• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you think should be done about stage 16?

What would you do about stage 16?

• Other (say below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At this point, nothing can be done without making things worse or even more unfair. They screwed up, just accept it, get the top brass of RCS to resign and go on with the race.

Now, if we're talking about what they should have done yesterday during the stage...

yespatterns said:
Lol, i can't wait for the rage a certain couple of posters will express when Quintana gains minutes over the next few days.

Why would there be a rage about it? Then we all will know he deserved the win. I can imagine the rage if he wins by less than 3 minutes (not even going to mention 2 minutes because then all hell would break loose), or Rolland or Hesjedal make it to the podium by a small margin

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
All the team leaders were agreeing about the fact the 2 minutes Quintana and co got in the descent, would not be taken into account in terms of the GC. Even Unzue agreed with that. If the Giro-organisation doesn't want to listen to this anymore, all hope is lost.

I've posted this elsewhere, but it seems worth posting again. This is the "Race Incidents" regulation, rule 2.2.029 of the UCI manual.

In case of an accident or incident that could impinge upon the normal conduct of a race in general or a particular stage thereof, race director may, after obtaining the agreement of the commissaires' panel and having informed the timekeepers, at any moment, decide:

• to modify the course,
• to temporarily neutralize the race or stage,
• to declare a stage null and voice,
• to cancel part of a stage as well as the results of any possible intermediate classifications and to restart the stage near the place of the incident,
• to let the results stand or
• to restart the race or stage, taking account of the gaps recorded at the moment of the incident.

I voted in this poll to let the results stand, as per the option given in the rules. I do not know whether or not Quintana and the others acted in an unsportsmanlike manner in taking advantage of the confusion (caused by the organizer's poor communication efforts), but I do believe in following rules. I haven't found or seen any clear proof that the riders broke any rules

A side issue here is that the rules themselves seem insufficient and are unnecessarily broad. I almost wish some of the statistics and regulations wonks who govern baseball in the USA would have a hand at the UCI road rules. They'd get a lot longer, but at least there would be a lot more guidance.

In this case, unfortunately, what's best for the sport is not necessarily what's fairest or best for all the affected riders, and I believe what's best for the sport is to let the results stand. I wish there was some way to fine or otherwise punish the organizers for their poor preparation and management, though.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There is too many people who are at fault, so to punish a select few would be unfair. Let the results stand. Reward aggressive riding. while at the same time make the UCI and race organizers go and rewrite the rules/communication and come out with the exact words that race managers must state so that this never happens again.

Arredondo said:
All the team leaders were agreeing about the fact the 2 minutes Quintana and co got in the descent, would not be taken into account in terms of the GC. Even Unzue agreed with that. If the Giro-organisation doesn't want to listen to this anymore, all hope is lost.

That's my thought. As it is now, Nairo could conceivably ride defensively the rest of the Giro, (though I don't think he will) get the victory, and keep the controversy going for years.

Btw, if that's the way you feel, you should vote accordingly.

Actually no idea, from what i've gathered they weren't supposed to attack and ignored that rule. I don't think they should take time gaps of after the descent or before the final climb, cause that's too arbitrary. I do think a penalty should be given. Maybe a time penalty of 1 or 2 minutes, or (if you want it to be symbolically) 20 points from the red jersey. If they wanted to DSQ they should've been clearer and they should've done it during the stage

They have to look at Formula 1, there should be UCI rules about this

lenric said:
Uran, as a true leader, should have followed Quintana. Contador would've done it as well as Armstrong. Damn, Nibali would've done it too.

Nibali would have been on the bottom of the descent two minutes ahead of even Quintana. ;)

But you're right. A true boss champion would never have let Quintana go out of his sights.

lenric said:
Uran, as a true leader, should have followed Quintana. Contador would've done it as well as Armstrong. Damn, Nibali would've done it too.

I pretty much agree with you, but Uran said one thing that is probably true. All the riders had coats on. It was hard to differentiate between the support riders and their captains. Quintana at the moment looked just like every other Moviestar rider. Uran said that he thinks he just simply missed Quintana amongst all the other riders.

TRENDING THREADS