• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What a glorious day; Lance Armstrong stripped of titles

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I almost did a cartwheel this morning when I read this news. For a while there, I was wondering if the forces of corruption might be going to win after-all.

So glad to see that Lance has been taken down, finally.

Is this going to help to change the doping culture do you think? Will it have any interesting effects on cycling?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
I for One will be Overjoyed to see Less of Pharmstrong's Smug Face

now Hoping that Nike / Oakley et al will Drop Him like a 'Hot Potato'

a WONDERFUL Day!

I think his financial solvency will remain fine for-evermore, but his reputation looks to be toast. Isn't it nice that us "conspiracy theorists" have been proved right all along? I have a feeling his face will be around for a while yet. But I think it will be less smug lol. He'll probably give up his charity work now that he doesn't need it for a professional shield.

headline pic on my local newswebsite:

397790-pn-new-wide-armstrong.jpg

:D

If they do end up getting stripped, it means Ulrich will be one of the most winning tour riders ever... And that Kloden will have won the tour :eek:

First victory - 1999:
1. Lance Armstrong - USA - US Postal
2. Alex Zülle - Schweiz - Banesto
3. Fernando Escartin - Spanien - Kelme
4. Laurent Dufaux - Schweiz - Saeco
5. Ángel Casero - Spanien - Vitalicio Seguros

Second victory - 2000:
2. Jan Ullrich - Tyskland - Telekom
3. Joseba Beloki - Spanien - Festina
4. Christophe Moreau - Frankrig - Festina
5. Roberto Heras - Spanien - Kelme

Third victory - 2001:
2. Jan Ullrich - Tyskland - Telekom
3. Joseba Beloki - Spanien - ONCE
4. Andrei Kivilev - Kazakhstan - Cofidis
5. Igor González Galdeano - Spanien - ONCE

Fourth victory - 2002:
2. Joseba Beloki - Spanien - ONCE
3. Raimondas Rumsas - Litauen - Lampre
4. Santiago Botero - Colombia - Kelme
5. Igor González Galdeano - Spanien - ONCE

Fifth victory - 2003:
2. Jan Ullrich - Tyskland - Team Bianchi
3. Alexandre Vinokourov - Kazakhstan - Telekom
4. Tyler Hamilton - USA - Team CSC
5. Haimar Zubeldia - Spanien - Euskaltel

Sixt victory - 2004:
2. Andreas Klöden - Tyskland - T-Mobile
3. Ivan Basso - Italien - Team CSC
4. Jan Ullrich - Tyskland - T-Mobile
5. José Azevedo - Portugal - US Postal

Seventh victory - 2005:
1. Lance Armstrong - USA - Discovery Channel
2. Ivan Basso - Italien - Team CSC
3. Jan Ullrich - Tyskland - T-Mobile
4. Fancisco Mancebo - Spanien - Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
5. Aleandre Vinokourov - Kazakhstan - T-Mobile

By the way, i find it to be a absolute joke that they are stripping him of his titels now, im 99% sure he did cheat, but im just as sure that everyone else in top 10 did. Why replace 1 cheater with another?, where is the fair part of going only for 1 person, when most of them cheated.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
His titles have not been stripped just yet.

I wonder how they will actually do that. I thought this possibility lapses after 7 or 8 years? However, this might make guys like Bass, Beloki and Zülle retroactive TdF-champions. All of them honourable sportsmen. Not to speak about Ullrich and Klöden...

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Alpehue said:
By the way, i find it to be a absolute joke that they are stripping him of his titels now, im 99% sure he did cheat, but im just as sure that everyone else in top 10 did. Why replace 1 cheater with another?, where is the fair part of going only for 1 person, when most of them cheated.

1. You are never too big to fall.
2. Fat Pat and his croons have to be exposed to have been implicit in the cover-up and shipped out. This is crucial if we are going to have any pretence of cleaning up the sport.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
why does everyone think this is such a great day? this is a horrible day for cycling that just ups the confusion level for non-informed sports watchers, discourages new sponsors from getting involved in cycling, discourages network tv coverage of cycling, puts all winners of every race, ever, in doubt.
I don't like Lance, never been a fan, but for the life of me I can not figure out how this can be good news, not to mention the waste of tax dollars in a time of need. and all of the inaccurate headlines from bandwagon jumpers is disgusting. sad, sad day for cycling. maybe some good 'ole Spanish deal making in the Vuelta today will cheer me up...

will10 said:
1. You are never too big to fall.
2. Fat Pat and his croons have to be exposed to have been implicit in the cover-up and shipped out. This is crucial if we are going to have any pretence of cleaning up the sport.

Im not arguing against bringing the dopers to justice, im arguing against only going for 1 of them. Does it really make any replacing 1 doper with another doper? Does that really make the sport any cleaner?

I dont know if they are going to go for other riders as well, but it makes absolutely no sence if Lance is the only one they are going for. Yes it makes a example, noone is to big to go down, but i really soo no point in replacing 1 cheater with another cheater.

CobbleStoner said:
why does everyone think this is such a great day? this is a horrible day for cycling that just ups the confusion level for non-informed sports watchers, discourages new sponsors from getting involved in cycling, discourages network tv coverage of cycling, puts all winners of every race, ever, in doubt.
I don't like Lance, never been a fan, but for the life of me I can not figure out how this can be good news, not to mention the waste of tax dollars in a time of need. and all of the inaccurate headlines from bandwagon jumpers is disgusting. sad, sad day for cycling. maybe some good 'ole Spanish deal making in the Vuelta today will cheer me up...

This. It is not a day to celebrate whether you dislike Armstrong or not. Cycling is once again the big loser here and its very depressing whichever way you look at it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

Until the stable is completely cleaned out it will always smell. Start with the biggest and then the rest.

UCI next. Anti-doping to an independent.

The fans should demand that the sport be cleaned out. Moaning about the damage this has done is not to solve the problem but prolong it.

Real fans of cycling have long recognised there is a doping problem in sports.

Crying that stripping and life time banning Armstrong wont change anything palys directly intot he hands of thse int he sport now who continue this corruptness.

Catching Armstrong sends out the strongest possible message to those who dope or are thinking of doping.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
For some reason I'm really looking forward to seeing Phil Liggett's response to this. He's gonna have to hit the bottle pretty hard to cope with this.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Richeypen said:
This. It is not a day to celebrate whether you dislike Armstrong or not. Cycling is once again the big loser here and its very depressing whichever way you look at it.

This is the beginning of cleaning up the sport. That has to be positive. Letting Armstrong go means letting lots of others go.

Fans of cycling are tired of the doping. Pretending it doesn't exist is immature. Dealing with it and trying to assuage it is the right thing to do.

Chapeau USADA.

Only Cycling and those in and who follow cycling can clean it up. UCI next.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
As a spectacle professional cycling would be much better without doping. In particular mountain stages would be spectacular with the field fragmenting completely.

sars1981 said:
For some reason I'm really looking forward to seeing Phil Liggett's response to this. He's gonna have to hit the bottle pretty hard to cope with this.

No way. Liggett is a scumbag. He will parrot the Armstrong talking points. He might give lip service to the possibility that Armstrong doped, but it will be counterbalanced by spending five times as much time giving Armstrong's side of the story.

This is good news:

VN: There was reportedly a lot of evidence in the case, there was witness testimony and presumably more…do you expect any of those details to emerge?

TT: Yes, absolutely…at the right time. Obviously there are other cases that are alleged to be involved in the conspiracy. Their cases are still proceeding, so it will be in due course.

VN: So there is no impediment to USADA releasing the evidence?

TT: No, no.

I no way can this remotely be considered a bad day for cycling. This is one if it's greatest. What better way to be serious about cleaning it up as a sport than showing the world that it's most successful fraudulent individual will not win, will not get a legacy, and will forever be shamed by anyone interested in it?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
A couple of things here:

1. How can the USADA (wouldn't that be the UNITED STATES Anti Doping Agency take something away that is awarded in another country? Can France rule that Eli Manning was on steroids last year and take away the Super Bowl title?

2. Cycling WILL NEVER be cleaned up until lifetime bans are handed down for confirmed positive tests. Armstrong never tested positive, he is banned for life. Contador had 2 samples test positive, Spain cleared him. The UCI steps in and bans him for basically 6 months. Ricardo Rico tests positive, admits it and gets a 2 year ban. Then he was eligible to return.

Why doesn't cycling say "you test positive, you are banned forever ! !"

Not going to happen.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
This is the beginning of cleaning up the sport. That has to be positive. Letting Armstrong go means letting lots of others go.

Fans of cycling are tired of the doping. Pretending it doesn't exist is immature. Dealing with it and trying to assuage it is the right thing to do.

Chapeau USADA.

Only Cycling and those in and who follow cycling can clean it up. UCI next.

Agreed. I think a big step would be to make it an aggravated offence if you dont say who supplied you and helped you go about it, also if your Directeur Sportif knew. Your ban automatically goes up to 5 years. From a fans point of view the Omerta is the most frustrating thing as the ban is just an occupational hazard where in reality most only miss one season from their career.

This only has any teeth if the governing body is willing to act by excluding individuals from the sport. I personally would like to see a lot of "old school" ex riders who are now managers removed.

Going forward though there are so many people within cycling with so much dirt on each other its who will start the mudslinging first.