• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What can Sagan achieve in RIO in MTB race?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What can Sagan achieve in OG MTB race?

• He should race the OG RR

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • DNF

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • TOP 20

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • TOP 10

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • TOP 5

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • podium

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • winner

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
Oh dear; won't be buying a Specialized MTB any time soon.

Didn't he just have flat tires?

1. Specialized bikes use other brands' tires.

2. Tires are cheap and easy to replace.

3. Second placed rider, Jaroslav Kulhavý, rides Specialized.

Their imagine is untarnished.
No they don't. At least the one's you buy in the shops use Specialized's own tires. If pros don't use them, then it says a lot about how good they are I guess.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
Thepirateisgood said:
Yep agree 100% SK, I see you are Sagan fan, but this is slaughter totally. He distance the former OG champ like is amateur.

Whoever says Sagan is 3x the athlete, should check themselves before they wreck themself.

(I like Sagan, cause he attacks, but stay on the road)
I am afraid he won't stay in road very long. He will go back to MTB. After this contract he will be rich enough to do that.
From his interwiews I have a feeling that road race is far from his main interest.

Good, I would love him going to MB or CX. But pretty sure he wants some more monuments before.
He lieks to have fun, I like that (if it's reasonable, don't hurt any1)

PS, no Sagan fan myself - I like all riders who does something rather than nothing - so he's on that list.

DFA123 said:
BigMac said:
DFA123 said:

No they don't. At least the one's you buy in the shops use Specialized's own tires. If pros don't use them, then it says a lot about how good they are I guess.

Yes, I was talking about riders. I'm yet to see a MTB'r use Fast Trak tires, unless I'm overlooking it.

The point is, would you not buy a Specialized Epic because of the tires they come with? That doesn't make any sense.

BigMac said:
DFA123 said:
BigMac said:
DFA123 said:

Yes, I was talking about riders. I'm yet to see a MTB'r use Fast Trak tires, unless I'm overlooking it.

The point is, would you not buy a Specialized Epic because of the tires they come with? That doesn't make any sense.
I wouldn't buy one for other reasons - namely that a company that spends so much on marketing and promoting its brand can't possibly be offering value for money to the consumer. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sagan was on Fast Trak tyres at one point - maybe that was the time he crashed on the same bike in Austria.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Thepirateisgood said:
?

Froome came from MTB too you know, not any results as such - but it's always strange to me he was judged like bad bike handler. Porte, Kruis, Garden, Kristoff would be fun to see. Shouldn't there be a "greatest bike racer" race, like they have in motorsports (Can't remember the name, but they compete F1, Rally, RX drivers. Think poor Schumacher won a couple, Mäkinen some and so on..)

Then, finally we could speak about "the complete cyclist"
Isn't that what cyclocross is? Basically a hybrid of road and mtb.

Sure it can look like that, but CX is more like road than MB, because of the equipment I guess.

I was thinking a weekend of road, CX, MB and Downhill MB.

"Race of champions" was what I was thinking in motorsports. Great challenge, and fun!

Edit: And BMX, thinnk Froome on a BMX

It was an interview for Slovak tv few minutes ago. He said he had had first flat few meters behind depo, and second one again behind the depo. He was asked if bar the mechanicals he could stay with best he answered sicerely that with the best he could not but the result would not have been bad.
He looked realy disapointed and really pissed he had to ride road in one weej again.

Thepirateisgood said:
DFA123 said:
Thepirateisgood said:
?

Froome came from MTB too you know, not any results as such - but it's always strange to me he was judged like bad bike handler. Porte, Kruis, Garden, Kristoff would be fun to see. Shouldn't there be a "greatest bike racer" race, like they have in motorsports (Can't remember the name, but they compete F1, Rally, RX drivers. Think poor Schumacher won a couple, Mäkinen some and so on..)

Then, finally we could speak about "the complete cyclist"
Isn't that what cyclocross is? Basically a hybrid of road and mtb.

Sure it can look like that, but CX is more like road than MB, because of the equipment I guess.

I was thinking a weekend of road, CX, MB and Downhill MB.

"Race of champions" was what I was thinking in motorsports. Great challenge, and fun!

Edit: And BMX, thinnk Froome on a BMX
:lol: I'm in!

Road is kind of the odd one out though because of the team dynamic. Might be quite difficult to work that in somehow. Maybe could be a time trial - but that wouldn't really capture the magic of road racing and all the tactics involved.

DFA123 said:
Isaak-Gabriel said:
Sagan doesn't ride on Specialized tires, the bike still very good. It's just a bad day.
Do you have a source for that? And if not, why doesn't he; does he think they are rubbish?
Tinkoff team doesn't have Specialized tires brand so it would be pretty strange if Sagan rides on other tires brand - or maybe he has a private contract. He's got 3 punctures I think, consequently the problem isn't the Specialized bike.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, that is why I love RR - cause of the dynamics - the stories, tactics, innuendo, written/unwritten rules and so on.
And the crazy amount of Km of cycling.

For a show and sport in itself, more measurable if you like - MB, CX, BMX is just .. better.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
Thepirateisgood said:
Yep agree 100% SK, I see you are Sagan fan, but this is slaughter totally. He distance the former OG champ like is amateur.

Whoever says Sagan is 3x the athlete, should check themselves before they wreck themself.

(I like Sagan, cause he attacks, but stay on the road)
I am afraid he won't stay in road very long. He will go back to MTB. After this contract he will be rich enough to do that.
From his interwiews I have a feeling that road race is far from his main interest.
No he will not.More money he can get in RR and because he loves money he will stay in RR.Maybe in future some sponzors MTB races that's all.
Today he could blame bike for not better result .He did some promo for specialized(company mtb section)and now back to every day business.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Isaak-Gabriel said:
DFA123 said:
Isaak-Gabriel said:
Sagan doesn't ride on Specialized tires, the bike still very good. It's just a bad day.
Do you have a source for that? And if not, why doesn't he; does he think they are rubbish?
Tinkoff team doesn't have Specialized tires brand so it would be pretty strange if Sagan rides on other tires brand - or maybe he has a private contract. He's got 3 punctures I think, consequently the problem isn't the Specialized bike.
Problems wasn't with tires but with Sagan's mtb skill.

El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
It once again proves that road cycling is the queen of cycling though.
Disagree, many make have gone from being successful on mtb to successful on road than vice versa. And mtb is much, much more fun. If this had been a technical course then you would've seen how good these riders are.

I wish mountain-bike was more popular though, especially in Belgium. In the land of cycling no one actually cares about mountain-biking or track cycling here.

MTB is a just too long. One hour of entertainment like in cx is perfect for the viewers. Make it longer and it becomes boring. That's why they already shortened mtb but it's not enough to be a really interesting sport to watch.

Why else does the vast majority of cyclists in Belgium ride a mtb rather than a cx bike, yet everyone watches cx...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Flamin said:
El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
Disagree, many make have gone from being successful on mtb to successful on road than vice versa. And mtb is much, much more fun. If this had been a technical course then you would've seen how good these riders are.

I wish mountain-bike was more popular though, especially in Belgium. In the land of cycling no one actually cares about mountain-biking or track cycling here.

MTB is a just too long. One hour of entertainment like in cx is perfect for the viewers. Make it longer and it becomes boring. That's why they already shortened mtb but it's not enough to be a really interesting sport to watch.

Why else does the vast majority of cyclists in Belgium ride a mtb rather than a cx bike, yet everyone watches cx...
I kinda get your point, even for me it's a bit too long for a race on a circuit, I prefer Cyclo-cross when it comes to circuits and when it comes to MTB I've always been more of a Marathon guy.
You can make more money in CC and the audience at the events is way larger, but I wouldn't underestimate the talent pool in MTB, even the Marathon scene is filled with crazy strong guys who really could do well on the road (Lakata for example has a FTP of 420W and could loose a few kg of upper body mass).
Back to Sagan, it was still a really impressive effort, without the mechanicals he could have fought for a top 10 spot if everything when right.

El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:

That's because the real prestige lies on the road. Why would a successful road cyclist go to mountain-bike all of a sudden? It wouldn't make much sense. There's more money and prestige to be earned on the road.

Btw, while Cav can only get a silver "in an event that was won by a 20-year-old at the last Olympics... One who has had 3 poor seasons on the road so far", Sagan wasn't even capable of a medal even without a puncture in a discipline where noone is able to get a pro contract on the road in the first place :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:

That's because the real prestige lies on the road. Why would a successful road cyclist go to mountain-bike all of a sudden? It wouldn't make much sense. There's more money and prestige to be earned on the road.

Btw, while Cav can only get a silver "in an event that was won by a 20-year-old at the last Olympics... One who has had 3 poor seasons on the road so far", Sagan wasn't even capable of a medal even without a puncture in a discipline where noone is able to get a pro contract on the road in the first place :rolleyes:

Mountain-biking has a much higher level than track cycling. It's also completely different to road cycling, unlike track cycling. And Cav should have been disqualified, so his silver is meaningless.

KGB said:
Isaak-Gabriel said:
DFA123 said:
Isaak-Gabriel said:
Problems wasn't with tires but with Sagan's mtb skill.
true dat

Re:

TomLPC said:
Great to see Santiago botero reinventing himself as a mountain biker
I get that you're joking, however:
- Santiago Botero started in MTB (clásico El Colombiano), then track, then road.
- The Colombian is Johnatan Botero and started from 4th row. (7 out of 8 front-row starters finished in the top10, the other two, started in row 2).

slosada said:
TomLPC said:
Great to see Santiago botero reinventing himself as a mountain biker
I get that you're joking, however:
- Santiago Botero started in MTB (clásico El Colombiano), then track, then road.
- The Colombian is Johnatan Botero and started from 4th row. (7 out of 8 front-row starters finished in the top10, the other two, started in row 2).

The Colombian Botereo had a nice ride. It would be awesome to see him go to WT racing, no doubt he has the right stuff.

burning said:
MacBAir said:
burning said:
It was probably his fault to have that puncture but he looked really impressive for 15 mins
How the f*** can you say this? It could be his fault, but probably?

To quote Roger de Vlaeminck:

When you’re really fit, you rarely get a flat tyre because you’re more lucid. I had a puncture once, in 1970, and then never again in 10 years. The other secret is confidence. I often started with the idea that I was going to win. I missed my chance once or twice but no more than that.

It is very likely that the puncture is caused by his mistake, I doubt that Schurter will have any punctures in this race.

Way too pull a quote out of context. That quote is about Paris-Roubaix only. Ofcourse De Vlaeminck had much flat tires in his career.

PremierAndrew said:
wat. Only this year 3 kids from my town (Egan Bernal, Brandon Rivera and Wilson Peña) made the step from MTB to road.

TRENDING THREADS