of fat had soon added up in the calories and for the first time in my life I had fat dimples on my legs and stomach...and yet I weighed the same. I stopped eating them and that fat soon disappeared.

Coffee is also a good appetite supressant - black.

Nuts are high in good fats (i.e. unsaturated fats) - which we need, of course - and fairly low in sat fats. They're only mid-table for carbs, which perhaps makes them less effective as a cycling food than starchier stuff.

I don't eat a lot of nuts but I do eat plenty of avocados, which go very well in a low sat fat milkshake because they make the whole thing taste a lot creamier than it really is. Perhaps I should post a recipe on Krebs' Cuisine Corner.

Unless you were eating a lot of nuts, I'd be surprised if that was what was making you heavier. Now a lot of coffee, on the other hand, can disrupt the metabolism, persuading the body to take up fat storage. ;)

Nutrition is something I like to study and talk about. And it's great that this thread is happening during a durianrider ban. :cool:

Fats

I WAS eating a handful every day and i suppose it just added up.

I thought coffee burned fat ?

Avocadoes - now they are just calories supreme !!

I also think sugar causes the body to retain water - hence weight gain.

I drink 500ml of water while riding and dont feel hungry...fills you up.

Recipes to fill you up but contain few calories... would be a good thread i agree. As long as we dont all become anorexic - like the Schlecks :)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Nuts are high in good fats (i.e. unsaturated fats) - which we need, of course - and fairly low in sat fats. They're only mid-table for carbs, which perhaps makes them less effective as a cycling food than starchier stuff.

I don't eat a lot of nuts but I do eat plenty of avocados, which go very well in a low sat fat milkshake because they make the whole thing taste a lot creamier than it really is. Perhaps I should post a recipe on Krebs' Cuisine Corner.

Unless you were eating a lot of nuts, I'd be surprised if that was what was making you heavier. Now a lot of coffee, on the other hand, can disrupt the metabolism, persuading the body to take up fat storage. ;)

Nutrition is something I like to study and talk about. And it's great that this thread is happening during a durianrider ban. :cool:

Perfect timing for me as come to the realization that i really need to lose a fair amount of weight and just riding is not enough. And was really not looking forward to eating 300 bananas a day.

suffering from Gout and have read that losing weight is one of the best ways to cure this (along with specific diet changes) so totally rethinking my food intake. now just need someone to start the recipe thread, and maybe times they can come round and make the recipes for me thread.

My advice is. Wake up late, eat good breakfast, go for a ride late at about twelve. Come back at about 4 o'clock. When you take a shower it will be 5 o'clock, so you will be able to eat last time at abou 5.30. You will see the results immediately.