• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just popped down to the local grog shop to get a selection of beers that you have recommended, including Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager, London Price, 1664, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Old Speckled Hen Ale, a couple of Chimay (but not the Triple), and I have just finished a very nice Pilsner Urquel.

Funny situation in Canada - the government owns all liquor licenses and beer is only sold through either the aptly named Beer Store or LCBO. Compare that to Australia where you can buy beer over the bar at pubs and in liquor stores in supermarkets. Oh, well. Beer is still beer.

One question no one has asked yet: is beer better in glass or cans? Glass for me.

A

Anonymous

lagartija said:
YES.............NOW THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.........

whomever said ROCHEFORT , bless you

but dont forget DELIRIUM , DUVEL , and yes a nice CHIMAY
sorry guys def a snob , the belgiums do it the best

but i do love guiness , its great
1 for the germans PIKANTUS , dunkel

and a little love for home , ESTRELLA DAMN , oscura....:D

My wife and I had the good fortune to have a private tour of the Moortgaat Brewery (where Duvel is brewed) near Antwerp, Belgium. I liked Duvel but did not love it... that is until I learned how to pour it and drink it properly. The tour at Moorgaat was by far the very best brewery tour I have ever been on. If you like beer, this is a fantastic tour.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just popped down to the local grog shop to get a selection of beers that you have recommended, including Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager, London Price, 1664, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Old Speckled Hen Ale, a couple of Chimay (but not the Triple), and I have just finished a very nice Pilsner Urquel.

Funny situation in Canada - the government owns all liquor licenses and beer is only sold through either the aptly named Beer Store or LCBO. Compare that to Australia where you can buy beer over the bar at pubs and in liquor stores in supermarkets. Oh, well. Beer is still beer.

One question no one has asked yet: is beer better in glass or cans? Glass for me.

Glass only. In fact the Belgians will not pour a beer unless they have the glassware that goes with the beer they are pouring. Each Belgian beer has it's own glass. There are over 4,000 different Belgian beers and each beer glass is unique. The whole way they do it is just very very cool. They (the Belgians) definately have turned beer drinking into an art form.

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Thanks RDV, cool site! I've not seen it before.

Most of the glassware we have is from Belgium. Our most prized glassware is from Westvleteren (my avatar) and Kwak.

kwak2.jpg

If you have a Beverages and More (BevMo) near you glassware can be ordered there. All my Chimay and New Belgium glassware is from BevMo.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
All I will say is that I love the vending machines in Japan that you can buy beer out of. Could never work in Australia (or America or anywhere else) obviously.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Most of the glassware we have is from Belgium. Our most prized glassware is from Westvleteren (my avatar) and Kwak.

kwak2.jpg

We have a 'Belgian Beer Cafe' in our city (a pretty crummy place run buy Carton&United) they do however sell kwak, it is lovely. They make you give your shoe up when you order one to stop you running off with the glass though!

For all you Coopers fans I'm currently knocking back a few Coopers Pilsners and Im not hugely impressed, and I love pilsners.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Noche Buena
This seasonal Christmas beer is available only in bottles and is generally sold only in Mexico in early December.
It used to be available in Los Angeles. It sells out quick.
Mmmmmmm Christmas beer!

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Thanks RDV, cool site! I've not seen it before.

kwak2.jpg

If you have a Beverages and More (BevMo) near you glassware can be ordered there. All my Chimay and New Belgium glassware is from BevMo.

i didnt know that , thats a good tip ............thanks:)

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
All I will say is that I love the vending machines in Japan that you can buy beer out of. Could never work in Australia (or America or anywhere else) obviously.

your right , i havent been back in a while but i loved the vending machines.................also the odd shaped cans are great , ......i also remember you can get just about anything in vending machines , its hilarious

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

i am going out for a ride right now. i'll take a picture of a beer machine on the route and post it when i get back.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
If we are going to talk about Cats, Coffee and Movies then we may as well discuss our Favorite Beer.

Duvel
Westmalle Tripel
Leffe Dubbel
Affligem Blond
Guillotine
[shame]Amstel out of a can[/shame] ;p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
OK - three down and plenty more to go. The Pilsner Urquell was good, the Chimay Triple (marketed as Strong Ale in Canada) was interesting because it almost had a smoked bacon aroma but I probably drank it too cold to fully appreciate it (4C instead of the recommended 6-8C), and lastly Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager which, for me, was the pick of the bunch so far. Thanks for the suggestion Kiwirider. Even better, you have to drink 750 ml because that's the only bottle size it comes in!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fav beeeeer

Having trained heavily in this discipline and having done so for many seasons this my preferred regime:

Racer 5 (Bear Republic) very hoppy and makes you think you're fast

Celebrator Doublebock(in the bottle) has a nice goat on it and tastes chocolatey

PBR-Pabst Blue Ribbon from the keg. A volume training aid and performance staple of Country-Alt bands worldwide.

Manny's-brewed in Seattle and available as draft only

Mack n' Jack's African Amber-world's finest brew; potent and lots of recovery calories. Sorry girls, kegs only

Anyone requiring more specific training tips please come to Seattle and request help. Fees are negotiable.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
fwiw

28bemxk.jpg

in a 50+ kilometer loop i think i counted around 10 beer machines. there were too many regular drink machines to count. i never need to worry about having too little to drink on the rides as long as i have a few coins in my pocket.

A

Anonymous

My Oh My

Just finished a Tripel Karmeliet.

Tripel_Karmeliet_TAP080311-44270.jpg

OMG, if you ever have the chance to drink one I highly recommend it.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
I am so moving to Belgium one day.

Here is one of at least 4,000 good reasons;

2449581265_b774028245.jpg

Rochefort 10 review; "Dark brown color. Great strength balanced by a complexity of flavors and firm malt backbone. The bouquet covers a wide range: port wine, leather, apricots, oak, spices - a deeply intriguing beverage."

I sincerely agree with the above. Oh, it's 11.3% ABV :D (don't drink it too cold, 55 to 58 degrees F)

A

Anonymous

Another great Belgian beer..... St Bernardus Apt 12

dsc00297-300x225.jpg

Random review; "I expected a lot out of this beer, which has earned a 100th percentile rating at RateBeer. I’ve heard many people speak highly of it as one of the finest examples of Belgian brewing, and, honestly, I’m a bit embarassed that I had yet to try it.

Out of the bottle, this beer froths up immediately, even with a gentle pour. The massive head which billows above the rim of the glass smells of bananas and has a very sweet fruity flavor. You’re going to get to know this head, as it sits on the beer for some time and you have to do a little digging to get through to the actual beer. I love the amount of fruit that comes through in this beer, balanced by a serious kick of alcohol and a caramelly sweetness. Swish it around in your mouth and the flavors open up, as well as a good amount of foam. This isn’t a bad thing as the beer feels like a cloud as it passes through your mouth.

I said I had high expectations for this beer and all it did was meet them and possibly exceed them. A difficult beer for a novice to drink, seasoned pros should also be wary, as the 11 ounce bottle definitely slowed my evening down considerably. Don’t let this one stay on the shelf any longer."

True... this is about quality, not quantity.

TRENDING THREADS