• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

A

Anonymous

If we are going to talk about Cats, Coffee and Movies then we may as well discuss our Favorite Beer. This is certain to be the best thread on this forum.:rolleyes:

As stated earlier, I took a liking to Belgian Beer and I fear I may never recover. So, for right this second, here are my top five, in order;

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Westvleteren 8
3. Rochefort 10
4. Buffalo Stout
5. Tripel Karmeliet

British author Tim Webb has written books about beer and one in particular is 100 Belgian Beers To Try Before You Die. You can get more info here http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=284138

So belly up to the bar and let us know what you are drinkin'.

A

Anonymous

Freely available in this country.. ummm

Leffe... There really is a dire shortage of decent belgian beer in the UK :/

Although there is a great pub in leicester with about 300 beers and a great menu you get to pour over..

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Cuvée Van De Keizer
1363_633804130986875000.jpg

I'm partial to very hoppy beers
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Stone Arrogant *******
Anderson Valley Hop Otten' IPA
Russian River Brewing Co. Pliny The Elder
Stone Ruination IPA
or for drinking while using power tools Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Cheers!

If drinking and driving was truely illegal bars would not be allowed to have parking lots!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
...also, if you like Lambic style, and ever find yourself in the fine state of Wisconsin, I highly recommend New Glarus Belgian Red, or Raspberry Tart. Only available in Sconie though.
L1020005.JPG

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
In my fridge right now: Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager and Creemore Premium Lager. Other Canadian favourites include Alexander Keith's IPA and their new Premium White, and especially Mill St. Brewery's Original Organic Lager.

Favourite US beer: New Belgium Fat Tire.

Favourite Belgium beer: Leffe Blonde

All-time favourite: Coopers Pale Ale (South Australian)

Screenshot2009-09-08at75037PM.png

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My all time favorite is James Boag's Premium lager (Tasmanian beer). Pretty hard to find in the US, unfortunately.

James-Boag-prod.jpg

Right now, I have a 6-pack of Anchor Steam in the fridge. I pretty much like any beer that isn't mainstream US or Australian.

Great thread by the way. Much better than the bloody "cat thread"! :p

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Good thread. I'll be trying some of everyone's favourites, so thanks for the tips. I enjoy the lighter Belgian style beers, but would rather sit back with an ale or a stout.

My international favourite is Smithwicks Ale, but my local favourite (this month) is Crannog's Red Branch Irish Ale.
24or9r9.gif

Served from a pig.
2pyti8p.jpg

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I am a Porter and Stout fan.

Some of my favourites in no particular order:
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing
Founders Breakfast Stout
Speedway Stout from Alesmith Brewing
Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing

I have a great shop near me that has a selection of 750 different beers to choose from, it's one of the first places I visit on pay-day:p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
In 1999 on a tour through the British isles we happened upon an ale in Wales that I still count in my top 5:

MikeCook-I.jpg

Same tour I drank some amazing stouts in Ireland, mostly micro brews, but easily some of the best I ever tasted...wish I remembered the names.

Here in Norway I've had to adjust to the prices of beer...which has not been easy considering they are quite high. So for me now it's two categories: Cheap beer and Good beer (notice I did not say great beer...those are reserved for very special occasions :D)

Cheap beer (which is pretty good and costs roughly $3 a can in the grocery):

2378596688_2d00e736af_m.jpg

Good beer (Friday night førspill/pre-party):

188869128_9e05cf7b3e.jpg

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Anything thats not British!

I'm a Coopers man myself. Pretty fond of their pale, sparkling and dark ales and well as Best Extra Stout.

But now I'm drinking.......

coopers-vintage-collection.jpg

I'm also very fond of a good Czech or German dark beer but they are very hard to find in Aus.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
You can probably get Amstel Gold in Australia from a specialty retailer. I've found a lot more obscure beers than that in places like King and Godfree in Carlton (inner suburb of Melbourne).

It's pretty tough to get, but Bridge Road Brewery in Beechworth, Victoria does a sensational Bavarian wheat ale, and a nice red ale as well.

I'm also a fan of James Squire Amber Ale, to pick something a little more widely available in Oz.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I've taken to drinking a lot more red wine than beer (but that would be a different thread) however I've not stopped on the beer front!

Current ones I would buy (not necessarily the best I've ever had):

Peroni Nastro Azzurro (to give it the full title)
Kronenbourg
Pilsner Urquel
Red Hook
London Pride when I can get it

I used to be a heavy beer drinker (bitter; 80/-; real ales) but just can't stomach drinking many of them these days.