• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What defunct race(s) would you like to see run again?

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Not worrying too much (or at all) about how they'd fit into the calendar, what race or races would you like to see make a comeback?

I'll start things off with the Grand-Prix du Midi-Libre.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mammoth Stage Race in CA
It was such a great race, just a few stages but lots of climbing, great crowds.
The first stage when i did it was called altitude 9000 i cant remember if that was the total elevation gain for the 50 miles from Bishop to the Ski Lodge on Mammoth Mountain or if it was the elevation at the finish line. Either way it was really fun, especially when you were climbing Sherwin grade a nice 17 mile climb.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Scary enough, I was thinking of making the exact same thread. BoW is not my multi either BTW :p

The Tour of Holland (scrap the ENECO Tour for mine), Vuelta a Aragon, Setmana Catalana.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Scary enough, I was thinking of making the exact same thread. BoW is not my multi either BTW :p

The Tour of Holland (scrap the ENECO Tour for mine), Vuelta a Aragon, Setmana Catalana.

Sure you aren't!;)

Natural progression in topics. Scrambled to post this one... figured someone was on my heels.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The zuri metzge or whatever they called it... although i think it might still be around as an amateur event, and of course the tour of germany.... The only 2 i can remember.. It´s a bit gay they did away with the tour of germany, it was getting bigger and better, what a shame.

There is any number of races in the US, Coors Classic, West Virginia Mountain Classic, ThriftDrug etc but my vote goes to the San Francisco Classic, I went to this race a few times, great course, great crowd & all round great event.

Spain has lost a lot of races in recent years but Semana Catalan was always a decent event.

Agree with others on Midi-Libere, Zurich. What about GP des Nations made redundant by the World Champs.

There is so many races that have ceased to exist, its hard to imagine them all fitting into one calendar.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
No doubt about this for me...

The Grand Prix des Nations (sp?), the 80km or so TT that was held in France some time after the Tour. Way back in the 80's when I came of age cycling wise, it was the race I was always looking to read about in the old Winning Magazine or the rare Spanish of French cycling magazine I could get my hands on.

Yes, I'd go for Midi Libre/Languedoc Rousillion or, whatever they'd want to call it.
Deutschland Tour, too, as it was mega supported roadside.
Third pick is the Settimana Catalana.
All already mentioned.

I've gone for stagers as we get more for our picks!

One day race? Uumm...how about the Classiques des Alpes?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, I'd go for Midi Libre/Languedoc Rousillion or, whatever they'd want to call it.
Deutschland Tour, too, as it was mega supported roadside.
Third pick is the Settimana Catalana.
All already mentioned.

I've gone for stagers as we get more for our picks!

One day race? Uumm...how about the Classiques des Alpes?

We can thank Stefan Schumacher and Bernhard Kohl for that. Their actions in only thinking about themselves caused bad publicity and no sponsor would not go near it with a 10ft barge pole. So many other smaller German races that are the the lifeblood of the sport have also gone down the wayside in the last few years.

craig1985 said:
We can thank Stefan Schumacher and Bernhard Kohl for that. Their actions in only thinking about themselves caused bad publicity and no sponsor would not go near it with a 10ft barge pole. So many other smaller German races that are the the lifeblood of the sport have also gone down the wayside in the last few years.

you can really start it before that with the demise of telekom/t-mobile

craig1985 said:

SS battled Jens for the GC and Patrick Sinkewitz won, so there you had it.:(
Don't think Kohl was a major factor.

Paris Brest Paris (but that will never happen, I'm afraid).

So Championship of Zurich, Baracchi Trophy, GP des Nations, GP Eddy Merckx, Giro di Puglia, Giro di Campania, Trofeo Pantalica.

I would perhaps add the Coppa Placci, Milano Torino and the Giro del Lazio but I think they were cancelled only for this year.

TRENDING THREADS