• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What are some good bikes?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about getting back into riding. Been looking at some bikes online from Schwinn, Specialized, Trek, Bianchi. Thats what I have looked at so far, but I'm sure there are many more out there.
Would want something good for a nice comfy ride, but also if I wanted to race it could perform descent as well. Was looking around the $2k range.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Good to hear you're coming back to your senses:p

Best thing you can do is test ride as many bikes as you can, at shops, at races too, where some manufacturers usually have demo bikes to ride.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Best thing you can do is test ride as many bikes as you can, at shops, at races too, where some manufacturers usually have demo bikes to ride.

Thanks, will look into that. I'll have to take a trip to the local bike shops and check them out and hopefully get some race schedules.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Likewise - welcome back to biking. :D

Having spent time helping a couple of friends into bikes, I completely endorse RDV4ROUBAIX's comments.

I'd just add the following words of wisdom/opinion/bull**** (delete as applicable after you've read this).

Get ready to hear about as much bull**** being talked to you as you would during your average electoral campaign. The two main culprits are the:
- "if it's not in my shop it's crap" assistant - they can't see past their own brands and will run down everyone else's product. The more different it is from their stock, the worse they will tell you it is. Always ask for reasons for their opinions and watch for when they squirm or whether their reasons make sense. Still check out the other product yourself, of course.
- "16 year old know it all" assistant - not necessarily 16 and actually a strange mutation of the weight weenie type breed. If it isn't carbon, with titanium water bottle bolts, two and a half spoke deep dish wheels, and double overhead doo-hickies, it's a piece of crap. Best thing that I've ever heard from one of these types (who was trying to sell me a bike equipped as such) was that flat bars on a MTB are gay! Who'da thunk??!! Handlebars have sexual orientations! (So caress your bars a little next time you ride - 'cos bars have feelings too ...)

If you've been away from bikes for ages, you're a prime candidate for the "you absolutely need ...". While there have been improvements (and I love things like Ergo shifters on my roadie and crosser and the disc brakes on my MTB), the only things that you need on a bike are the same things that you needed when you last rode. These other things you'll get told are "essential" are nice, but just remember - the old rule about the biggest improvement that you can make to your bike is a good set of wheels still holds true, so I'd suggest that if you are comparing bikes on componentry, place most of the comparison on wheels. But again, as RDV4ROUBAIX implied - the most important thing is that you feel comfortable, safe and enjoy the ride.

Have fun - and if any of this proves any help, let us know what you end up with ...

Oh, and just remember - the best frames are alloy (and made by Cannondale), Campag makes the best groupsets and handbuilt wheels are the way to go ....;)

May 12, 2009
Visit site
In light of your screen name and your "packing heat" thread, I'd suggest you spend $1500 on something that sounds American, but is actually manufactured in China. Then take your remaining $500 and buy a nice polymer frame Smith and Wesson 9mm.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
slcbiker said:
Then take your remaining $500 and buy a nice polymer frame Smith and Wesson 9mm.

You can get a used M&P edition Sig Sauer 9mm for less than $500 with holster and extra mags at pretty much any gun shop. Much nicer gun for the money.;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
RightWingNutJob said:
Already have a Sig P226 Elite

Whoa! Beautiful piece. The wood grip that Sig uses in their Elite versions is the prettiest I've ever seen. $1200 is a bit steep for a hand gun though. At that price you're only $500 away from a brand new Ruger SR 556!!!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
RightWingNutJob,

Shoot (pun intended) me a private message so we can continue this discussion. Susan is going to get mad at us, and I don't have enough room in my moniker to add "nut job" to it. RDV4ROUBAIXNUTJOB. No way, much too long.:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
Thinking about getting back into riding. Been looking at some bikes online from Schwinn, Specialized, Trek, Bianchi. Thats what I have looked at so far, but I'm sure there are many more out there.
Would want something good for a nice comfy ride, but also if I wanted to race it could perform descent as well. Was looking around the $2k range.

Fit is key. No such thing as a bad bike these days, just bad bike shops. Look at a shop that does real bike fits, not just 'standover/ridearoundtheparkinglot-type fits. Test ride bikes, fit isn't all important on this part. You will be able to tell which bike frame 'feel' the best to you. If you buy, make sure they fit you. Make sure the test ride is fairly lengthy. All bikes feel good around the block in your street clothes. If the bike shop balks, go elsewhere. Service after the sale is important also. Refits, free adjustments, etc.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
Already have a Sig P226 Elite, Beretta 92FS for the packing heat. Maybe wan't to get something a little smaller though. lol

Ehh. Your're not true right wing nut job if you're buying weapons from one of them foreign manufacturers. Everyone knows that they are all programmed to jam when the International Communist Conspiracy invades us.

At least get a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Test ride and test ride some more

Take your time and test ride as many bikes as you can and get a feel for what is out there and what traits you like and can discern between the different brands. You can get a decent bike for 2k - just shop around. The Look 566 seems to be a decent buy (I don't own a Look myself) but might run you a little more than your budget - not much though. Also, as you ride and research bikes in your price range, look them up on r*adb*kereview.com and see what others think. Personally, I don't give a rats *** what anybody else thinks of my rigs. I buy bikes that I like, that I like to ride, that I like to look at, etc. It's gonna be your bike so make sure you like it and want to get on it and enjoy it. Also, ride some more expensive bikes and then ride bikes in your price range and see if you notice the difference. Sometimes the differences are mental and all marketing hype. Maybe look into buying a used bike. I dunno, it's a catch-22 whenever I purchase a new bike - I look forward to it but also hate it because I can't make up my freaking mind. Wish I was made of money :cool:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
biker77 said:
Cannondale CAAD9 range seems to be good value. Any bike for 2k today seems to be as good as tour bikes from 3-4 years ago.

I like Giants but I haven't ridden any of the newer models
I have heard good things about Felts & Jamis in your price range and you can get good quality from them.
save a little so you can get a nice set of handbuilt wheels, it will improve the ride as much as the bike itself(as another poster has already mentioned)
but also try different saddles, nowdays there are alot of REALLY good saddles and some shops well let you try a few different ones. Fizik is a good place to start...

nice sig, but i preferr 1911's myself, anyway...

most of it's been said already re: fit n brand n stuff, but after the sales folk have worded you up on all the nice $2k bikes and what you can get for just a little bit more, ask yourself this: "is there anything i can do on this $2k+ bike that I can't do on this $1,200-$1,500 (or less) bike?"
just get something to start with and then spend as long as you want trying anything and everything to work out what you really do want...

i picked up a giant OCR1 with full ultegra for $500 (including shoes) and that has been a treat while i look at nice Jamis, Bianchi, Tomassini, Condor, Ridley, Casati, etc, etc...

TRENDING THREADS