• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Americans Want in Their Cycling Coverage

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In Canada we leave our igloos early in the morning to catch euro races, turn on the internet and watch the sporza feed with Flemish commentary. Sometimes RAI for races in Italy. If it's a good day, there is an English audio feed available from somewhere. If it's a bad day, nothing works, we curse and go ice fishing.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
3rdWheel said:
Everytime I see these discussions I think of the old CBS (John Tesh) coverage from the 80's. That coverage started before Lemond was a serious threat to win the TdF. They put a lot of time into talking about the other great riders of that day. I know all I look for is some balance and not over the top Lance Lovefest coverage. But it's better than nothing.

There was good TDF coverage in the Indurain years too... I watched all of those. The problem has always been other races aside from the Tour. I'm actually seing more the last couple of years with Versus... just because they cover what Lance does. I don't think I ever saw a televised Giro in the US prior to Lance riding it... sad as that is.

I think the only way anything other then the Tour will become visible to mainstream US fans is if the US produces riders dominant in the other aspects... to do the same "super-hero" thing we seem to embrace.

If (for example) Taylor Phinney turns into Cancellera and won Paris-Roubaix a couple of times... then all of a sudden Versus would start showing cobbled races and start educating those watching about how great this guy from the US is for winning it.

Then if Farrar turns into Cavendish and wins MSR a couple of times... that might start inching its way into the US subconcious as well.

Then if Van Garderen or Stetina turned into a Rebellin type rider... maybe we'd start getting how cool the Ardennes classics are.

But let's face it... it's not going to happen. The chances of hitting it big with that many guys is virtually zero... and most US riders growing up are thinking they'll be the next Lemond or Armstrong and train accordingly... they aren't thinking they'll be the next Bettini, Zabel or Moser.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The letter is a troll, a rather obvious one. Right now someone is laughing that Velonews actually carried it.

That is pretty much what I thought. I couldn't imagine someone writing this without the intention of riling people up. (which was successful). Velonews posted a letter almost exactly like this back a few months back, I'm surprised they posted another.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Dear velonews

I'm sick of all the haters getting stuck into His Royal Ballness. They just dont understand all the great things he has done as they all obviously love cancer.

Lance won all his races because he is an awesome athlete and is able to pedal a little bit faster than all the other riders. I know this because Phil Ligget told me. He also told me that Lance trains everyday and other riders dont do that which is why they take drugs and cheat. Lance would never take drugs because he doesnt want to get cancer.

It also doesnt matter if Lance wins any races because he is doing it to raise awareness of cancer because cancer lovers like Siesta Boy and Greg Lemond are not yet aware enough of cancer. That much we can agree on.

Love Chris Comical.

53 x 11 said:
Dear velonews

I'm sick of all the haters getting stuck into His Royal Ballness. They just dont understand all the great things he has done as they all obviously love cancer.

Lance won all his races because he is an awesome athlete and is able to pedal a little bit faster than all the other riders. I know this because Phil Ligget told me. He also told me that Lance trains everyday and other riders dont do that which is why they take drugs and cheat. Lance would never take drugs because he doesnt want to get cancer.

It also doesnt matter if Lance wins any races because he is doing it to raise awareness of cancer because cancer lovers like Siesta Boy and Greg Lemond are not yet aware enough of cancer. That much we can agree on.

Love Chris Comical.

funniest post i've read in a while - bravo!

amp300 said:
That is pretty much what I thought. I couldn't imagine someone writing this without the intention of riling people up. (which was successful). Velonews posted a letter almost exactly like this back a few months back, I'm surprised they posted another.

it would not surprise me one iota that the letter was genuine
as they say "only in America..."

A

Anonymous

Archibald said:

Uh yea, because only in America is there childish devotion to sports figures....

A

Anonymous

Archibald said:

Uh yea, because only in America is there childish devotion to sports figures....:rolleyes:

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
There was good TDF coverage in the Indurain years too... I watched all of those. The problem has always been other races aside from the Tour. I'm actually seing more the last couple of years with Versus... just because they cover what Lance does. I don't think I ever saw a televised Giro in the US prior to Lance riding it... sad as that is.

I think the only way anything other then the Tour will become visible to mainstream US fans is if the US produces riders dominant in the other aspects... to do the same "super-hero" thing we seem to embrace.

If (for example) Taylor Phinney turns into Cancellera and won Paris-Roubaix a couple of times... then all of a sudden Versus would start showing cobbled races and start educating those watching about how great this guy from the US is for winning it.

Then if Farrar turns into Cavendish and wins MSR a couple of times... that might start inching its way into the US subconcious as well.

Then if Van Garderen or Stetina turned into a Rebellin type rider... maybe we'd start getting how cool the Ardennes classics are.

But let's face it... it's not going to happen. The chances of hitting it big with that many guys is virtually zero... and most US riders growing up are thinking they'll be the next Lemond or Armstrong and train accordingly... they aren't thinking they'll be the next Bettini, Zabel or Moser.

I wish I could disagree but I can't.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Dear velonews

Love Chris Comical.

I am so with you an the CC thing..

you forgot to add that Chris Comical is responsible for water hydration as it relates to increased cadence in cycling because Lance goes really fast doing that with water.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:

I am not so sure that is just an american thing. How is it that Brazilian and Argentine soccer players get their 'uno' names?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
another problem with VS is that lame intro and out-tro sequence and music between every commercial. That same dude who looks like Levi putting on a 40$ helmet on a bike with Rival Levers and the old Ritchey clip-less road pedals.

At least the music serves as a reminder to hit fast forward on the TIVO trigger

how about the Specialized infomercials Frankie does. "Riders go really really fast in the time trial so they need bikes like these with aero tubes and wheels and dish wheels are aerodynamic too, thats why they go fast because it is specialized" "back to you Phil"....

While VS is busy dumb-ing down the sport, Universal is dumb-ing UP so to speak IMHO
We are getting more and more coverage with Universal now. Gogo is on his game calling it like a rider. there was a sequence during the Basque last week where he was talking about difference in rear wheel dish as the Spanish TV closed in on rear wheels of TT bikes some using a whole disc and some just deep v rims and on the course (all with out a scripted docudrama out take like VS does). spontaneous cool stuff for this nerd. He also opened a discussion regarding Valverde and the intestinal fortitude it might take a rider to continue to compete at a high level under the scrutiny and uncertainty he faces. He offered no side pro or con just the facts. and all on the fly

Perhaps the Tour de Cali and Giro cross coverage between Universal and VS will add a little competition and force VS to up its game.

I will suggest that we compare and contrast the coverage together

kurtinsc said:

I dont think this is totally acurate unless you are referring to mainstram TV channels only. I lived in the US 01-02 and I remember watching the Giro on OLN in 02. That was the one where Simoni, Garzelli & Casagrande all got booted out and Hamilton/Evans cracking on the same stage with Salvodelli, who was riding for the small Alexia team coming through to win(that was an amazing stage to watch). That was definitely on OLN as well as some other major European races. I actually remember people complaining in Velonews ironically, how it was possible to see European races but yet they couldnt watch US races like Philly or San Fran.

Undoubtedly, OLN was playing on the Lance card even then but he was still not 'the greatest athlete ever' at that point with only 3 Tours to his name. The only reason I signed up to satellite TV in the US was to get OLN, kinda like the only reason I have SKY is to get Eurosport.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Indiana was where the greatest cycling film ever was filmed.

One might also say that one reason cycling has little main stream appeal is that so many of those who call themselves "cycling fans" are arrogant, judgemental, know it all, *** who think that if it weren't for all those cheaters, they would have been a highly paid professional bike racer.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
I was rolling on the floor when I stumbled across this on Velo News.

Quoting some woman from Indiana:

"Dear Velo,
I watch the Tour de France, Tour Down Under, and would watch more if they were televised.

I have followed Lance Armstrong’s career for many years. I read all the books by or about him. I want to see, hear and read all I can about him!

He is the idol of many people, especially those fighting cancer. I enjoy hearing about other teams in the races, but Lance is the one I want to know all the details, about what he is doing in the races or in every day life. I can say, I believe I am not alone. I could go on and on about reasons I follow him closely and others not so much, but I’ll stop here."

dear god, isn't this why there is euthanasia at least in our country

A

Anonymous

9000ft said:

One might also say that one reason cycling has little main stream appeal is that so many of those who call themselves "cycling fans" are arrogant, judgemental, know it all, ***s who think that if it weren't for all those cheaters, they would have been a highly paid professional bike racer.

Any psychologist will tell you that generally we hate those things we perceive in others because they are the things we most hate about ourselves. You can leave a check at the door when you leave.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Any psychologist will tell you that generally we hate those things we perceive in others because they are the things we most hate about ourselves. You can leave a check at the door when you leave.

How come this reply function doesn't have a laughing emoticon? :)

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Meh, she's probably a Sarah Palin fan too!

Being from Indiana, I can say there is a good likelihood this is true. OTOH though, if she has any kind of knowledge of cycling at all beyond hating those people riding bicycles in tight pants impeding her huge piece of iron on the road, she's a bit outside of the norm in the Hoosier state.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
another problem with VS is that lame intro and out-tro sequence and music between every commercial. That same dude who looks like Levi putting on a 40$ helmet on a bike with Rival Levers and the old Ritchey clip-less road pedals.

Don't forget Bacardi Ice commercials, followed by the same Saab commercial!

9000ft said:

One might also say that one reason cycling has little main stream appeal is that so many of those who call themselves "cycling fans" are arrogant, judgemental, know it all, *** who think that if it weren't for all those cheaters, they would have been a highly paid professional bike racer.

Maybe it's time for you to move on to another hobby in which you don't hate the community as much? Don't let the door hit you in the a$$!

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I dont think this is totally acurate unless you are referring to mainstram TV channels only. I lived in the US 01-02 and I remember watching the Giro on OLN in 02. That was the one where Simoni, Garzelli & Casagrande all got booted out and Hamilton/Evans cracking on the same stage with Salvodelli, who was riding for the small Alexia team coming through to win(that was an amazing stage to watch). That was definitely on OLN as well as some other major European races. I actually remember people complaining in Velonews ironically, how it was possible to see European races but yet they couldnt watch US races like Philly or San Fran.

Undoubtedly, OLN was playing on the Lance card even then but he was still not 'the greatest athlete ever' at that point with only 3 Tours to his name. The only reason I signed up to satellite TV in the US was to get OLN, kinda like the only reason I have SKY is to get Eurosport.

If I recall correctly you might be right in the sense that OLN did have a 1hr weekend wrap showing highlights from that weeks stages for a couple of yrs.

3rdWheel said:
If I recall correctly you might be right in the sense that OLN did have a 1hr weekend wrap showing highlights from that weeks stages for a couple of yrs.

No, they had full coverage every day, live and replayed during the day just like their TdF coverage. They had the same for the Vuelta. Then the channel changed the demographics it was targeting; they began covering bull riding for rednecks and fighting for no-necks. All the shows like High Country Climber disappeared. Finally the channel gave up any pretense of being about outdoor sports and lifestyle. It then changed its name to Versus.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
3rdWheel said:

2003. was the last year when OLN was broadcasting the Vuelta and 2004. for the Giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping we would see more team cars turn into Monster trucks, confederate flags flying from the 20 foot radio antenna's..
the motorbikes should all be Harley's some of them even could be Harley trikes( save that for the special photog's like Graeme Watson and Lance's personal photog..)
The helicopters could all be Blackhawk gunships, just to make sure the pesky Euro's dont get any ideas.
I digress... the basic premise has been outlined.
That is what the Tour of Missouri has planned. I'm sure the Tour of California will not be outshone.

TRENDING THREADS