• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What are the wings on brake pad cartridges for?

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe the wings are for the mechanics. They make it a lot easier to work against the spring tension of the calipper whilst adjusting the brake.

Cheers,
Mad

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
They certainaly help pull the breaks into line after wheel change but i think they also help draw water away and maybe cool the pads.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
They help keep the front end of the bike down like a spoiler on a car.

(Since so many people are posting bs responses...hilarious how people just make stuff up and post it as tho it were fact.)

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:

(Since so many people are posting bs responses...hilarious how people just make stuff up and post it as tho it were fact.)

...yeah, you have to be real careful when you install these puppies...because if you put them in backwards they will lift the front of the bike right off the ground, cause you to flip over and most probably cause way serious injury...no word of a lie...

...just another public service message from the world infamous blutto foundation...we think world peace is sorta real cool...super huge donations welcome,world peace is not cheap eh!...

Cheers

blutto

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:

A good answer then 2 imaginative answers then 2 affirmations of the right answer, then your imaginative answer and another imaginative reinforcement of your answer.

See you tomorrow @ OBB if it doesn't rain.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...yeah, you have to be real careful when you install these puppies...because if you put them in backwards they will lift the front of the bike right off the ground, cause you to flip over and most probably cause way serious injury...no word of a lie...

...just another public service message from the world infamous blutto foundation...we think world peace is sorta real cool...super huge donations welcome,world peace is not cheap eh!...

Cheers

blutto

...what a forum...I never know if I should laugh, cry or applaud...

...and yes, the correct answer is wheel guide though the curmudgeon in me is forced to note the old style guides were much more effective as they actually overlapped the brake-pads...the modern versions seem more like a decorative trim item since they don't seem to extend out far enough to be the solution that would work as intended every-time ( I have unfortunately experienced a few less than perfect under race presure wheel changes with the newer style guides )...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, that explains it all, my brake pad holders have no wings so that's what is keeping me from flying off the front of the pack... time to get some wings. Also, explains why my stopping/braking performance is way off, my brake pad holders aren't as stiff to hold up to the massive demands of braking on my rides, I will have to slow down a bit. :rolleyes:

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

I won't be so tentative when putting the wheel back in next time, I'll just jam that baby in there knowing I've got the wings to guide me.

The actual answer is that they act as air guides similar to the rudder on a boat or the tail of a plane. As air hits the wheel, the circular motion of the rim, aided by turbulance created by the spokes, forces air to follow the curvature of the wheel. The air is funneled between the legs of the fork (and the rear brake bridge), flowing over the carefully shaped wings of the brake pad carriers. This increases the stability of the bike.

It is not done much anymore, but sometimes during crits or circuit races you will see the old timers use pads or carriers without wings on one side of the bike. For racing clockwise they will remove the right side wings and view versa for counter-clockwise routes. This increases the handling in turns. In fact, back in the day, both Suntour and Sakai used to offer pad carriers with extra long, specially shaped wings that were designed just for crits. Suntour's were called "Sweet Wings," and Sakai's were named "Brake Critters." Ultimately the UCI felt things were getting out of hand and made rules that restricted wing "spans" to 12mm or less.

TRENDING THREADS