• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Welcome to our two new mods!

So shall I now get banned if I'm quoting the late Gerrie Knetemann who once said: "Competetive cycling for WOMEN is like having vegetarians work in a slaughterhouse, things like that don't work. It's asking for trouble."

Two good reasons for a permaban, I guess. :D

Hello, thanks for the vote of confidence. I think irondan will say the same.

As I wrote to Susan in a PM, you can be sure I will be as fair and objective as I can. That means always look at both sides of the issue, and when/if needed, make a fitting decision. You (forum members) are reserved the right to place scrutiny a priori, but I also ask you for a vote of confidence. I think it's also important to say that any feuds I might have had, or lesser heated discussions, will in no way reflect themselves in my moderation. As you'd expect, anyway. That's also why new mods have their powers limited, so worry not.

So, before this starts looking like some sort of written demagogic political speech, finito!

Thanks, and feel free to respectfully attack me on the appropriate thread.

Echoes said:
So shall I now get banned if I'm quoting the late Gerrie Knetemann who once said: "Competetive cycling for WOMEN is like having vegetarians work in a slaughterhouse, things like that don't work. It's asking for trouble."

Oh we don't need new mods to ban you for that. As an old-line Women's Libber, I can take care of that myself!

Hello everyone! Thanks to all that shared their opinions and have given me the trust to use a calm, cool, and level head to moderate our forums. I think you'll see that I'm a fair and decent guy, with no hidden agenda's.

I look forward to doing my part to make this forum a clean and safe place. :)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
What irony, that the doubts I expressed above were almost immediately shown to be justified.

This is not going well. Irondan felt it necessary to edit a post (not mine) that should have simply been ignored, as it was not about to 'start' anything, nor was there anything whatsoever requiring moderation going on. Not only did he feel compelled to exercise his new power immediately, he (presumably it was he) then deleted my entirely civil comment. Part of my comment noted that it was probably not wise to have a poster as relatively new as Irondan as a mod, one who was perhaps not able to 'feel' the mood of a given interaction as well as an 'older hand'. There really was nothing in the Dumoulin topic requiring any initial action, much less deleting a civil reply without any explanation.

Re:

Amsterhammer said:
What irony, that the doubts I expressed above were almost immediately shown to be justified.

This is not going well. Irondan felt it necessary to edit a post (not mine) that should have simply been ignored, as it was not about to 'start' anything, nor was there anything whatsoever requiring moderation going on. Not only did he feel compelled to exercise his new power immediately, he (presumably it was he) then deleted my entirely civil comment. Part of my comment noted that it was probably not wise to have a poster as relatively new as Irondan as a mod, one who was perhaps not able to 'feel' the mood of a given interaction as well as an 'older hand'. There really was nothing in the Dumoulin topic requiring any initial action, much less deleting a civil reply without any explanation.

The invitation went out. You could have volunteered yourself.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:

Maybe to "succeed" as a new mod, and relatively new user Irondan should be given some friendly advice and constructive criticism from a seasoned poster? Maybe even in private?

Instead it seems like a public "I told you so"....

But you are of course free to do as you wish..

Just can't help to think that being sincerely concerned as opposed to not wishing someone to succeed is not the same thing..

I would like to congratulate our two new mods... The job you are about to take on is not easy...

I believe you will both do your utmost!
Accepting you can not make everyone happy is the only obvious advice from me for now....

Thank you for taking the time...

Re:

Amsterhammer said:

Unfortunately though, with the new system nothing can be done to recover posts. I'm still hesitant in scrolling over the post features just because of that, the irreversibility of some actions. I also think there's no way mods can see the original post, that is, unedited. Will dig a bit more.

edit: Yes, it seems it would require the installation of a certain MOD, as it's not a standard feature.

Re:

Amsterhammer said:

Your comment had nothing to do with the topic or any conversations, so I deleted it when I should have moved it to the 'Moderator' thread. My bad.

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Amsterhammer said:

Unfortunately though, with the new system nothing can be done to recover posts. I'm still hesitant in scrolling over the post features just because of that, the irreversibility of some actions. I also think there's no way mods can see the original post, that is, unedited. Will dig a bit more.
Are you saying that it is impossible to see what has been edited in posts unlike before? If that wasn't the case, the good (very) old "edited by mod" (Back in the day you could have a whole page like that in the clinic in some threads), could be done to the posts that should be deleted, but which should still be recoverable. If in doubt what I mean, you should just ask Susan, she certainly used that technique from time to time back then ;)

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
BigMac said:
Amsterhammer said:

Are you saying that it is impossible to see what has been edited in posts unlike before? If that wasn't the case, the good (very) old "edited by mod" (Back in the day you could have a whole page like that in the clinic in some threads), could be done to the posts that should be deleted, but which should still be recoverable. If in doubt what I mean, you should just ask Susan, she certainly used that technique from time to time back then ;)

I'm afraid so. If Irc we can't do it as normal members, but I thought moderators could. Without revealing much (just because I don't know if I'm allowed to), the closest there is to what you mean, I think, is a log which has listed all actions taken, but no way to see what has been edited. I.e, the good old + something and - something .

However, I did a quick search and came up with this. Which may or may not be a solution for that. If I could I'd ask the tech guys.
edit: Yes, it seems it would require the installation of a certain MOD, as it's not a standard feature.

When it comes to vote of confidence, I'm afraid it's still too much the asking for me. Last December, I'd have given it to you 200%, BigMac. But the affront, the scar is still too big. I am to blame!! For having such a big ego,being too resentful. Well I've already worked on myself to get over it and be nice to you again. But it sticks in my throat. :(

Yet I think you can do a good job, that is in my opinion, a minimal presence as mod for maximal efficiency. :)

Good luck to Irondan too.

Echoes said:
When it comes to vote of confidence, I'm afraid it's still too much the asking for me. Last December, I'd have given it to you 200%, BigMac. But the affront, the scar is still too big. I am to blame!! For having such a big ego,being too resentful. Well I've already worked on myself to get over it and be nice to you again. But it sticks in my throat. :(

Yet I think you can do a good job, that is in my opinion, a minimal presence as mod for maximal efficiency. :)

Good luck to Irondan too.

Thanks, no worries. ;)

I also think a minimal presense is the best way to go.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
As long as you don't mess with the chaos thread or BoB. things should be good.
0080.gif

Echoes said:

Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

CORVOS_00023924-016.jpg

Echoes said:

:D I missed this. Must... resist...

TRENDING THREADS