• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What did this Giro teach us?

So, what did this Giro teach us:

- Basso´s (Scarponi´s) days of winning GT are over.
- Kreuziger (and Tiralongo) are not GC guys.
- Was it Rujano´s last chance for Grand Tour glory?
- Colombians (Henao, Uran) confirmed they potential.
- Rodriguez showd his consistency, but he is 33, does he ever get a better chance to win GT?
- Pozzovivo is good, but not good enough to win GT over 3 weeks.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
- That GT with Contador is way better than without him.

P.S. I still don't get why anyone ever considers Kreuziger to be a GC contender.

Von Mises said:
So, what did this Giro taught us:

- Basso´s (Scarponi´s) days of winning GT are over.
- Kreuziger (and Tiralongo) are not GC guys.
- Was it Rujano´s last chance for Grand Tour glory?
- Colombians (Henao, Uran) confirmed they potential.
- Rodriguez showd his consistency, but he is 33, does he ever get a better chance to win GT?
- Pozzovivo is good, but not good enough to win GT over 3 weeks.

It also taught me that Thomas De Gendt has more potential in GTs than I thought he had. :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Four Winds said:
Cav doesn't hold on to cars but all the other sprinters who accuse him of doing it actually do.

You mean Ventoso?

Get back to your cage. Cav should already have missed the time cut on stage 6, so I would be quiet if I were you.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
- Anti-doping course prospers;
- Scarponi and Basso will only get weaker but there are no young italians (except Nibali) that could replace the instantly;
- Rujano should better go back to Latin America;
- Kreuziger would rather concentrate on the Tour;
- With no vivid attacking climbers, the climbs are irrelevant and neither Zoncolan nor Punta Veleno would change nothing and, moreover, we should be grateful than the Giro didn't include more hard climbs;
- Cycling on GT's is undergoing an alternation of generations and many surprises await us at the Tour de France.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
That the internal situation on Radioshack is really good and that the Schlecks actually like to focus on other races than the Tour.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The new side too climb Mortirolo is a beast
That a few guys will be kicking themselves they didnt go to Giro instead of trying for a top ten/top five at the Tour(TGBM,Fuglsang etc)ok wasnt Fuglsang's choice but im sure hell be happy to be a domestiques at le tour for frandy instead :D
That trying to out grind a diesel hoping hell crack in the age of powermeters,race radios and tvs in team cars isnt gonna work and you had better try plan B
Edit, O yes not having bonuses for MTF's is a crime against entertainment

- GT graduation for Hesjedal
- An underdog like Rodriguez can get 2nd place
- Guardini is the real deal
- The new Basque hope: Jon Izaguirre
- Confirmation that all sprinters, except Ventoso, hang onto cars :D
- TTTs should be part of all GTs
- The Colombian invasion has started
- De Gendt is a strong son of a gun
- GTs should be held in they own countries, or neighbouring countries
- Liquigas was a strong team that ran out of gas
- Schlecks should always ride together

Well, we've learnt that if Uran finishes the Giro 7th overall and wins the young rider's jersey at 25, he's considered a future GC contender. But Kreuziger, who finished 6th overall and won the young rider's jersey last year at 25, is apparently not a future GC contender. I have to say, I don't quite see the logic here...

maltiv said:
Well, we've learnt that if Uran finishes the Giro 7th overall and wins the young rider's jersey at 25, he's considered a future GC contender. But Kreuziger, who finished 6th overall and won the young rider's jersey last year at 25, is apparently not a future GC contender. I have to say, I don't quite see the logic here...

Because Kreuziger never seems to improve since the day he entered the pro ranks.

maltiv said:

And that's ignoring his TDF performances so far too - 2009. I think we forget how young he was when he started performing well in the GTs. Still time for him yet.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
- That most GT contenders should invest more training time on their time trial machines so when a race comes down to seconds they can use them effectively

theyoungest said:
Actually, the course of the first Tour week is pretty interesting. They're heading in the right direction, unlike the Giro.

Pretty interesting you say? Let's see...

Sat. prologue. Same old same old
Sun. uphill bunch sprint. The stage isn't selective enough...
Mon. bunch sprint
Tue. hilly stage. Okay, this one looks promising
Wed. bunch sprint
Thur. bunch sprint
Fri. bunch sprint

Three bunch sprints back to back. :eek:

Apart from Tuesday's stage you'll likely have to wait until the second weekend to see any action of note.

Sat: the MTF is the only climb of note. :eek:
Sun. very good breakaway stage, but GC action not likely due to the TT on Monday. Wasted opportunity
Mon. TT

All in all it's not much better than what the Giro had to offer, I'd say.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
This is a fair point, especially as they have a lot of similarities. I suppose the difference is that Uran seems to have started to improve again after a few years of standing still, whereas Kreuziger is in a stagnant period.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
what I learned...

Denmark has to be the most boring Euro-place there is (what they showed anyway. That footage of Denmark is almost guaranteed to keep tourists away)

All of an era's Cycling Idols have feet of clay and a sell-by date. Sprinters slow down, mountains get too high and steep for climbers. We have to move on.

Baseball and football fans need home runs and touchdowns. Lots of cycling fans "need" attack after attack to keep from getting bored. Watching the race unfold isn't enough.

The Giro organizers set out to Internationalize the race, keep it hard without endangering the lives of the riders, and keep it interesting and exciting right to the end of the race. I think they succeeded in all of these. I was completely entertained (except for the boring Denmark bits) and hope they KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

TRENDING THREADS