• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What can make Contador lose the Giro?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What can make Contador lose the Giro?

• Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Altough i cant see it happening/working i think the other GC favourites need to attack him early and often and may even need to have an allegiance of sorts. The big problem is all the other top guys here arent just a step below but two steps below Contador. The only way i can see AC losing a GT "fairly" is to Baby Schleck under the absolute right circumstances.

El Pistolero said:
Tour de France 2007. Contador was attacking from 40km out in a stage. Only brought back because of a flat tire.

Ofcourse your right he's capable of that. But his big strength is his initial explosion.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Highlander said:
I think that the rest of the peloton's only chance is if Contador gets bored and decides to jet over to California to win the only GT that he is lacking. Now that it has been postponed by at least one day, who knows:D

Cali isnt a GT... Hes won all the GTs

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Bad day, like he had in Paris Nice a few years ago.
If Luis Leon can beat him on a smaller race, I think Nibali and Scarponi cold on a little bit bigger one.

hrotha said:
I still think Contador might not be superior in long-distance attacks. Problem is, everybody is so scared of him very few people have tried that tactic. The way he rides, when he attacks he takes advantage of his unmatched explosiveness to accelerate and create a gap early on, then maintains it more or less till the finish. One on one, on the last climb of the day, only the best Candy has proved he can match him. Contador might also be superior in long-range, endurance duels, hell, he probably is, but it's the card Scarponi and Nibali have to play.

That said, Jesús Hernandez's performance on the Etna is not good news for anybody outside of Saxo

He did put an excellent ride didn't he?

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
meat-steak.jpg

No this will not work. He only eats meat from his relatives in Extremadura. they have a small farm there.
I only think of illness or a heavy crash. -- Does anyone want this?
The CAS is rather unlikely. His arbitrators are no hardliners. I did some research. :p

Nicoper said:
Bad day, like he had in Paris Nice a few years ago.
If Luis Leon can beat him on a smaller race, I think Nibali and Scarponi cold on a little bit bigger one.

That's the only time that has happened in a stage race for Contador. Considering the drama that resulted I doubt it'll ever happen again.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
The only sporting threat to AC is if all the main contenders were to ride aggressively and not settle on riding for second place. There are only so many attacks he and his team can cover. There need to be more attacks and they need to happen early in the stage. Basically we need Pantani back! :D

rolfrae said:
The only sporting threat to AC is if all the main contenders were to ride aggressively and not settle on riding for second place. There are only so many attacks he and his team can cover. There need to be more attacks and they need to happen early in the stage. Basically we need Pantani back! :D

Only problem is that no one will be willing to be sacrificial lamb 1, 2, or 3. All the favorites will want to hold out to be the fourth attacker--the one who stays away and wins.

So he'll attack again, and they'll all look at Nibali, who'll eventually be the main chaser. But it'll be too late, Contador will gain more time, and Nibali will take third or fourth on the day to some hangers on.

Still, watching Contador attack in the mountains is magic. And he's (almost) never afraid to do it whenever he gets the chance. (Trackstands with A. Schleck aside.) He main take minutes on every mountain top finish this year, but no one can argue that they aren't earned.

mr. tibbs said:
Only problem is that no one will be willing to be sacrificial lamb 1, 2, or 3. All the favorites will want to hold out to be the fourth attacker--the one who stays away and wins.

So he'll attack again, and they'll all look at Nibali, who'll eventually be the main chaser. But it'll be too late, Contador will gain more time, and Nibali will take third or fourth on the day to some hangers on.

Still, watching Contador attack in the mountains is magic. And he's (almost) never afraid to do it whenever he gets the chance. (Trackstands with A. Schleck aside.) He main take minutes on every mountain top finish this year, but no one can argue that they aren't earned.

I feel abit for Nibali in this regard, He will most likely know he cant go with Albie but will feel obligied too because the fans and other riders see him as the number 2 guy.

rolfrae said:
The same thing was said in the Armstrong Tours. I always waited for the massive attacks from other riders from far away and in the last climb and they never came. The other factor is having a strong team. If Contador has a strong team in the mountains, just like Armstrong had, then multiple attacks might not mean much if they are neutralized immediately.

Midnightfright said:
I feel abit for Nibali in this regard, He will most likely know he cant go with Albie but will feel obligied too because the fans and other riders see him as the number 2 guy.

Nibali saw what happened to Scarponi and remembers his error earlier in the 2010 Vuelta where he tried to match the accelerations of Anton and Mosquera that put him into the red. He adapted as a smart rider does and faced that he isn't that type of rider with that type of explosiveness. He knows he's better served trying reel them at his own tempo once their initial
speed decreases. Scarponi has never faced Contador in a grand tour so I'm guessing had to bear witness/be shown for himself personally what he was dealing with. I doubt his spirit is broken though. He'll try again but he'll be smarter and choose terrain that is more to his advantage and he'd be better served initiating the aggression instead of trying to respond to it.

Angliru said:
Nibali saw what happened to Scarponi and remembers his error earlier in the 2010 Vuelta where he tried to match the accelerations of Anton and Mosquera that put him into the red. He adapted as a smart rider does and faced that he isn't that type of rider with that type of explosiveness. He knows he's better served trying reel them at his own tempo once their initial
speed decreases. Scarponi has never faced Contador in a grand tour so I'm guessing had to bear witness/be shown for himself personally what he was dealing with. I doubt his spirit is broken though. He'll try again but he'll be smarter and choose terrain that is more to his advantage and he'd be better served initiating the aggression instead of trying to respond to it.

I hope your right, i do feel he will be the next top GC rider and does already seem to be more composed than the other favourites and think if he rides within his limits he will get 2nd place fairly comftably ie by a minute or so. I agree with what your saying and i actually feel AS is the same but there is no denying he's the 2nd best climber around.

i am a big fan of nibbles. much like contador he races all season long and thats great. he also looks like a very smart guy, the way he completely changed his racing strategy during the vuelta really impressed me. not many riders are capable of that. he also doesn't seem to panic during a race and thats good in case you are suffering or in case you are a diesel and can't match the other guys accelerations (like in his case)

also don't diesel guys usually reach their prime as climbers a bit later then more explosive guys like contador?

Parrulo said:
i am a big fan of nibbles. much like contador he races all season long and thats great. he also looks like a very smart guy, the way he completely changed his racing strategy during the vuelta really impressed me. not many riders are capable of that. he also doesn't seem to panic during a race and thats good in case you are suffering or in case you are a diesel and can't match the other guys accelerations (like in his case)

Thats exactly what made him grow on me

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
after some work thinking in the right thing to say, I believe that the answer to this thread is:

machado.

yeah b1tches... live in fear!! he will punch contador just because of his breath! then conti loses... easy.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Thats exactly what made him grow on me

excuse me mister,

how is nibali going to be the next big thing if conti is 28 (the end.) and if he is banned, well, andy is 26. also the dutchi is also young, just like machado and vino will just stop at 93 years old.

c&cfan said:
excuse me mister,

how is nibali going to be the next big thing if conti is 28 (the end.) and if he is banned, well, andy is 26. also the dutchi is also young, just like machado and vino will just stop at 93 years old.

nibali is 26 aswell. . . . . and no1 is saying he will be the next big thing. but already is and will be for the next years one of the top contenders for GT's.

also so far machado hasn't proved anything in terms of GT's, so putting him on the same list as gesink, nibali and schleck is just blind fanboyism.

and correct me if i am wrong here, isn't nibali the only active rider under 30(besides contador) that has won a GT?

c&cfan said:
excuse me mister,

Maybe next big thing put it wrongly. Maybe nxt major Tour contender would be more appropriate. AC is obviously the end goal and im already counting Schleck as already there. I guess what im trying to say is that he will be the number 3 GC guy and hopefully he can close they gap on the top 2 guys.

TRENDING THREADS