• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

What does Schleck know that most won't admit?

Mar 10, 2009
182
0
0
"Armstrong is very, very strong and he's very lean," the younger of the Schleck brothers, and best young rider in last year's Tour, said of the seven-times Tour champion.

"He has the engine to win the Tour. A lot of riders focus more on Contador, but Armstrong has a good card to play.

"If one day he has the chance to take some time, he won't miss it. And then he will be very hard to catch," the 24-year-old Luxembourg climber told reporters on the rest day in Limoges.

Schleck, the leader of the Saxo Bank team, was unable to react when Contador attacked on the final climb to Arcalis, in Andorra, Friday, but he does not believe the 2007 Tour winner has the race wrapped up.

"He's strong but not unbeatable," Schleck said of Contador. "That day, he only took 20 seconds. We must wait and see how strong he is in the Alps, but with only one stage finish at the top of a mountain, he's not going to make huge gaps."
 
Robert Merivel said:
"Armstrong is very, very strong and he's very lean," the younger of the Schleck brothers, and best young rider in last year's Tour, said of the seven-times Tour champion.

"He has the engine to win the Tour. A lot of riders focus more on Contador, but Armstrong has a good card to play.

"If one day he has the chance to take some time, he won't miss it. And then he will be very hard to catch," the 24-year-old Luxembourg climber told reporters on the rest day in Limoges.

Schleck, the leader of the Saxo Bank team, was unable to react when Contador attacked on the final climb to Arcalis, in Andorra, Friday, but he does not believe the 2007 Tour winner has the race wrapped up.

"He's strong but not unbeatable," Schleck said of Contador. "That day, he only took 20 seconds. We must wait and see how strong he is in the Alps, but with only one stage finish at the top of a mountain, he's not going to make huge gaps."

Schleck knows its all about Contador. He believes he can drop Armstrong in the Alps. What he isn't confident in is whether he can drop Contador. His ever changing excuse about Arcalis tells you all you need to know.

This is about exploiting the rift and baiting Contador into doing something foolish in the Alps. But as Contador said, he knows that his legs cannot fail him even once during this Tour. Stage 13 and beyond should be nothing but fireworks.
 
Apr 22, 2009
124
0
0
That he's trying to play mind games? I like Schlecklet, but realistically at this point he will only beat Contador if Bertie makes mistakes.
 
Apr 19, 2009
190
0
0
Cartesian Centaur said:
That he's trying to play mind games? I like Schlecklet, but realistically at this point he will only beat Contador if Bertie makes mistakes.

And if he makes up 5 minutes on both Armstrong and Contador.
 
Jun 30, 2009
367
0
0
Publicus said:
Schleck knows its all about Contador. He believes he can drop Armstrong in the Alps. What he isn't confident in is whether he can drop Contador. His ever changing excuse about Arcalis tells you all you need to know.

This is about exploiting the rift and baiting Contador into doing something foolish in the Alps. But as Contador said, he knows that his legs cannot fail him even once during this Tour. Stage 13 and beyond should be nothing but fireworks.

although i think it's probably a close fight between schleck and contador (or maybe even armstrong) in the alps, i still don't believe he'll ever initiate an attack. he'll cover, he'll stick on a wheel, but he won't attack. i think he's an extremely gifted climber with almost zero killer instinct. maybe this is because he was in support of sastre last year, but i don't see andy taking on the field. just a skinny cadel evans (pre 2009)

i agree, stage 13 will be exciting. i also agree with what thoughtforfood posted on another thread, that this stage would be even more exciting if it finishted ON TOP of the final climb.
 
Does Schleck know that Armstrong is strong? Or that Contador can be beaten--but probably only by Armstrong and only if Armstrong manages to gain more time in another freak split on a flat stage or dupe Contador into staying in the Astana train in the mountains and then eeking out a few seconds in the ITT?

I certainly can't see Schleck making up the three+ minutes he would need on Contador in any of the mountain stages coming up, so I'm assuming this is about Contador's vulnerability to Armstrong's machinations.
 
Apr 19, 2009
190
0
0
I will admit I like watching Lance race and have been a fan since he was a swimmer in Texas as the same time as I was.

Now I agree Robert you need to stop reading into everything that is being said. The way you present your Lance perspective is almost sickening and makes it even less appealing to take you seriously.

The TDF contendors are manipulaters of the press, play mind games, and etc. We don't really know how any of these guys are feeling in thier legs. I don't think Lance can win but he can't be discounter either. Andy is smart and he wil only get better.
 
Robert Merivel said:
"Armstrong is very, very strong and he's very lean," the younger of the Schleck brothers, and best young rider in last year's Tour, said of the seven-times Tour champion.

"He has the engine to win the Tour. A lot of riders focus more on Contador, but Armstrong has a good card to play.

"If one day he has the chance to take some time, he won't miss it. And then he will be very hard to catch," the 24-year-old Luxembourg climber told reporters on the rest day in Limoges.

Schleck, the leader of the Saxo Bank team, was unable to react when Contador attacked on the final climb to Arcalis, in Andorra, Friday, but he does not believe the 2007 Tour winner has the race wrapped up.

"He's strong but not unbeatable," Schleck said of Contador. "That day, he only took 20 seconds. We must wait and see how strong he is in the Alps, but with only one stage finish at the top of a mountain, he's not going to make huge gaps."

He just want that one tiny little voice start whispering in Uncle Lance's ear: Lance you're the Man, f@ck the others, Lance you're the strongest, that little puke Contador is nothing... absolutely nothing... you can beat him, but first that little piece of $hit must know that you are the boss of this team :rolleyes:
 
You have to laugh.......this thread isn't going into the pigeon hole.

So, to continue in this vein.
I look to the Schlecks to add a bit of spice to this bland race, during the next fortnight . Both, but Schleckette in particular, have the acceleration on the climbs to cause major train derailments.
We all know exposure to the elements, effects the aged, more quickly than the young.

Teams that have experienced tension, this past week, while not being severely tested, are only going to fracture more, when the Saxo Schlecks crank up the heat.
 
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
This is a total non-issue.

It's almost as though an HR exec asks an employee "what do you think of your boss?" and employee says "he's great", knowing the boss will hear about what he said.

and Muppets analyze this exchange and assume it means that the boss must be the greatest.
 
Apr 22, 2009
124
0
0
Publicus said:
I'm going to guess that our responses were not quite what Bobby was looking for when he posted this. :D:D:D

Indeed, especially given that this seems to be a c/p of a yahoo article entitled "Schleck tips Lance to win the Tour" ... I raised an eyebrow at the headline thinking it would be a strange thing for either Schleck to say, but of course that wasn't what was said at all.
Sure Lance has a chance to win, but then so does Kenny Van Hummel (however I'll concede we're more likely to see Lance in yellow than Kenny).
 
Mar 10, 2009
182
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
You have to laugh.......this thread isn't going into the pigeon hole.

So, to continue in this vein.
I look to the Schlecks to add a bit of spice to this bland race, during the next fortnight . Both, but Schleckette in particular, have the acceleration on the climbs to cause major train derailments.
We all know exposure to the elements, effects the aged, more quickly than the young.

Teams that have experienced tension, this past week, while not being severely tested, are only going to fracture more, when the Saxo Schlecks crank up the heat.

I would agree with you, Mellow. It will be interesting and exciting to view.
 
Jun 30, 2009
367
0
0
Robert Merivel said:
I would agree with you, Mellow. It will be interesting and exciting to view.

i have to disagree. i'll bet dollars-to-donuts that neither one of the schlecks makes a significant/ sustained attack in the alps. they're expert followers.
 
ilillillli said:
i have to disagree. i'll bet dollars-to-donuts that neither one of the schlecks makes a significant/ sustained attack in the alps. they're expert followers.

Yes, that's the impression I took from the LBL.:rolleyes:
If not them, then who?

I'm glad they've picked nice wides roads, all the way to Paris. Things could get a little crowded, back there.

Doesn't hurt to show occasional optimism. I'm trying to live down the tag 53 gave me.:eek:
 
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, that's the impression I took from the LBL.:rolleyes:
If not them, then who?

I'm glad they've picked nice wides roads, all the way to Paris. Things could get a little crowded, back there.

Doesn't hurt to show occasional optimism. I'm trying to live down the tag 53 gave me.:eek:

Well you're right they HAVE TO attack, that doesn't mean they CAN or WILL though. So far Evans is the only one of the contenders that's actually attacking Astana. Schleck better put his money where his mouth is and do some serious attacking so I can see some good racing! Entertain me Andy I demand it!
 
Jul 13, 2009
144
0
0
Publicus said:
This is about exploiting the rift and baiting Contador into doing something foolish in the Alps.

If this is true, it is very savvy for a young racer. I think Andy beating both AC and LA would be about the best outcome possible for this tour.

Not saying it will happen, just that it would be cool.
 
psychlist said:
If this is true, it is very savvy for a young racer. I think Andy beating both AC and LA would be about the best outcome possible for this tour.

Not saying it will happen, just that it would be cool.

Could be savvy, or he's just following instructions from Riis. Andy's not beating either until he learns how to limit his loses in the ITT.
 
Mar 17, 2009
11
0
0
maybe shreks is trying the "divide and conquer" technic! A divided astana team will be easier to conquer than a united one. Question is, can he do it? Win over AC or LA having only 50% domestics each of the astana?
 
All this certitude as to how it will go... and yet they all still have to turn the pedals. There's plenty of people in Vegas who will cover your bets if you have the huevos to act on your prognostications.

Me?.. I have no idea, just an educated guess or two... But that's why I watch. How about you??
 
Jul 14, 2009
14
0
0
I hope Andy is right about 17 proving to be a very tough and selective stage.. at this point what concerns me is that he & the others could be even further behind when they leave Bourg that day.


Nobody but JV seems to be talking about the scary finishes (and the huge potential therein) of stages 16 & to a lesser extent also 17.

Getting back to what I was saying.. 16, especially, seems perfect for a strong descender to gain big. Gentle post-restday stage sets up a power guy to motor an attack from the primer gruppo near the top, and put 1:00-2:00+ in on the screaming 30k (@6-8%!) finish.. easily if he has a cooperating partner/teammate.

I don't feel well at all suggesting it, but if I were a betting man.. my money would be on Lance pantsing everyone next Tuesday for the Johnny.. :(

Surely Contador & the others have it well in mind. I just hope everyone is ready to come out and play hard.. if he takes 2:00 the tour will be over.

what ya's think?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Andy is too scared to have an attack against Contador. If Andy is going to win this tour, he is really going to have to ride like Cadel at this tour (be attacking). He is too far back already and will need a fair buffer from Contador to limit his losses in the Annecy time trial as the flat and realtively straight course won't suit him. Same thing with Sastre!
 
Jul 7, 2009
484
0
0
Andy seems very passive. Look at these comments from todays Cyclingnews' feature: "My mistake was not being up front when Armstrong went in the cross winds," said Andy. "I could have tried more and gone with Contador on Arcalís, but other favourites have more pressure. They will have to attack from first day in the Alps to gain some time back otherwise it is finished for them."

"I am 1:40 behind Contador, it is a lot, but in the climbs that can change one day to the next. Carlos Sastre and Cadel Evans are much further back and will have to attack. Carlos won't take time on the final time trial and to wait until the Ventoux stage [20] is risky."

Is he just gonna wait for Carlos or Cadel to do the job for him? He's never gonna win the tour if this is his attitude. Both Cadel and Carlos stated on the rest day that they're hopes for yellow is gone. Schleck still has a chance, but if he's just gonna sit on Sastre's wheel those chances are gonna fade quickly.
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
Wergeland said:
Andy seems very passive. Look at these comments from todays Cyclingnews' feature: "My mistake was not being up front when Armstrong went in the cross winds," said Andy. "I could have tried more and gone with Contador on Arcalís, but other favourites have more pressure. They will have to attack from first day in the Alps to gain some time back otherwise it is finished for them."

"I am 1:40 behind Contador, it is a lot, but in the climbs that can change one day to the next. Carlos Sastre and Cadel Evans are much further back and will have to attack. Carlos won't take time on the final time trial and to wait until the Ventoux stage [20] is risky."

Is he just gonna wait for Carlos or Cadel to do the job for him? He's never gonna win the tour if this is his attitude. Both Cadel and Carlos stated on the rest day that they're hopes for yellow is gone. Schleck still has a chance, but if he's just gonna sit on Sastre's wheel those chances are gonna fade quickly.

According to this CNN article - http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/07/13/cycling.sastre/index.html Sastre has certainly not given up hope. Judging by last night's Dutch tv interview with both Schlecks, Andy is hoping for a moment when an attack would not immediately be countered by three or four Astanas.